News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

GDead Thread

Started by VA $l!m, August 26, 2005, 06:31:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nab

Quote from: VA $l!m on August 19, 2018, 01:03:26 PM
and yeah, gonna pull out that show today. one of my favs. Cumberland and hes gone if i recall both some of my fav versions.

me too.  That Cumberland is off the charts. 

VA $l!m

Quote from: mattstick on August 19, 2018, 07:03:35 AM

4/16/78 Huntington, WV is top of mind over here...
concur. Gotta be a top3 fav version for me.
-I'm still walkin', so i'm sure that I can dance-

mattstick

MPP 84 gets kinda nuts and there is video to prove it...

Caravan2001

Quote from: Gumbo72203 on August 18, 2018, 02:25:49 PM
Hey guys!

I'm curious if you could all give me your most badass Jack Straw recommendations.  I'm looking for ones that reallllllllly hit on all cylinders during the jam, with the biggest Phil bombs.  All eras!  I keep searching for a favorite and I don't have one, and I love it when they really land that Truckin-style bomb hit.

Thank you!!

Some of the best:

1/11/79 Nassau is unreal (this is the "we used to play for acid, now we play for Clive" version)
10/20/84 Carrier Dome is a fucking burner
6/4/78 Santa Barbara has always been one of my faves
Along with everything else played on this date, the JS from 8/27/72 is a top, top shelf version.  I love almost all '72 versions.

nab

Quote from: nab on August 19, 2018, 01:37:56 PM
Quote from: VA $l!m on August 19, 2018, 01:03:26 PM
and yeah, gonna pull out that show today. one of my favs. Cumberland and hes gone if i recall both some of my fav versions.

me too.  That Cumberland is off the charts.

I've come back to report, after another listen tonight, the Don't Ease from this show is also a barn burner. I love the rhythmic breakdown in the second solo. 

That whole first set is gold. 

Gumbo72203

Quote from: mattstick on August 19, 2018, 07:12:54 PM

MPP 84 gets kinda nuts and there is video to prove it...

lol wtf.  Bobby wants that bomb on the '2' so bad and they just won't fucking do it.  I don't know what the hell Phil is up to.  Also, Jerry looks so....  just, not good in this video.  Awkwardly hunched over, looking at Bobby and Phil most of the song.  Eek. 

Give more more recs, these aren't bombing enough!  kthxbai! :D :D :D
"Just drink some water, and breathe through your nose."  -Slim, 3/7/09

Quote from: redrum on April 04, 2010, 07:45:51 PM
%% with alternated lyrics about a 1995 jeep cherokee that was also sacraficed on this tour.

Quote from: blatboom on November 04, 2012, 08:46:54 PM
I think I got it but he's such a spaz he'll probably never open this thread again

rowjimmy

Phil's up to about thirteen Heinekens.

nab

Quote from: rowjimmy on August 20, 2018, 06:10:09 PM
Phil's up to about thirteen Heinekens.

Well, that's where he started out anyway.

mistercharlie

Quote from: Gumbo72203 on August 19, 2018, 09:37:45 AM
Sweet, thanks guys! I think I'm more partial to the post-Keith versions for the power simply because I dig when the organ is there, but I'll check out these!  I swear there was one from '89 that was always considered THE version with the biggest bang in the jam, and the most power coming back into the "Jack straw from Wichita" refrain. 

On another note, I listened to 3/26/73 yesterday and holy good grief!  What playing!  And the tape sound!  It's literally just perfect.  The Truckin' -> WRS Prelude -> Jam -> Wharf Rat bit was fucking sublime. 

What really stood out to me though in that show is the caliber of Billy's playing in the opening The Promised Land.  Those snare rolls are just to die for.

Strange... I thought for sure you would love some KEY THORGAN!!!!
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

jam>

Not claiming it's a best version, but this is when you post that vid of the show from 87 where Jerry plays extra bars of the solo and screws bobby up. Good stuff (that I may have first seen here).

Buffalo Budd

No matter how many times I see it, it still amazes me that Bob dressed like a teenage girl in the 80s.
Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

VA $l!m

started a full '73 listen through over the last few weeks.
Up to 3-16 Nassau.
Just finished 1st set. Phenominal Bird Song and Playin to close. :smoke:

Hicks

Long Strange Trip getting a BD/DVD release with bonus live footage from 1970 and 89. 

http://www.dead.net/store/long-strange-trip-deluxe-exclusive
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

VA $l!m

:music:   Spectrum 3-24-73 2nd set today.
what a crazy set, w/some serious Spectrum juju.
Hes Gone>Truckin> (mega jam including Spanish)> insert Dstar 1st verse >(wharf rat tease)>sing me back home,  :crazy: :syf:

VA $l!m

today, 3-28-73 Baltimore
another MOnster show... really seems like by the Philly show and this one they had the WOS dialed in for the first time and the band just fed off it.
Really its insane the creative ground they covered since ROscoe maples in less than 2 months.
I think FEb/March 73 might be the biggest leap in sound they ever took in such a short time frame.
NOt a conincendence it coincides with the birth of the Wall of SOund and also Pigpen's death right in the middle.