News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

organize your CDs?

Started by AfterMidnight, October 08, 2007, 09:57:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rowjimmy

Quote from: CRAZYED on October 16, 2007, 08:33:17 AM
I think you guys need to look at Raid 5 not Raid 1 (mirroring).  Raid is without question the way to go IMO.  Raid 5 requires a minimum of 3 disks.  You end up sacrificing one hard drive for parity and the rest are for storage.  It keeps you 100% redundant but the disk cost is lower than raid 1.  For example i've got a raid 5 setup with 3x400gig drives which gives me 800gig useable 2 for storage 1 for parity.  I went with a higher end raid card that supports up to 6 drives and online capacity expansion.  Now that i've got some extra cash i'm going to pickup another 1 or 2 400gig drives, plug them in and i'll be up to 1200 or 1600gig usable.

Raid 5 is a common practice (pretty much a best practice) within IT EVERYWHERE outside the home user.  If you are a serious collector with a large collection, if you are thinking about storing everything "online" and not considering some sort of RAID setup you're just setting yourself up for a large loss of data some point down the road.

Of course everything is still burned to dvd-r for my second line of defense.  I still have a lot of other hard drives that arent included in my raid setup yet, but I mean if one of those other 400gig drives i have dies, it is a SUPER PITA to restore 400gigs from dvd.  IMO it's easily worth it to sacrifice on drive for the parity disk, i mean its like $80 these days.  Hard drives are cheaper than they ever have, if you're a serious collector take the plunge, not the risk of not being redundant.

:clap:
Well said.

AfterMidnight

i found a site for 54.00 a year and you can have unlimted amount of space for uploads. and you can take off you files any time you want. i'm pretty stoked on this. i think it might be time to ditch all those CDS and DVDs

bluecaravan521

:-o Does this site have a link?
Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not truth. Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is the best...

AfterMidnight

VA $l!m

Quote from: jasonsobel on October 10, 2007, 07:40:08 PM
Quote from: MarkDavidson on October 10, 2007, 07:18:46 PM
jason,
what's wrong with the system that you have now? why don't you like it?

I have a few concerns/improvements in mind.

the biggest issues for me are the following:
I'm concerned that some of the older CD-R media will degrade and the data on those will be lost.  It's nothing that can't be replaced, as everything is in circulation.  but it's time consuming to replace.  so I'd like to update to a HD system to get everything off aging media.  Moving everything to HD media will bring another advantage, as it will bring everything to "one place", and I can hook it up to my main stereo.  Then I can say good-bye to the hundreds (thousands?) of audio CDs that I have burned over the years.  The problem with having everything on HD's is that I don't trust it.  So if I get everything onto HDs, I'm not going to throw away the data CD's until all the data is also burned onto some other optical media.  but re-burning all that data to regular DVD's is going to be too time consuming.  that's why I'm hoping that either burning HD-DVD (or bluray) will become more practical and affordable, so after I move everything to HD's, I can re-burn to new optical media efficiently, and then not worry about getting rid of the older CD-R media (because everything will be on the HD's and the new optical media).  the other advantage of getting everything onto HD-DVD (or bluray) is because when the HD's crash and burn, it'll be easier to restore the whole collection from 100 optical discs (HD-DVD) rather restoring all the data from thousands of CD-R's.

so, that's really my thoughts on that.  as far as my current DVD back-up system, it works well and I like it.  the issues I'll be facing are: when I switch over to harddrives, it will be time consuming to copy 450+ DVD's to the HD's.   and I'm burning a few new DVD's each week, so the number of DVD's is only going to grow.  Basically, when dealing with terrabytes of data, it is just inconvenient to back it up (or restore it to a new HD) 4.5 gigs at a time.  so I am craving for higher density media.  :-)
off topic, but slightly related to the highlighted portion of the quote...

personally, my dilema is this:
now that i'm finally archiving shn/flacs to an ext. HD. and i've stopped burning wav CDs to listen to, i need to start planning a system for the future as to how i'm going to listen to my music.

what i'd like to do is have a home stereo system that i can link to a PC or HD so i can just stream flacs or shns for playback. i have a surround system that i can get an 'IPOD dock' for and get around it that way, but i'm afraid i'm going to have to build a whole new system. plus i hate MP3 playback, so i've avoided PMPs up to this point anyway. i've seen the powered sub and speaker BOSE system like august had hooked to his PC, but i really would like a full surround system like i have now that i can have my XBOX 360 and cable and DVD player hooked up to as well as being able to use it as an linked amp for my PC or HD.
and when i've looked for other PC compatible stereo systems, all i've really seen are lower end SONY products, and i'm not sure exactly what they are capable of.

any thoughts.
sorry about the hijack, i might just post a new thread in tech support...
-I'm still walkin', so i'm sure that I can dance-

redrum

Quote from: VA slim on January 06, 2008, 09:14:47 PM

i have a surround system that i can get an 'IPOD dock' for and get around it that way, but i'm afraid i'm going to have to build a whole new system.  SONY products, and i'm not sure exactly what they are capable of.

any thoughts.

i was gonna get an iPod dock but just got a minijack > RCA wire instead. would that help you temporarily?
Quote from: sunrisevt on April 13, 2010, 03:18:25 PM
It's a great day on the interweb, people.

Quote from: McGrupp on July 06, 2010, 02:17:12 PM
You guys know the rule... If you weren't there, it wasn't anything special...

---

Anyone who ever played a part, they wouldn't turn around and hate it.

bluecaravan521

Quote from: MarkDavidson on January 06, 2008, 09:12:04 PM
my bad mozy.com

Sick site! I'm gonna try out the free version for now- 2 GB storage for as long as you want- if anyone else wants to try it out would you mind using my referral code? It gives you 256 mb per person that you register.  The referral link is https://mozy.com/?ref=L6BUWI, or if you just go the site use the code L6BUWI.  I just wonder what happens when they fail... we'll see if I purchase...
Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not truth. Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is the best...

redrum

---

VA $l!m

Quote from: redrum on January 06, 2008, 09:31:53 PM

i have a surround system that i can get an 'IPOD dock' for and get around it that way, but i'm afraid i'm going to have to build a whole new system.  SONY products, and i'm not sure exactly what they are capable of.

any thoughts.

i was gonna get an iPod dock but just got a minijack > RCA wire instead. would that help you temporarily?

maybe...
but really i'm looking for ideas to plan a new system around for the future.
and i wish there were more mainstream solutions available and practical.
i mean i'm all for getting rid of using CD media to listen to music, but it just doesnt seem practical or possible  for me as of now...especially if i want to avoid mp3s.

redrum

Quote from: VA slim on January 06, 2008, 10:04:00 PM

any thoughts.

maybe...
i mean i'm all for getting rid of using CD media to listen to music, but it just doesnt seem practical or possible  for me as of now...especially if i want to avoid mp3s.

totally. i'm always wondering what my next step will be too. i feel like we're going through lots of advances at the moment and that i should just kinda sit back for a bit before i make that next move.

edit- i bet something will be out within the next year or 2 to solve this very problem.

---

sunrisevt

Yeah, I'm new to all this, in the last year and a half. All my first two years of d/l-ed music was in lossy formats.  :frustrated: But I'm hoping for that magic bullet in the next year or two, too. I'm closing in on half a terabyte of  :phish::syf:, in aiff and wav on CD, and in flac or shn on an external... just feels a bit exposed.
Quote from: Eleanor MarsailI love you, daddy. Actually, I love all the people. Even the ones who I don't know their name.

VA $l!m

Quote from: redrum on January 06, 2008, 10:07:32 PM
Quote from: VA slim on January 06, 2008, 10:04:00 PM

any thoughts.

maybe...

totally. i'm always wondering what my next step will be too. i feel like we're going through lots of advances at the moment and that i should just kinda sit back for a bit before i make that next move.

edit- i bet something will be out within the next year or 2 to solve this very problem.

damn, i think i found a great temporary and affordable solution.

http://onkyousa.com/model.cfm?m=UWL-1&class=Accessory&p=i

i have an onkyp surround system, so this might be perfect for me.

CRAZYED

I use the squeezebox for FLAC & MP3 playback.  The thing is brillant.  Also add the fact that you can tap into the entire archive.org with like 2-3 clicks of a remote from your favorite recliner.  Squeezebox will stream flac over wifi or ethernet without issue, crystal clear, digital coax or optical out as well as regular rca's.  A great built in DAC.  Handles 16 or 24bit.  Technically it only supports up to 48khz but i've played 24/96 stuff and it automatically down samples it without issue. If you want support for those super high resolutions you should probably look at the transporter instead which is their stereophile device.  They've also got this new thing called the Duet i dont know much about.  Checkem out.

http://www.slimdevices.com/

Slim, i think its calling your name brah.  This is your shit man.

VA $l!m

Quote from: CRAZYED on January 07, 2008, 11:33:05 PM
I use the squeezebox for FLAC & MP3 playback.  The thing is brillant.  Also add the fact that you can tap into the entire archive.org with like 2-3 clicks of a remote from your favorite recliner.  Squeezebox will stream flac over wifi or ethernet without issue, crystal clear, digital coax or optical out as well as regular rca's.  A great built in DAC.  Handles 16 or 24bit.  Technically it only supports up to 48khz but i've played 24/96 stuff and it automatically down samples it without issue. If you want support for those super high resolutions you should probably look at the transporter instead which is their stereophile device.  They've also got this new thing called the Duet i dont know much about.  Checkem out.

haha. nice edit.

yup...... damn, time to do some research. but yuh, this is the type of thing i'm looking for.
that transporter is ssuwheeet, but $2000 is a little outta my range right now.
but the squeezebox would totally be worth the extra dough compare to the onkyo device, for sooo many reasons---MAINLY because when/if i upgrade my surround system i could still use the squeezebox if i switched brands of receivers..... damn, i think IT IS calling my name.
'daddy's gotta a sqeezebox, mama never sleeps at nite!!'  :lol: :banana:

VA $l!m

Quote from: VA slim on January 07, 2008, 11:50:26 PM
Quote from: CRAZYED on January 07, 2008, 11:33:05 PM

haha. nice edit.

yup...... damn, time to do some research. but yuh, this is the type of thing i'm looking for.
that transporter is ssuwheeet, but $2000 is a little outta my range right now.
but the squeezebox would totally be worth the extra dough compare to the onkyo device, for sooo many reasons---MAINLY because when/if i upgrade my surround system i could still use the squeezebox if i switched brands of receivers..... damn, i think IT IS calling my name.
'daddy's gotta a sqeezebox, mama never sleeps at nite!!'  :lol: :banana:

so, one quick question for you CRAYZED:
now, how does it work, do you have to play files through a media player, i.e. winamp on your PC then it streams it out, OR is this thing a PLAYER and does that for you??... just curious, like if i wanted to access files from a ext. harddrive.