News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

R1/W11: 06-15-1995 Lakewood Amphitheatre, Atlanta, GA

Started by fauxpaxfauxreal, July 23, 2006, 07:01:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jephrey

MFMF - Great intro into a tight first verse.  What a great opener.  Tight
Sparkle - Nice version
Bag - Very nice version.  Crisp and clean.
OHP - The source sounds nice during this.  OK.
Taste - I've grown to love this song.  This version is kinda slow, but I like it like this.  It seems different and that's good.  Cool
Wedge – YES.  Great tune, and this is good placement IMO.  And the playing continues to rock.
Stash – This sounds very good.  Some more really good playing.  Huge piece of tension after the singing part ends for over 6 minutes.  The tension begins right after the singing part and is evident by 6minutes.  At about 930 the tension builds a little differently and around 11:00 the tension's building hard.  At 11:30 Trey didn't want to release yet, and even the release at 11:50 went quickly back to tension allowing another release at about 12:12. Sweet transition to
I Didn't Know – Slow version with a didgeridoo (sp?) sound.  This is cool.
Fluff – Another good selection with good placement.  The flow of this set is killer!  Great version.
Antelope - Way to keep the energy going into setbreak!  I like the jam in this.  Intense, but a nice section before the final build-up.  Tension at 8:10 releases at 8:35.  I like how not too much time is spent building up, it rages a couple times and then slows for the end part.  Great version.  This is my kind of Antelope.  Little off to start the run, run, run part, but turned out good.

A very high quality set brought to you by Phish.  I REALLY liked this set in a general way.  Nothing jumped out and bit me hard, but every song had highlights and were just plain played well.  This is a top contender for a first set... 4.45/5.0

Jephrey
There are 10 types of people in this world.  Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

fauxpaxfauxreal

Another thing to note is that during the I didn't know, trey sings a line about the burger balls!  (I just noticed this today....it's about halfway through, when the band starts trippilly slurring their words)

thelot

Set I:
My Friend: Always a welcome opener, too bad I missed most of this when I was there. :-(
AC/DC Bag: Raged!
Old Home Place: Nice treat
Taste: I love the versions from Summer '95
Wedge: Well played
Stash: Solid
I Didn't Know: Probably one of my strangest Phish moments while not on LSD. Awesome version!
Fluffhead: Tight
Antelope: Great version!

Set II:
My Sweet One: Nice opener
Bowie: HOT!
Slave: Great version!

Decent show. I give it a 4.0 out of 5 for this tour.

fauxpaxfauxreal

I just noticed that Atlanta, GA is the first city repeated during the show club...weird.  You'd think that Noblesville,New York City or somewhere else would be first?

Another notable thing about this show, in the Stash-->I Didn't Know, it's a very similar style to the Stash fest Stash-->Dog Faced Boy from Florida later that year.  Sure the Atlanta Stash isn't at all comparable to the Florida Stash...but the Dog Faced Boy and I Didn't Know styles are EERILY similar.  That said, I wish they had finished the Stash in Atlanta after I Didn't Know, I think they had an opportunity to make that portion of the show EPIC and it's an opportunity that passed them by.

sophist

Phish was always kind to ATL
even their last ATL show was hot!!!!

think about it
2/20/93
4/23/94
this show
Halloween 96
7/23/97
8/6/98
7/3 +7/4/99
6/23 + 6/24/00
7/26/03
Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

sophist

top notch phish for the most part.
Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

birdman

Quote from: phan003 on July 26, 2006, 12:42:30 AM
Phish was always kind to ATL
even their last ATL show was hot!!!!

think about it
2/20/93
4/23/94
this show
Halloween 96
7/23/97
8/6/98
7/3 +7/4/99
6/23 + 6/24/00
7/26/03
Ahem...lets not forget   11/9, 11/10, 11/11/95  :clap:
Paug FTMFW!

sophist

oh def good shows
too many to remember off the top of my head

Alumni

Set I
MFMF - Always a great opener. Very good version
Sparkle - Can't complain about getting it this early. Almost serves as an Oh Kee Pah going into
AC/DC - This set is shaping up to be as hot as a summer day in Atlanta
Place - Nice breather tune and a fitting choice: "the town," Atlanta, is a good match for the song
Taste - Another song I go hot and cold with. Thought it seemed a little out of place here. But not bad.
Wedge - Another great opener, this time mid-set. And what a run it opens
Stash - Agree with aug on this one. Really enjoyable, dissonant version, leading up to
IDK - which comes out of nowhere. Performed slowly, almost chanted, When the drill & trombone start - forget it.
Fluff - Perfect, perfect closer to a very good first set. Well played.
Antelope - Wow. Past 70 minutes into the first set, and here comes Antelope anyway. Nothing epic, but still very, very solid. Most of my favorite Antelopes fall into the 8-12 minute category, anyway, and I enjoyed this one.

Solid "A" for the first set. Maybe my favorite of the show club, so far. If not, it's right up there. Set II to follow.
Cause I got a degree

jephrey

MSO - I say good choice.  It doesn't damper the set later on, and it's a good tune to start things off.  I like the song.  Typical version.
Ha Ha Ha - Some say novelty... Not me.  I like this song and Spock's (which I wish was played more).  Maybe I listened to my VFC benefit concert too many times.  Short and sweet.
Bowie - Believe the hype???  - Strange eerieness.  Vocal jams in songs that don't typically have them is a sweet thing.  So, I'll believe the hype as far as experimentation goes.  It is a highlight and a good jam but it doesn't groove the way I want it to.  But still very good.  Nice tight ending section, although I usually look for a more enthusiastic style (I doubt anyone knows what I mean here)
Strange Design - I love it but Page's voice wasn't great on this one.  It was OK
Theme - This is one of those songs that I at one point didn't like and then loved it, and now there are versions all over the place.  This one isn't the crispest.
SOAMule - Typical 95 duel, but the 95 duels are awesome.  I liked this a lot
Acoustic Army - Very cool.  I liked this version.
Slave - Straight up good version.
Bouncing - probably my least favorite Phish tune.  I try to like it or consider it in a different light...  I thought I could after understanding that it was written like an african beat but I can't.  It's a fine encore though.  No complaints.
Frankenstein - Phish rules.

I may differ from all of you or maybe it's just a different day.  I prefer first set over set 2.  I'm going with a 4.113 overall but this set is around 3.9
There are 10 types of people in this world.  Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Alumni

MSO, HHH - no offense intended to fans of these songs, but . . .
Bowie - imo, the 2nd set really gets under way here. And after the first set, my hopes are up for the 2nd. Some weird reverb during the first "Bowie" chorus. Standard composed section. Jam starts, and you can tell it's summer, not winter, '95. Very mellow and sparse at first. Through the hlafway point, it's closer in spirit to Nov/Dec 94 than to Dec 95. Maybe not one of my absolute favorites, but this Bowie is *well* above average. Ending seemed fine to me
Design - Seems a little bit off. Still a new song at this point.
Theme - Enjoyed this one more than usual.
Scent - I don't usually listen for this one. Semeed fine.
Slave - Not my favorite version. It just seems off to me. Not up to par compared to the rest of the show.
Bouncing - Ack! you know something else is coming, though
Frankenstein - Solid

For me this show is top-heavy. Although I always enjoy a good Bowie, and this 2nd set has a very good one, the first set is where the action is. (Though the early Theme is a keeper). Set I grade: A, Set II: B, show grade B+ (solid, above avg.)
Cause I got a degree

sls.stormyrider

Good show!
MFMF - nice opener, good work by Trey
ACDC -great jam
OHP - good
Taste - good version for 95; better than fall 95 imo but needs a couple years
Wedge - I like this song, wish they played it more. good version
Stash - Whe I first heard this, I hadn't seen the setlist, show notes, or other reviews. Great dissonance in the jam. Nice turn around 8:30 and then around 10:30. Diggin' it. The jam doesn't totally resolve and then gets mellow - cool. But then - Stashus-interruptus!! On to I didn't know with a very cool, spacey mid section. I'm wondering what CK is doing with the lights. Now, it would be really cool if they broke back into stash (stash>kung>stash 5/8/93 or the 11/95 monster that faux mentioned). But they didn't  - oh well, still great stuff. and won't complain about:
Fluffhead
Antelope - love both of these tunes. "typical" versions, which means pretty damn good.

Set 2
MSO - OK tune, not my favorite for an opener
Hahaha - I like it
Bowie - very good version with dissonant jam. Either this or stash is the highlight of the show.
Strange Design - always like this one
Theme - good 95 version - I like the vocal harmonies. Like Taste, best versions start about 97
Scent - OK
Slave - I've heard better ones
Bouncin
Frank - nice ending

Enjoyed the show. B+
Thanks Faux
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

fauxpaxfauxreal

Ok.  Let me begin by saying that I absolutely love this show...I adore it.  I wanted to wait a little bit to give my thoughts on the show, because I wanted other people to remark on it first.  It was a pretty hot day in Atlanta and I had spent the weekend there with my best friend checking out Georgia Tech with his parents.  We stayed out in Buckhead and drove to the show and stopped at the Wendy's right off of I-85 in Lakewood on the way.  The first thing that I noticed was that everyone in Wendy's was obviously going to the show.  The next thing I noticed was that one of the Kid's toys was a "burger ball" or a tiny tot sized inflatable beach ball died to look like a wendys hamburger complete with a layer of tomatoes, onions, cheese and lettuce.  I didn't think much about it and ate my food and then we made our way to the lot...

My friend's dad had a hip replacement, so luckily for us he had a handicapped sticker.  We parked litteraly next to the tour busses in the first row at Lakewood.  The ONLY time I've gotten a good parking spot at that venue (normally since Parking is free or included in the cost of tickets, the lots fill up almost as soon as they open).  We parked and me and my friend threw some disc, drank sodas, joked around and hung out with his rents.  Our friends from school soon made it down and joined us in the lot where we proceeded to walk around.  We walked around and I remember thinking "this is really cool, it's like a tailgate party or a picnic".  As the capacity will tell you (14,000 out of 18,000 tickets sold----compared to LJVM selling out HARD that fall) it was a fairly laidback scene.  Nobody offering drugs or even selling glass or anything...and there was AN ICE CREAM TRUCK.  I promptly bought a teenage mutant ninja turtle, and we chilled out and chatted with the Ice Cream Truck people who were pretty effing cool.  It was awesome.  Etc.

We decided to go in, and on the way in, I noticed a few boxes stamped "BURGER BALLS" and people pulling out pieces of plastic sitting there on the ground before you got to the entrance.  I thought it was some kind of Wendy's promotion like when you go to the ball game and they hand out those little wooden batts, or mugs, or stadium cushions or whatever.  So I was like "sweet".  We walked in, and grabbed a spot on the lawn and IMMEDIATELY I noticed EVERYONE had a burger ball.  People were playing catch, writing things on the balls in sharpie...I was just like "damn, this is cool".  I think I got in on a hack circle.  We were all just having a great time getting to know our neighbors.

I was a little bit of a show virgin at this point.  And hadn't been exposed to too much phish (I knew I liked Icculus and Sanity....but the rest was kinda....alright)...but I knew My Friend My Friend.  Everyone was trying to guess the opener...and when they busted into it...I was like "SWEET, I KNOW THIS ONE!"  I loved it!  It didn't take me long to start dancing and grooving just like everyone else.  When they started up sparkle...I was like "hey!  I know this one too!"  and got down as hard as I could.  The rest of the set is pretty much a blur because a kind soul on the lawn hooked me up with a few puffs of nug...but when they got to stash...I knew somehow that things were getting intense...and I was hooked...needless to say.  I had a great time.  Fluffhead and Antelope both BLEW MY MIND.  Little did I know that the Bowie in the second set was going to TAKE IT AWAY.  I knew absolutely none of the songs from the second set...but I knew they were BAD ASS!  I was hooked!  And would have went to Raleigh the next night if we hadn't hit a snag on the road the next day...

Here's some thoughts on the show.  The first set is mainly light and fluffy until you do get to Stash...and I think it's a great version....ending or no ending.  It's very intense and methodical...as is the I Didn't Know that followed it up.  At the show the Fluffhead was my highlight, and on tape it's the I Didn't Know that shines through.  For about a year afterwards, I thought that I didn't know ALWAYS sounded like that.  I was like that's such a weird, trippy and sad song.  When I heard the "upbeat" and jazzy version, I thought it was "funny", but I thought that the version I was familiar with was the "real" version.  Little did I know...

The second set starts off in the jazzy summer vein with "My Sweet One".  It's a cool song, and I like it...even as the opener.  Ha Ha Ha is an ENTIRELY underrated song.  I love it, still do...and get jazzed for it every time.  It reminds me of a mutated version of "Frankenstein" except Phishier.  I love it...and it's perfect leading into David Bowie.  Short rockin tune...david bowie.  This Bowie doesn't seem to be loved here.  But, I think it's entirely perfect.  This Bowie to me sounds like an orchestral work.  It truly sounds like an improvised composition.  It is also a very very extended excercise in tension and release.  After the opening (I always love the echo effect on the vocals for David Bowie), the song spaces out quickly.  Trey is spacily noodiling and Page STEPS IT UP and carries the jam while Trey atypically and un rockstarily spaces over top.  Mike makes a lot of cool sounds too...and the space effects are THERE.  This Bowie jam definitely tells a story to me...and it reminds me of some of the cooler Dead Space moments.  The Bowie jam builds and comes together a few times...only to dissipate to absolute space and lack of momentum many times.  I love that about it.  It chugs and builds momentum....and then disolves into space.  Only to pick up 2 minutes later where it was a couple minutes prior.   It's space, but it's orchestral space, and I love it.  It at the same time seems to amble and go with purpose.  And it's sick.  Then it builds into the "SEND ME ON MY WAY AWAY (ksdfjdkjlwerweou)" Jam as the music is as chaotic and evil sounding as possible.  I LOVE IT.  There isn't a moment during this jam that bores me (even tho I can understand if it bores you).  It's so psychedelic, so dark, so orchestral...so opposite of almost any other phish jam that I love it.  And then just as the SEND ME ON MY WAY builds up...AGAIN...it dissolves into more space!  The band is purposfully not letting the jam stray too far in one direction, which definitely works.  This is themeless chaotic improv at its best.  Loves it.  By the time they get to the ending...DAVID BOWIE TURNS HAPPY!  This is a light hearted and happy bowie ending!  Instead of slamming you with a sledge hammer like Bowie normally does (and after all of that dark psychedelic improv, you'd think they would), they gently nudge you along the ending.  I love it.  Love the ending.  Love the jam.  Love the beginning.  Such a great bowie.  The entire band seems to be on task, and the space actually sounds great (to my ears).  I don't know if you guys understand what I mean by "orchestral", but that's how I feel about the Bowie jam and only way I can describe it....it sounds like an orchestral piece (albeit a weird psychedelic one) written based on an epic poem or story.  I guess I love this jam a little too much...but it was my first extended improv piece live...and it is a good one;)

They followed it up with Strange Design, and strange design quickly became one of my favorites when I got the tapes.  I love the song...and while this version isn't the best...I love the song.  So yeah, I dug it :)

The theme that follows is AWESOME.  I don't really dig post '95 themes (except for the post hiatus ones which rock)...and my favorite Theme's were all from Summer '95.  This Theme is TREMENDOUS (tho not as good as VFC Benefit or shit...the Theme before the Tweezer later that summer FLPAC?  Nassau?  I dunno?).  Great Theme.  I'm surprised every time on tape by how good it is.

Scent isn't a song I love...but it was perfectly placed at the show.  By this point in the show, the stage was LITTERED with the burger balls, all of which seemed to make their way throughout the night on stage (and it was before things were routinely cleared from the stage).  The mule duel was cool because it featured page playing the keys with burger balls and trey and page throwing burger balls back and forth.  Perfect placement for the song too (imo).

The Slave is a great one I think.  Sure it's not the BEST slave.  But it is AWESOME.  I'd take this slave over 11/21 any day of the week (a slave that I think is perfectly segued into...but isn't exactly the most soaring slave of all times).  It is a great slave.  And I never thought it was that great until I relistened this week...and I was like (halfway through) "Damn, this IS a good slave".

Bouncin...I was hooked at this point...no stopping it now...and frankenstein was just the icing on the cake.

All and all, I can't rate it...it was a great show.  Not even the most classic show that week...but definitely Deserving of a B+/A-/A

I always have loved the second set more than the first set...but I can understand if you like the first set more...they are both STRONG!

jedifunk

Quote from: fauxpaxfauxreal on July 26, 2006, 09:24:42 PM
The Slave is a great one I think.  Sure it's not the BEST slave.  But it is AWESOME.  I'd take this slave over 11/21 any day of the week (a slave that I think is perfectly segued into...but isn't exactly the most soaring slave of all times).  It is a great slave.  And I never thought it was that great until I relistened this week...and I was like (halfway through) "Damn, this IS a good slave".

first off, you are the longest post writer here!   :beers:

now about this slave... its good, but it aint no 11/21/97, that my friend is THE slave IMO... nothing soars higher and mightier than 11/21/97... every time i hear slave i expect it to sound like 11/21...

anyhoo, great review, and its great how similar so many of our 1st shows were....
Much Respect
(the other resident mac guy) [macbook air]
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

fauxpaxfauxreal

Quote from: jedifunk on July 26, 2006, 09:40:00 PM
Quote from: fauxpaxfauxreal on July 26, 2006, 09:24:42 PM

first off, you are the longest post writer here!   :beers:

now about this slave... its good, but it aint no 11/21/97, that my friend is THE slave IMO... nothing soars higher and mightier than 11/21/97... every time i hear slave i expect it to sound like 11/21...

anyhoo, great review, and its great how similar so many of our 1st shows were....

Well that bit about the 11/21/97 slave was post whoring on my part, I admit :D...I knew you'd chime in.  I do think this one does soar slightly higher. 

As far as the highest soaring slave is concerned...I am very very extremely partial to 12/30/93 and 12/9/95.  I think 12/9/95 might be the most majestic slave these ears have heard.

11/21 is pretty good tho ;)

Oh, and typing the most words is not the same as saying the most stuff ;)