News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

R1/W17: 07-06-1994 St. Denis Theatre, Montreal, QC

Started by Alumni, September 03, 2006, 12:22:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alumni

Sorry for the early announcement . . . not trying to step on anyone's toes here. But my hotel internet access expires in about an hour, and I'll be on the road almost all of tomorrow.

I listened to this show after trying out the Bathtub Gin on 7-5-94, and decided that the show club needed to go north of the border.  I'll mention more specific reasons later on, at the end of the week. 'Til then . . . enjoy!

Also . . . if anyone can start seeding this one, I'd be really grateful. I'll jump on as an additional seeder when I get back home tomorrow night (or start seeding it, if necessary)

Wednesday, July 6, 1994
Theatre St. Denis, Montreal, Quebec, Canada

Set I: Llama, Fluffhead, Julius, Bouncing Around the Room, Reba, Axilla (Part II), My Mind's Got a Mind of its Own, Carolina, David Bowie
http://www.sendspace.com/file/j5xhjt (160kbps mp3)

Set II: The Landlady > Poor Heart, Tweezer -> Lawn Boy, Chalk Dust Torture > Big Black Furry Creature from Mars > Sample in a Jar > Big Black Furry Creature from Mars, Harry Hood, Tweezer Reprise

Encore: The Old Home Place, Nellie Kane, Memories, Funky Bitch
http://www.sendspace.com/file/4wwr0n (160kbps mp3)
Cause I got a degree

mattstick

katzie

Wow! What a pick, this has a great Reba + Tweezer..

Alumni

Cause I got a degree

susep

fuck
I lost my 1st. set review

:evil:

I guess that's what I get for having a keyboard w/ no keys.

susep

restarting at Reba>excellent set up to this point, this adding, increasing the pleasure>crowd participation(which I don't mind), jam precurses 16May95 space, uplifting melody>building>very un-Reba like imo>nice, mini tension back into Reba>nice jam.  Fishman!  Tight.  Amazing version that keeps building, Trey in the ionosphere>dead stop ending>great version.
Axilla>"Summer...", kick ass tune>I like this and Sloth as consumate rock songs>no "turn that fucking light out" rather a long howl by Trey>
MMGAMOIO>knee splap, the ol' variety adage>
Carolina> I'm a huge fan of their a capella style.
Improv taping, gotta dig it>
Recognition of a spirit brother>playful open, like everything in this set>
"charge" whistle from crowd :-D>UB40>trippy open, slight 3 blind mice motif>patient jamming, atonal spaces by Trey, tempo increasing but splits into dissonant space before subtle release, atypical jamming, Trey carrying a riff, everyone else following>exclamation!

Excellent first set.

gainesvillegreen

Quote from: susep73 on September 06, 2006, 01:00:51 PM
restarting at Reba>excellent set up to this point, this adding, increasing the pleasure>crowd participation(which I don't mind), jam precurses 16May95 space, uplifting melody>building>very un-Reba like imo>nice, mini tension back into Reba>nice jam. 

That's an interesting comparison susep (not unwarranted by any means).  When I listened to it yesterday, I was reminded of 8/16/93, and thought that those who like one will like the other. 

Crazy goof at the beginning of Bowie!  What is the tease just before they make the goof, though, in the Bowie intro?  I know I've heard that somewhere before.  And the playful intro into Julius is cool. 

Sweet runs Page plays between 10:05 and 10:10 of the Fluffhead.  They do a uniform sustained chromatic shift downward during Trey's solo that is pretty cool as well!

susep

Set I: Llama, Fluffhead, Julius, Bouncing Around the Room, Reba, Axilla (Part II), My Mind's Got a Mind of its Own, Carolina, David Bowie

That's why I was pissed earlier, I had written unique comments up until Reba that I simply couldn't reproduce :roll: :-D

Julius has a very playful intro and hot jam taboot :wink:> to quote Old Milwaukee's Best famous TV ad, for a 1st. set, "It just doesn't get any better then this." :beers:
Alumni, I'll revist the 16Aug.93 Reba, thx for the insight.

Alumni

Quote from: gainesvillegreen on September 06, 2006, 01:32:57 PM
What is the tease just before they make the goof, though, in the Bowie intro?  I know I've heard that somewhere before.

There's so many during this show (and the night before) that it's hard to keep track of them all. The one before Bowie is the theme from the old TV show "The Munsters"

edit: from the mockingbird
QuoteShow Notes: The Old Home Place and Nellie Kane were performed acoustic and, along with Memories, were performed without microphones. Tweezer included HYHU, Also Sprach Zarathustra, Who Knows, and Donna Lee teases. Bowie and Llama both included teases of the Munsters theme song, and there was a brief Free Ride tease at the start of the show. Memories was played for the first time since December 28, 1993 (69 shows).
There's also the dance of the sugar plum fairies to start set II, and possibly some other unidentified ones

Cause I got a degree

August

this second set was a fixture in my tape deck years ago.
first time hearing the first set, though.

Llama-little "free ride" tease before this one.there is also a munster's tease in Trey's solo.cool opener with Fish on FIRE!

Fluff-are they saying "Fluckhead"?!little bit of if i could tease in the outro.

Julius-Bouncing-having some fun with the intro.the jam on this RIPS HARD!cool version.

Reba-Mike was lost for a bit in the beginning of this, but the jam is SERIOUS!the transition back into the "chill" part of the jam is silk.

Axilla II-My Mind- Carolina-all played well.

Bowie-always a cool closer.more Munster's teases.pretty decent version for 94.

Landlady-Trey's sustain sucks  :wink:

Heart-Tweezer-i know this tweezer by heart.classic version.i love the evil HYHU teases and the 2001 teases like they did in the weekapaug from 7-2-94.

Lawn-nice quiet solo section with Trey/Page interplay.

Chalk>BBFCFM-hard to describe, but i like this part of the set alot."HE'S RUNNING!!"

Sample>BBFCFM-cool revival.

Hood-Reprise_some "burnin' down the house"tease in there.nice version that really takes its time.has the classic Hood "note" that was the crux of many 94 versions.

Homeplace-Nellie-Memories-cool arrangement.different than fall 94, with fish on the mandolin.the madonna washboard is always a treat.

Bitch-funky.

great pick, Alumnus!
grade...
A

A

gainesvillegreen

Ah, the Munsters!  Dammit!   :wink:

Quote from: susep73 on September 06, 2006, 05:19:42 PM

:cry:

susep

Quote from: gainesvillegreen on September 06, 2006, 09:56:38 PM
Ah, the Munsters!  Dammit!   :wink:

Quote from: susep73 on September 06, 2006, 05:19:42 PM

:cry:

My bad gainesville, ha you're daily efforts will not go unwarranted> karma!

I did relisten to 16Aug. and while it certainly begins w/ a spaced jam, the 6July94 version, like 16May95, has the space section in the middle as opposed to the beginning like the afermentioned version. :-D

gainesvillegreen

The Tchaikovsky prior to the Landlady is a nice touch!  And a piano solo in Lawn Boy!   :clap:

susep

Landlady> again more play. 1, 2, 1234...I love this tune.  It certainly was a re-inforcer in my early quests to hear this band esp. during a somewhat stagnant contemporary music scene(before I discovered these guys).  Long sustain by Trey, kind of signature for '94> really Hendrixesque Trey was when I first got into  :phish:.

PH>fun

Tweezer>most definitely the tune that enlightened my interest(2Nov.).
Jam at 4:26, nice groove opens w/ psychadeloc Trey>by this time this vehicle had achieved lift-off and was now experimenting w/ various orbitals and outer-stellar diversions>HYHU reprises 7May reflection>slight vacumn>heavy chords by Trey, gaining(quite different from the funk but just as good)> nice, danceable groove emerges>
jazzy breakdown(this was played around the time of the famed M Jazz Fest.)>experimental jamming cont., funk>Trey on wha>nice jamming>Fish tempo shift>cool groove, classic '94 jamming here>back intoTweezersphere>2001 cadences by Trey, nice exclamation for this, a great Tweezer>Who Knows? riffage>nice jam>

Lawn Boy>good choice by the band(I played this last night at band practice :-D).

CD>tight, nice segue into BBFCFM>cacophonous>
tension
Sample>release.
BB reprise, intense!>
cool ending>
Thank you Mr. Minor>nice version
Tweeprize

OHP
Kane

Memories> a capella, certainly a more memorable show for any era.

FB>taking it out.

Great set. 

Overall Reba and Tweezer make this show a must have for any fan.  Consistent, purposeful, playful, improvisatory>  solid from beginning to end(relistening to Tweezer).  Nice pick Alumni :beers:

Grade: A