News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

08/12 - Outside Lands Festival - San Francisco, CA - Post-Show Discussion/Review

Started by mistercharlie, August 13, 2011, 06:29:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhatstheUse?

Every person I've met on this site goes to Phish for the music.  Some people "rage" some people don't -- but to suggest that anyone here is just going to get fucked up with friends is silly and proves that you don't know anyone here too well.
Bring in the dude!

thatfargone

Quote from: WhatstheUse? on August 16, 2011, 05:25:37 PM
Every person I've met on this site goes to Phish for the music.  Some people "rage" some people don't -- but to suggest that anyone here is just going to get fucked up with friends is silly and proves that you don't know anyone here too well.

LOL...reading into posts to start shit, huh?  Why don't you just put me on ignore...though we went though this already.  We don't like each other...no reason to try and start anything.  Also I don't claim to know anyone here except a few people I am actually friends with outside of Phish and this forum. 
Quote from: McGrupp on November 17, 2010, 02:27:48 PM

Don't FUCK with the dead. Bobby will kick your ass. You remember this, thatfargone. Dead is SER BIZ.

Buffalo Budd

Quote from: thatfargone on August 16, 2011, 06:16:29 PM

LOL...reading into posts to start shit, huh?  Why don't you just put me on ignore...though we went though this already.  We don't like each other...no reason to try and start anything.  Also I don't claim to know anyone here except a few people I am actually friends with outside of Phish and this forum.
Seemed like a pretty legitimate response to this

Quote from: thatfargone on August 15, 2011, 03:04:00 PM
Is it really for the same reasons?  I fell the older fans here are in it just for nostalgia.  How many of us with family and kids take them to shows to share this love of a band.  Or are most of them going with their old friends, leaving the family at home...doing things they don't want the family to know they are doing?  Im not saying this is true of everyone but I have friends that go to shows to rage it with the boys and maybe smoke or dip some molly or eat doses...and go home to the wife and kids who have no idea what they have been up to.

To me that is nothing but reliving youth, straight up trying to recapture their glory days. 
Didn't seem (to me) like he was looking for trouble.  Of all of the people on the boards, I'd say wtu would be the least likely to pick a fight bud.
Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

kellerb

I go to phish shows to hang out with  :wtu:.  I assume everyone else goes to hang out with me.  Unsure why people attend the shows I'm not at.

mistercharlie

"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

sls.stormyrider

Quote from: kellerb on August 16, 2011, 06:45:23 PM
I go to phish shows to hang out with  :wtu:.  I assume everyone else goes to hang out with me.  Unsure why people attend the shows I'm not at.

True.
The reason why I skipped GW this year cause I heard you weren't going.
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

susep

Like I was telling mehead, I hope Phish blows up just for 1 tour so Scotty can really experience it.  It would be nirvana = the end of all suffering(3.0).   

antelope19

Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment

sunrisevt

Quote from: antelope19 on August 16, 2011, 11:06:54 PM
Interesting......please define rage

According to Newsweek:

But according to many of our friends:

...maybe we need a new word?
Quote from: Eleanor MarsailI love you, daddy. Actually, I love all the people. Even the ones who I don't know their name.

UncleEbinezer

Remember that time?  Yeah...that was rage.   :hereitisyousentimentalbastard
Quote from: bvaz
if you ever gacve me free beer, I'd bankrupt you  :-D

gah

^^^ All valid definitions, but I'd still stick with this as my answer for rage:

Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.

sunrisevt

Quote from: Eleanor MarsailI love you, daddy. Actually, I love all the people. Even the ones who I don't know their name.

Gumbo72203

Quote from: thatfargone on August 16, 2011, 04:57:37 PM
Jams, should not end like they do and segues should not be forced after 3 years back...I'm very sorry if others feel this is just something we should accept and NOT be critical of.  Sure, no doubt Trey is getting more and more comfortable as things progress.  Hampton, Greek, Bethel.  Hell of a progression for him actually.  And yes, songs are being played better.  Fuck, they sure as hell should after about 30 live plays each since being back for even the rarer tunes in rotation.  But, compared to that, the rest of the progression has been very 1 step forward, 2 steps back.  They came out the gate swinging at Bethel with 2 above average, if not great shows, just to mail in the next 3.  They keep showing signs that good shows are planned and bad ones are just formulaic and routine.

But again, thanks Gumbo, your post has given me much to think about. Good stuff. :beers:

Thinking too hard and overboard analyzationalalysis is what I do here.  haha

I almost wonder if Trey did things like this on purpose, to kind of force people to accept the band as-is, or if it was an experiment in SETLIST tension-and-release playing... ie: a macro version of the bands jam style.  Kinda like a whore blueballing you before letting you get the hose. 

Either way, TFG, trust me...  Scott (wtu) is completely incapable of serious ill-will towards a person.  Dude is the living embodiment of glittering, exuberant spaceman-glee.  haha

"Just drink some water, and breathe through your nose."  -Slim, 3/7/09

Quote from: redrum on April 04, 2010, 07:45:51 PM
%% with alternated lyrics about a 1995 jeep cherokee that was also sacraficed on this tour.

Quote from: blatboom on November 04, 2012, 08:46:54 PM
I think I got it but he's such a spaz he'll probably never open this thread again

sophist

Really?  Right away I can think of a few people we both know that personify what is wrong with the scene and exemplify what Joe is talking about.  As much as I would like to paint a picture of this board being all rainbows and hugs, and being good fans.  Some of us suck, and do get lost in the storm.  I'll even be the first to admit, I've gotten caught up in the "fun" and it's been a deterrent for me at seeing shows.  Partying hard is something the majority of Phish fans do, there is no argument about that.  In fact, the only person I know on this board who isn't partying at Phish is Postjack.  Everyone else I've met, I've seen varying degrees of fucked up and sobriety from them.  Everyone else on here is partaking in drinking, and drugs.  To what degree, yes, it does vary.  But at the end of the day, using is using, and it goes on with many of us. 

That environment is part of Phish and while we do love the music, we also love to party.  I'll be a dick here, and point out, that I think many of us, wouldn't or couldn't do sober 3.0 (myself included).  I think Joe has a point, and I also think you have a point as well Scott.  But we don't need to sugarcoat the reality of the situation.  With this type of music, a dark side will always exist, and most of us will walk that fine line.  I have friends outside this board that love teh phish, but when it comes to a show, they're scrambling preshow to find drugs, and they're partying. 

I don't hide what I do, and I'm fine with admitting that I like to rage.  However, I get asked about drugs a lot from people outside this board and on this board.  It doesn't bother me, but it is eye opening to me, to constantly be asked about what is going on, and to me, it goes back to Joe's point, while we may love the music, it's also about being in the right state of mind for the music, and that is a big part of seeing these shows. 

To throw myself under the bus here, I got fucked out of my gourd for five straight nights with you Scott.  Was it a lot of fun?  Hell to the fucking yes.  We had profound late night conversations about life and music, we laughed our asses off, and we had a hell of a time burning the Southeast down.  At the same time, I fully recognized that I, this one person who knows Phish, and knows their music very well, and loves them with all my heart is contributing in a negative manner to the scene.  There is no way to justify using and spin it in a positive light.  The man I worship on guitar has to watch us all getting fucked out of our gourd every night, how fucked up is that?  Someone trying to maintain a clean and healthy lifestyle is exposed to the most tepid and disgusting habits of his phans on a nightly basis.  How is this a good thing?  To me, it's only a testament to Trey's character, and at the same time a disgusting reality of what the jam band scene can be.  Sure, every niche has its dirt, but to me, we are by far the worse.  At the non-jam shows I've seen this year, the crowds look so much healthier, and you can just see a difference, it's profound (at least to me).   So my point is that it's really hard for me to sit back and act like we're doing this noble thing at shows.  We're not.  If we actually gave a shit about Trey's well being, the fans as a whole wouldn't expose him to what he is adamantly trying to avoid.  But we don't do that, we are all selfish bastards that put our good time first, and I think that has also impacted the music the band is making as well. 

An overindulgence in various substances (licit and illicit).   
Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

Buffalo Budd

I know I've said this before but I think alot of people are way off when they think that Trey is taking the fans wants into every aspect of the bands performance.  I think they have set the framework with cool venues, lights, great repertoire and when he gets out on that stage, he just wants to do his thing.  Whether that be rock the F#@! out, sing a balad that inspires him or transcend the space time continuum with an otherworldly jam (although not as frequent as most would like).  And like anyone else in the world, he (or any of the band) has off days where they just aren't feeling it.  Most phans, being keen listeners, will notice this sort of thing but they could come out the next day and throw down like they have been in Chi-town.  Dude's done enough at this point and is still doing it because he loves music, his music, not what the fans belly ache about.  I also think that after 28 years of doing this, he is past the point of caring about whining fans saying they don't jam anymore, wish it was the glory days, etc.  He knows he'll get paid at the end of the day for doing something he loves.
Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.