News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

2010 Election Results

Started by StCarl, November 03, 2010, 03:32:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hicks

Quote from: aphineday on November 04, 2010, 11:22:18 AM
Quote from: guyforget on November 04, 2010, 01:44:16 AM
but at the end of the day, none of these tea party candidates have much of a chance in a federal election vs. barack obama.  so go ahead and put them in the spotlight.... 
Very valid point. As much as this seems like a "message to America", it's  all relative to the situation. This is a mid-term election. The Republicans won big because (and I'm actually a little shocked at this) because they mobilized their base of an unprecedented amount of anonymous corporate campaign funding. There is absolutely zero chance that any of these tea party guys holds any national weight against a mobilized Democratic/Independent base.

FYP
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

guyforget

-AD_

sls.stormyrider

Quote from: Hicks on November 04, 2010, 01:39:23 PM
but at the end of the day, none of these tea party candidates have much of a chance in a federal election vs. barack obama.  so go ahead and put them in the spotlight.... 
Very valid point. As much as this seems like a "message to America", it's  all relative to the situation. This is a mid-term election. The Republicans won big because (and I'm actually a little shocked at this) because they mobilized their base of an unprecedented amount of anonymous corporate campaign funding. There is absolutely zero chance that any of these tea party guys holds any national weight against a mobilized Democratic/Independent base.

FYP
not to mention the continuous hate spewing diatribes.

here's the thing. bailouts suck. I get it. I'm not happy that I had to help bail out GM.
But guess what - if GM went under, unemployment would have skyrocketed. Would have been deadly. Not just GM workers, but the companies that make things for GM, sell GM cars, parts, etc. Huge.
Now, GM is on the way back. It was clearly the right thing to do.
What do the tea partyers and GOP say to that?
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

Undermind

Quote from: slslbs on November 04, 2010, 06:13:17 PM

FYP

here's the thing. bailouts suck. I get it. I'm not happy that I had to help bail out GM.
But guess what - if GM went under, unemployment would have skyrocketed. Would have been deadly. Not just GM workers, but the companies that make things for GM, sell GM cars, parts, etc. Huge.

"We need to take the country back"??

That's about all they seem to say. 
Trey at Darien Music Center on 8/13/09 while paying respect to Les Paul
Quote...and hopefully we'll be playing well into our nineties and hopefully you guys will be there too

Phish Video Collection Blog

aphineday

Quote from: Undermind on November 04, 2010, 06:38:21 PM
Quote from: slslbs on November 04, 2010, 06:13:17 PM

FYP

"We need to take the country back"??

That's about all they seem to say. 

That and as Letterman poignantly put it last night:

Tea Partyers: "We sent a message to America. We sent a message to America!"
Letterman: "Yeah, okay we get it... just calm down".
Tea Partyers: "WE SENT A MESSAGE TO AMERICA"
Letterman: "Yeah, yeah again, no one gives a damn"

Truth is, these clowns have such nothingness in terms of plans, that they rely on guttural blurbs of half-truths, and mud slinging, untrue attack ads to invoke knee-jerk reactions in their voting base. The fact that our Supreme Court somehow overturned the cap on corporate contributions to campaigns is absolutely gut-wrenching. It makes me sad to be an American.
If we could see these many waves that flow through clouds and sunken caves...

kellerb

With the large deficit we've been running due to the Bush presidency, its awful nice of the Tea Party to volunteer to reduce the size of Gov't. 

I've only heard the soundbites, but I'm assuming the first chunks of Gov't to be reduced in size will be all the services that directly benefit Tea Partiers.  I'm glad they stepped up to take one for the team.

Hicks

Quote from: kellerb on November 05, 2010, 10:10:31 AM
With the large deficit we've been running due to the Bush presidency, its awful nice of the Tea Party to volunteer to reduce the size of Gov't. 

I've only heard the soundbites, but I'm assuming the first chunks of Gov't to be reduced in size will be all the services that directly benefit Tea Partiers.  I'm glad they stepped up to take one for the team.

Right, they conveniently forget that Bush inherited a budget surplus from Clinton that he promptly pissed away on Iraq. 
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

Undermind

Quote from: Hicks on November 05, 2010, 11:05:02 AM
Quote from: kellerb on November 05, 2010, 10:10:31 AM

Right, they conveniently forget that Bush inherited a budget surplus from Clinton that he promptly pissed away on Iraq.

Ding Ding Ding ---- Circle gets a square!!!!
Trey at Darien Music Center on 8/13/09 while paying respect to Les Paul
Quote...and hopefully we'll be playing well into our nineties and hopefully you guys will be there too

Phish Video Collection Blog

Guyute

Connecticut has a mess on its hands in the governors race.    Bridgeport ran out of ballots, then lost a bag, then found a bag and had their polls kept open longer.   Then the tallies were released, then released again.  The numbers from some towns don't match what the registrar of voters is saying.   Think this may end up in court fighting about hanging chads.
Good decisions come from experience;
Experience comes from bad decisions.

About to open a bottle of Macallan.  There's my foreign policy; I support Scotland.

StCarl

Quote from: StCarl on November 03, 2010, 05:08:01 PM
Quote from: guyforget on November 03, 2010, 03:42:06 PMits no longer close enough to trigger an automatic recount

Looks like it may be close enough here to have a recount before we get a new Gov...

It was, and that process ended today.  The Democrat won by 9000-some votes, so there you go.

What is pissing me off is the new Governor in Wisconsin promising to reject all the federal money for high speed trains unless he can use it for something other than high speed trains.  The federal gov't says the high speed train money is for high speed trains, wtf don't you understand, Wisconsin?  So the gist is if they're going to refuse to use it for high speed trains, it'll go to some other state.

Yo, dude.  I live in Minneapolis.  I want high speed rail to Chicago.  So do a lot of people.  Why you got to fuck with the program?
Quote from: McGrupp on January 25, 2011, 02:39:37 PM
your overall taste in phish shows perplexes me.