News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

08/02 - Red Rocks - Morrison, CO - Post-Show Discussion and Review

Started by Poster Nutbag, August 03, 2009, 01:54:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buffalo Budd

Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

whatapiper

anyone else really diggin this reba? man, i think it sounds amazing, the composed section sounds pretty good and the jam is basically perfect imo, i would have been very happy to be there...
We are all and we are all we are
Far flung bits of Sun and bits of Stars
From the  ocean from the land from the
beginning to end
Backwards forwards back toward
we belong

Superfreakie

Quote from: Phishy69 on August 05, 2009, 08:32:57 AM
Quote from: Gumbo72203 on August 04, 2009, 11:00:13 PM
Billy was dosed at the Obama shit?
That seems a little out there.  Where did you find that info?  I'd be pretty impressed if Kreutzman could still hold it down while tripping.  :clap:

I didn't find that info, my friends were in fact trippin' with him and RJ is right, the sketchiness from doses is in your head not the L, unless you have an analog which is really rare. RJ is also right about experience, when you eat L like tic tacs you inevitably familiarize yourself with that universe. Third, Billy wasn't "walking with God" dosed but he was dosed. Go watch the 74 GD movie if you question playing while trippin', at times during those shows they all tripped; Bobby walks back stage and makes a comment about how he is on it when asked. Donna and Keith don't have an interview because when it came time for their interview they had been dosed too hard to be coherent. I think I remember Donna saying that at one point, she was hiding under the piano (obviously not as experienced as the boys).  
Que te vaya bien, que te vaya bien, Te quiero más que las palabras pueden decir.

fauxpaxfauxreal

Quote from: ceevee on August 04, 2009, 01:54:04 PM
Quote from: Sophist on August 04, 2009, 01:50:13 PM
Quote from: khalpin on August 04, 2009, 01:24:42 PM
We both agreed that 11.2.96 was a fine example of how having an extra drummer was beneficial to the music in that particular case.  

Agreed! The addition of a percussionist (esp Perazzo) really added a lot to those jams.
The song selection there helped too.

The show with Guliotti from that previous week is effing hot too. (Tweezer what what?)

mehead

finally getting around to listening to this one...diggin' the 2001..didn't care for the 7 below at all
His eyes were clean and pure but his mind was so deranged

Buffalo Budd

Quote from: Superfreakie on August 05, 2009, 03:41:56 PM
I didn't find that info, my friends were in fact trippin' with him and RJ is right, the sketchiness from doses is in your head not the L, unless you have an analog which is really rare. RJ is also right about experience, when you eat L like tic tacs you inevitably familiarize yourself with that universe. Third, Billy wasn't "walking with God" dosed but he was dosed. Go watch the 74 GD movie if you question playing while trippin', at times during those shows they all tripped; Bobby walks back stage and makes a comment about how he is on it when asked. Donna and Keith don't have an interview because when it came time for their interview they had been dosed too hard to be coherent. I think I remember Donna saying that at one point, she was hiding under the piano (obviously not as experienced as the boys).  
Nice, I don't have the same experience with it as some heads.  I've always stuck with mushies in my psychedelic experience.
I know, not the same.
Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

okelnard

Quote from: Hicks on August 04, 2009, 03:18:57 PM
Quote from: okelnard on August 04, 2009, 03:13:22 PM
Quote from: Hicks on August 04, 2009, 11:35:44 AM
Had a great time at this one hanging with disco and wife, big ups to Matt and t34m Canada for helping us secure a spot right next to the SBD! 

Anybody else hearing Mike teasing Flashlight in 2001 or was I just creating teases from thin air again?    :wtu:

:?  Now I'll have to go back and see if I pick that up or not.  I thought there was something that didn't quite sound like pure 2001 in there...

Nice, let me know if I'm crazy or not!

you may be crazy, but not for that reason.... I went and found a couple versions of flashlight to re-acquaint myself with the bass riff (which isn't complex or anything) but I can't quite hear that in the 2001.  Mike does get funky, and he may do some chord progression type work (or just some repetitive pattern) that might be a tease there; I'll take the White House position:  I can neither confirm nor deny that such a tease exists.   If I could have a sit down with Mike, I'd love to ask him about it...
"What in the wide, wide world of sports is going on here?" - Taggart

"We liked number 217."  - Trey

"If you think you know what the hell is going on, you're probably full of shit."  - Robert Anton Wilson

okelnard

Quote from: Phishy69 on August 06, 2009, 12:13:52 PM
Quote from: Superfreakie on August 05, 2009, 03:41:56 PM
Nice, I don't have the same experience with it as some heads.  I've always stuck with mushies in my psychedelic experience.
I know, not the same.

great discussion... I've always found that "set and setting" are as crucial for a good ride as the quality of the L.  If you muck up one of those you can have instant bad trip if you're not capable of steering yourself to the proper environment.  Granted, whatever I may have thought of as a heroic dose most likely pales in comparison to the true masters...  (as was indicated in a previous post).

I did have a friend who was hanging with some of the family members on tour in '89 and he tried to keep up dose for dose, substance for substance with a few of them and ended up in the emergency room.... :shakehead:
I never liked that Jim Morrison approach  :crazy:, I like to still be able to recognize my friends and be led back to the car safely.  :-D
"What in the wide, wide world of sports is going on here?" - Taggart

"We liked number 217."  - Trey

"If you think you know what the hell is going on, you're probably full of shit."  - Robert Anton Wilson

mattstick

I really doubt Bill Kreutzmann was "dosed out of his mind" during a guest appearance with Phish.

ytowndan

Quote from: mattstick on August 06, 2009, 03:10:45 PM

I really doubt Bill Kreutzmann was "dosed out of his mind" during a guest appearance with Phish.

But, let's just say he was.  Cause, that would be so hetty, brah!
Quote from: nab on July 27, 2007, 12:20:24 AM
You never drink alone when you have something good to listen to.

Superfreakie

Quote from: mattstick on August 06, 2009, 03:10:45 PM

Please. I never said he was dosed out of his mind or that he was dosed period when playing with Phish. I said, concerning his discombobulated playing, I think he sounds high (as in smoked a joint, possibly with a few beers) because he is slightly off and it sounds rough. I did however say, without question, he was dosed at the Obama benefit.
Que te vaya bien, que te vaya bien, Te quiero más que las palabras pueden decir.

Poster Nutbag

The 2001 on this show is the tits... Page just wrecks it!!!...  :rockout:
Control for smilers can't be bought...

"Your answer is silly. What'd do you want the song to do? End world hunger?
It's a fucking Phish song, some of them are very complex compositions, some are not.

This one with its complex vocal arrangement falls right in between.
But that and a hook aren't enough so I'll let Trey know his songs have to start giving out handys." RJ

susep

Phish - 2Aug.09 Morrison, CO

Source: B&K4022 (ortf) > 744T
Transfer: 744T>wavelab (fades/resampling/dithering)>cd wave>flac

I

Roses - not sure when last played?, '00 perhaps?  dig this tune either jammed out or not, Trey indeed struggling w/ circus part, nice recording early on, surely will improve, omnipresent Mike, fun to hear.

Wilson - not a big W fan

NICU - back on track, Mike overtly loud, good but standard.

Caspian - kind early?, strange placement but this is Phish 2009, interesting lines by Mike, good effort here.

BOTT - this Farmhouse number has been more of a fav. in 3.0, nice strong Trey vocal, when he sang this is in early '99 what Train was Trey back on?, this tune is a better choice over its stylistic bretheren Possum in that its got more funk, nice variations by Trey, slight rythymic tease near 3:14?, Mike and Trey hooking up near 6:15, Page laying low on his clav, nice pick-me-up by Trey as jam gets slightly spacey before outro, nice.

Reba - jam opens near 6:11, love the purple hues of this jam/key(F maj?), nice opening, Fish right there, where is Page? somewhat low this far, focused Trey, nice patience and sustain, he and Mike forming a musical helix, this version reminds me of Darien '00, nice ending jam, nice dynamics, I think Trey was wanting to take jam further but ultimately heeded to Fish, solid version.

Grind - again, wtf?

Beauty of A Broken Heart - nice pic, loved the Hampton version, Trey's rythym reminds of his rythym on Golden Lady, " a finely tuned piano part...", nice Mike.

Sample - oh.

Sugar Shack - dig this new #, quirky, classic Mike(looking foward to seeing him 12Sept.), active beginning, I like Trey's solo lines, as I've said before Mike's compositions bring out a high energy Trey, really good music/song, confused as to why peeps aren't into this one? or TTE, this is the new Phish so w/ tunes like this I am most certainly entertained, sweet!

Waste - yawn.

KDFalls - slight wind before opening riff, I'm preety happy w/ most if not all of Joy material sans the title track, this tune has a Buddy Holly/'50's vibe as well, I wonder how Trey's daughters/friends enjoy their Dad's music?, "I step right up to the cliff side", serious Birds energy esp. w/ Page on his organ(does Page rock a B3 or other?), Chalk Dust + Birds = KDF, solid jam here nothing too crazy but nonetheless solid, fun Birds jamming, they could easily segue right into Birds, Mike again showing amazingness, jam mutates slightly near 7:25, great way to end the set.

II

Boogie On - jam lifts off at 3:16 > interesting tone by Mike, heavy Page clav, Trey bending his rythym into subtle leads back into peppy NICU style ska funk, Trey leads again near 5:10, holding on tight, hoping it will transgress, nice Page on the ivories oscillating w/ clav, rapid Trey, solid jamming here, super clean sound here, Mike w/ some serious thump, slight Gin-esque w/ Fish ride, jam continuing to peak as Trey shoots arrows skyward but fails he does recover nicely w/ some trippy trill action, jam shifts near 9:47, heavy rock riff by Trey, Mike lays nicely over that, Page filling nicely as well, Fish preety mellow this show, avg. riff mined by Trey, jam subtly increasing in tempo, pressurized underneath, Carini - style call and response by blues afficiando Trey, interesting version cool mellowness in outro

You Enjoy Myself - nice RR history, Trey chords in at 9:54, he jumps right into his leads, nice tone of Trey on this recording, solid but nothing too crazy except Mike continuing to show his out of the box mind-set nearly every tune, rock star Trey shredding it up, nice to hear him rip some lead arpeggios, into solid liquid Mike, interesting vocal segue into...

Undermind - Billy K making his apperance, trying to sound like the rythym devils, drums lagging slightly, mellow version into

Drumz - Billy's a veteran of RR, into

Seven Below - Bill definitely out of time but its kinda funny like Bob Weir w/ Chalk Dust, he finally catches on near 1:54 or at least is listening, sick Mike!!!, Trey and Page adding extra flair, surely Billy is giving these guys a new exp., jam bends near 4:30 but morphs back into main theme, interesting mini runs by Billy, Trey powers the band into a nice deviation near 6:50, chordal Trey, 25June04-esque effect, similar jam, cool jam evolves, alien jamming into

2001 - muddy segue but nice spill over jam, like a single crashing wave, nice segue in key as well, jam more mellow, nice funky clav work by Page underneath, dope Mike, doesn't really sound like 2001 as much as other recent versions, Trey rock riffing back into cadences into

Waves - perhaps a tribute to Billy the diver?, good.

Zero - I really like how this song opens w/ Mike and Trey riffing the intro, choice set ender.

E

Bittersweet Motel - bittersweet nod to your next lodging before Shoreline.

Bouncing - big room.

Slave - nice Aug '93 throwdown, nice cap to a very good run of 4 shows.

Overall I thought this was the weakest of the 4 RR shows but still had some good moments w/ BOTT, Reba, and SS in set 1 whereas in set 2 I wasn't particularly blown away by any of the jams, I did enjoy the atypical jams in 7 below > 2001. 

gainesvillegreen

Good review susep.

Quote from: susep73 on August 18, 2009, 11:02:47 PM
Reba - jam opens near 6:11, love the purple hues of this jam/key(F maj?), nice opening, Fish right there, where is Page? somewhat low this far, focused Trey, nice patience and sustain, he and Mike forming a musical helix, this version reminds me of Darien '00, nice ending jam, nice dynamics, I think Trey was wanting to take jam further but ultimately heeded to Fish, solid version.

E-flat Major > F Major is the general progression of the jam. Should you hear the bottom dropping out, that is a into B-flat Major (generally for two bars) and if you feel it get dark or tense, they are going E-flat Major > F Major > G minor > F Major. This is in general, won't hold for all Reba's throughout the ages.

Funny you mention that about Darien 2000, as I hear the seeds of the whale call in that version of Reba. At any rate, spot on comparison you made between these two Rebas.
Dysfunction and itemized lists of people's failures are where it's at.

willsteele

Highlight of this one for me was Boogie on.  Awesome jam I thought.

Hated the sit in.  I think it was a mess.
I'm the one who's gonna have to die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way I want to.