News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

R1/W03: 07-10-1997 Espace Julien, Marseille, France

Started by August, May 29, 2006, 12:14:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VA $l!m

well i googled the topic in question for pics, and found some from the tour-- not this nite specifically, but Page had his full setup, so... anyway, back to your normal programming.
-I'm still walkin', so i'm sure that I can dance-

fauxpaxfauxreal

Quote from: VA slim on June 01, 2006, 09:00:55 PM
well i googled the topic in question for pics, and found some from the tour-- not this nite specifically, but Page had his full setup, so... anyway, back to your normal programming.

Ok, I thought he did.  Sorry you were wrong  :cry:.

PSYCHE

IN YO FACE :P
:samurai:

Hicks

Quote from: whatapiper on June 01, 2006, 03:22:58 AM
still havnt had a chance to listen...been busy with work :frustrated:

Ditto, and add in weddings and graduations with the work. 
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

jephrey

I hope to get to it over the weekend, then on with the next on Monday eh?

:phish:
There are 10 types of people in this world.  Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

birdman

Finally got around to listening to the first set today. Work has been overwhelming me :frustrated:
   Anyway...First up...Dogs Stole. I love this song and I like it best early in the first set, so I was more than pleased with this version.
Limb...interesting due to it being an early version. nothing unusual here.
Ginseng...Another one of my favorite short tunes. I like the way the song matured after 96...tighter, more energetic delivery.
      Now...Gin. Really quite a phenomenal version..maybe not top ten but certainly the reason to listen to this first set again. Goes somenice places without to much noodling. Really a solid version especially when Llama pops up next.\
   Llama is really over the top...reminds me of 94 versions, almost careening out of control. The jam comes out of nowhere...anyone else hear hints of Weekapaug in this jam..listen to mikes Bass lines around the 5 minute mark. Sounds just like a 92ish Weekapaug jam. Or am I just crazy?
   Velvet is a nice cool down tune..like how the delay loops intertwine in the song. I seem to like this song nowadays more than ever. When they first debuted it I though it was so out of character. But now I feel differently.
   The lizards jam is alot of fun and very unique.
  Oblivious fool should fade away into oblivion

Cant wait to hear set two if the Gin is a sign of things to come...
Paug FTMFW!

sophist

got the 1st set playing on the ipod right now.  I'll have my comments up tomorrow.   :beers:

Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

whatapiper

ok, still havnt listened to the whole show yet, most of set one...hopefully by tommorrow night i will finish.

set I is up and down for me, the boyz are tryin out the new tunes, with a very fresh feel to em. 

dogs stole= never really been a fan, but the solo can be quite nice, this one didnt do it for me.
limbxlimb= nice early version that shows this song will go places in the future...
ginseng= i love some bluegrass, page always excites me...
bathtub= love this version, the jam is kinda forced/sloppy in the beggining imo, but just gets nasty, you can really here what 97 is gonna be all about.  this gin has "it", the sound that made me feel apart of something magical during the 16 97's i was fortunate enough to see...
llama= this llama rips! nice funk taboot!!!
velvet sea= check notes on dirt, this was better than dirt imo, every time i hear this song i think about coventry...
jam?= thats as far as ive listened, i try not to look at the setlists and just let the set unravel itself like i was hearing it for the 1st time...

anyway, i cant wait to get to the 2nd set on my way to work tommorow! :-D

:phish:
We are all and we are all we are
Far flung bits of Sun and bits of Stars
From the  ocean from the land from the
beginning to end
Backwards forwards back toward
we belong

thelot

Wait a minute they played Dirt :?

I actually listened to this show last month. Highlights for me were...
Gin> (incredible version!)
Llama> (ditto!)
Velvet Sea>
Lizards Jam (very cool!)
Olivia's Pool (I've loved this song ever since 7-29-97, my first introduction to x and '97 phunk :-o)
2001> :banana:
Julius (not a big fan of this song, but this version rocked.)
Magilla (fun version)
Ya Mar (very playful...I likey)
Ghost (nice version)
Take Me to the River (nice outro jam)
Funky Bitch (good version, I think I would've enjoyed it more if Seals was a little higher in the mix)

Nice Summer Europe show I give it a 4 out of 5.

August

sophist

1st set is solid, the gin is good.  2nd set is where the meat is at.  Good pick aug.  I like the funk in this show, very dark and tasty. 
Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

whatapiper

dogs stole, dirt, same song right? :roll:
beginning to end
we belong

sophist

alright the ghost is nasty.  I gave it another spin.  I like the yamar -> jam
very solid second set.  The first set has its moments, but the second shows why phish is phish  :phish:

whatapiper

so ive gotten as far as the intro to ghost.

i liked the lizards jam in set one, def unexpected, when i got in my car thats when the lizard licks started comin...very nice.
oblivous fool= i really dig this song, nice version

set II
2001= always a nice way to get some groove goin and set the mood for the 2nd set...
Julius= great version! extended ending with some phunk and jamz
magilla and ya mar were sick! you can really tell everyone is having a great time.
ghost...to be continued.
beginning to end
we belong

Hicks

OK, finally made it through the first set so here goes.

Dog Stole Things:  It's never been my favorite, but it was pretty cool to hear out of Tweezer at the Gorge in 03 and somehow driving in my car listening to this on a nice summer evening it was the perfect soundtrack for the moment.  Nice opener. 

Limb By Limb:  I think this is a great song, one of the best in terms of songwriting for Phish's post '95 output.  Listening to this my mind went back to the recent conversation of the history of this song's placement, and I think that this is near perfect setlist position for the tune.  It doesn't really work as an opener, in fact I'm not sure if they ever even played it as an opener, but in the number two position here it works as a great bridge to get into the meat of the set.  The laid back short jam is also a perfect warm up for things to come.  Short but sweet and perfectly placed.

Ginseng Sullivan:  :banana:

Bathtub:  Like others have said here's where the action really starts.  Trey has some pretty nasty dirty tone goin' on here before the delay and I mean that in a good way.  Then things get funky like only 97 can, I really enjoyed the sped up Ghost jam and I thought Trey did a nice job of bringing it back to the Gin theme.  Not in the same league as stuff like 11/23/97, 7-29-98 or even 7-9-03, but a great Gin nonetheless.

Llama: Amazing version!  I love when they take a tune like this that is usually by the numbers and take it out for a spin.  For me the level of improv here is the highlight of the set, Page is laying down some funky noises and Mike sounds like he's having fun with that acid effect on his bass, and Trey does a nice job of laying low to let Mike and Page have some fun.  It might not be saying much but this is one of the best Llamas I've ever heard. 

Velvet Sea:  Hmmm. . . Llama>Jam>Velvet Sea, sounds like they were trying to capture some of the magic of the previous week's show in Amsterdam, they don't top it but the sequence is still very enjoyable.  Velvet Sea is a great tune, totally underrated, and I love the conciseness of this version. 

Lizards Jam:  Reggae Lizards Jam, hells yeah!!  I detected the Lizards rift at about the five minute mark, with it becoming really obvious at about the six minute mark and the crowd responds accordingly.  Very fun off the cuff jam, and it fits in well with the laid back nature of the set.  This reminds me, anyone else think Trey was playing the Lizards rift during the HYHU segment of Tweezer on 8-11-04, I suspect he was.

Oblivious Fool/ Olivia's Pool:  Not my favorite, I think the decision to rework into Shaft was a good one, but who can really argue with a two and a half minute first set closer.

All in all an enjoyable solid B+ first set, hopefully I can listen to Set II before the end of the summer!
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

August

as for limb by limb openers....

6-19-97
7-26-97
6-30-98
7-9-99
12-8-99
6-16-00

its good to get it out of the way..  :wink:
a