News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Curveball - 08/17-19/18 Watkins Glen

Started by runawayjimbo, February 26, 2018, 02:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

anthrax

Quote from: antelope19 on August 20, 2018, 07:24:48 PM
Quote from: GBL on August 20, 2018, 12:08:13 PM
Big Cypress or some other warm weather NYE/festival

Or hopefully early in the new year or spring

:fingers crossed for Miami:

party at 'lope's!!

VDB

I don't need any kind of promises, refund info or any of that right now. Just some amount of communication would be nice. So it doesn't seem like the fest got cancelled and the principals simply disappeared.
Is this still Wombat?

GBL

Quote from: VDB on August 20, 2018, 07:46:39 PM
I don't need any kind of promises, refund info or any of that right now. Just some amount of communication would be nice. So it doesn't seem like the fest got cancelled and the principals simply disappeared.

This pretty much sums up my feelings
If this is love, I'm never going home..

mistercharlie

Quote from: GBL on August 20, 2018, 08:09:54 PM
Quote from: VDB on August 20, 2018, 07:46:39 PM

This pretty much sums up my feelings

It does feel like they should say something. I'm wondering if their lawyers aren't telling them to keep quiet until the insurance part is figured out.
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

tet

footage of the band from this morning: 

"We want you to be happy"
-Phish

anthrax

a make up festival is unrealistic.  an event the size of curveball takes 18+ months to plan.  there's no way they had another festival site even in remote consideration for any other event in the future as of a few days ago.  they had a great working relationship with watkins glen and put every ounce of effort into curveball.  i do think they got a bit screwed by the county and would not be surprised if they decide to never return to watkins.  which pushes their next festival even farther into the future. 

i don't think they owe us a festival.  i think they'll put on another one when and where it's right.

i don't think they'll be doing 3 sets a night at dicks because this doesn't make things right.  neither does a free barn couch tour. 

you are talking about a band who doesn't ever really use social media, except for mike's weirdness.  they've done dozens of 3 nights runs without saying as much as 1 single word to the audience.  i don't expect them to get chatty now.  and i'm sure management is telling them to keep quiet.  people are hot right now and you don't want to fan the flames.

best thing they can do is play 3 bomb ass 2 set shows in denver and then come up with something for next summer that is uniquely cool and uniquely phish.  i thought the baker's dozen was a lame idea and look how that turned out! 

things will be good.  just gotta give it time. 

mbw

Hicks

Bare minimum they need to release refund details in the next couple days. 

But yeah the suits are probably keeping them from issuing any additional statements, which is kinda lame but understandable given that millions of dollars are involved. 
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

rowjimmy

Quote from: PIE-GUY on August 20, 2018, 07:14:53 PM
Quote from: rowjimmy on August 20, 2018, 07:05:27 PM
Band statements need to be coordinated with actual information. I expect a lot of overtime is being burned to sort out what will actually be done about refunds, etc. when those questions are answered, something will be said.

Coventry ended on 8/15 - a statement from John Paluska was issued 8/23 with the announcement of the photo books, etc.

That's 8 days.
I expect something this week.

Disappointment is natural but I don't think there's any reason to get salty towards the band or their org. This was beyond them and they were also sad to see this go down.

In the interest of sharing information, here's a series of tweets from a guy I know who is relaying info from a reliable source (typos are his own):
Quoteattorneys at the governors office wanted to kick everyone out Thursday night because there was no longer a permit. She fought back hard against that. Superintendent of the state police told them there was no way in hell they were sending in the state police to kick people out
Quotethe state wanted to use the national guard to truck in water tankers but WGI said the ground was too unstable for high axel vehicles
Quotephish considered trying to play on Thursday for everyone was already there but a) no permit, no show and b) they didn't think it would be fair to people who were coming in on Friday

mistercharlie

Quote from: rowjimmy on August 21, 2018, 08:56:18 AM
Quote from: PIE-GUY on August 20, 2018, 07:14:53 PM
Quote from: rowjimmy on August 20, 2018, 07:05:27 PM
Band statements need to be coordinated with actual information. I expect a lot of overtime is being burned to sort out what will actually be done about refunds, etc. when those questions are answered, something will be said.

Coventry ended on 8/15 - a statement from John Paluska was issued 8/23 with the announcement of the photo books, etc.

That's 8 days.
I expect something this week.

Disappointment is natural but I don't think there's any reason to get salty towards the band or their org. This was beyond them and they were also sad to see this go down.

In the interest of sharing information, here's a series of tweets from a guy I know who is relaying info from a reliable source (typos are his own):
Quoteattorneys at the governors office wanted to kick everyone out Thursday night because there was no longer a permit. She fought back hard against that. Superintendent of the state police told them there was no way in hell they were sending in the state police to kick people out
Quotethe state wanted to use the national guard to truck in water tankers but WGI said the ground was too unstable for high axel vehicles
Quotephish considered trying to play on Thursday for everyone was already there but a) no permit, no show and b) they didn't think it would be fair to people who were coming in on Friday

Those second two hurt a bit. I hold no ill will towards the band, I know it wasn't their fault. It's just a state of mind and mood right now that most of us have not experienced before. So many 'What if's?' going around everyone's head right now.
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

rowjimmy

That moment when Patrick Jordan told Trey the news.
photo by Rene Huemer

mistercharlie

When Tom posted that picture a tear fell from my eye.  :cry:

VDB

If WGI nixed the tanker idea that's an interesting wrinkle. Stories I had read suggested there just wasn't enough time to pull that together. I do think, in hindsight, that the water aspect is a huge bit of exposure to leave in place. Do events like these also just count on the local electric utility for power, or do they have backup generators or some Plan B at all times? If I'm a festival organizer I probably line up tankers from the beginning from now on.
Is this still Wombat?

rowjimmy

Note that those were National Guard tankers, not commercial water suppliers. As I understand it, bringing in commercial water supplies in sufficient volume was not a timely option.

PIE-GUY

As I understand it, had the water supply issue popped up Monday, or maybe Tuesday, they would have been able to shoehorn a solution that kept the Fest from cancelling. The water was clean until Thursday morning... there is just no way they could solve this in 12-24 hours. If it was feasible, it would have happened, no matter the cost. Phish would have thrown every penny into solving it in any feasible way. Shit, they paid thousands of dollars just to have helicopters hover over the grounds in the week leading up to the fest just to dry out the ground we'd be dancing on.

Also, every time this fucking image pops up in my FB feed I get pissed off - it's like salt in the wound. FUCK Lock'n. Just sayin'.

I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul