News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Sweet 16 - Round 3 - Abbey Road Region 1-The Beatles v. 5-Bob Dylan

Started by UncleEbinezer, March 25, 2011, 07:32:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rowjimmy

mbw

ah, i should read moar good.

i could never again hear 85% of the beatles catalog and be perfectly content.
the 15% is pretty great though.

fauxpaxfauxreal

Quote from: rowjimmy on March 26, 2011, 08:10:36 PM
Quote from: mistercharlie on March 26, 2011, 07:45:58 PM
Dylan wrote every popular song ever. period.

LULZ

It's funny cos it's true.

Also, it is valid to contend that Sgt Pepper CHANGED the album format but plenty of folks wrote GREAT that were complete and cohesive albums before it.
One example that comes to mind...

muthafuckin' BLONDE ON BLONDE

Also, it can successfully be argued that the cohesiveness of "Pet Sounds" is what precipitated Sgt. Pepper's.

fauxpaxfauxreal

rowjimmy

Quote from: fauxpaxfauxreal on March 26, 2011, 08:33:12 PM

LULZ

Also, it is valid to contend that Sgt Pepper CHANGED the album format but plenty of folks wrote GREAT that were complete and cohesive albums before it.

Also, it can successfully be argued that the cohesiveness of "Pet Sounds" is what precipitated Sgt. Pepper's.

Paul has directly stated thus. Though Revolver was credited by Brian Wilson as a motivator for his work on Pet Sounds.

sls.stormyrider

It's been said before many times, and in the March Madness at least twice, that although we credit people as "being the 1st", or "originating", it's all built on something else.

That said, both the Beatles and Dylan were revolutionary.

a few other "original" things that could be credited to the Beatles (as making prominent, if not inventing) to add to PG's list. I'm sure there are others
use of feedback (I feel Fine)
12 string guitar in RnR (Roger McGuinn directly credits George with this)
Mixing acoustic and electric guitars
orchestral arrangements in RnR
guitar "volume swells" - not sure the technical term, but listen to I Need You (or Dickey's intro to Liz Reed)
Singles longer than 2:45
changing tempo /key on the bridge (I Call Your Name)
lyrics on album covers / liner notes
synthesizer use in RnR
ending an album with a tone only dogs can hear  :-P

Edit - as far as concept albums and having an impact - being ancient as I am, I was around when those albums were released. 1 of the 3 albums mentioned above caused a huge stir and changed the world. Anyone wanna guess which it was?
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

qop24

well, him and that dude he stole his lyrics from  :evil:
Quote from: Gumbo72203 on June 14, 2011, 11:26:55 PM
Trey actually is totally inspired with ideas up the ass

Quote from: kellerb on July 06, 2011, 07:16:17 PM
When you're on droogz you don't remember which eye's supposed to be lazy

PIE-GUY

Quote from: slslbs on March 26, 2011, 08:49:42 PM
- as far as concept albums and having an impact - being ancient as I am, I was around when those albums were released. 1 of the 3 albums mentioned above caused a huge stir and changed the world. Anyone wanna guess which it was?

My point exactly. Ask anyone who was there for the release of Sgt. Pepper... people ran out the day it was released and listened to it for weeks on end... it had an impact like nothing else before or since.

As someone who grew up listening to the Beatles but was way too late to experience what it was like to have the Beatles around in my lifetime, it's easy to look back and see Sgt. Pepper as not even their best album, never mind how it relates to Blonde on Blonde. But talk to my Pops about Sgt. Pepper and you will start to see it's power.

If you've ever seen Paul McCartney live you know the crowd at that show is more diverse than any other gathering of any kind. More diverse than a baseball or football game. More diverse than the fucking shopping mall. EVERYONE is a Beatles fan. And I don't mean there is nobody who doesn't like the Beatles, I just mean that Beatles fans come from all corners. Their impact is greater than any other.... since Beethoven. I mean that. There was Beethoven and there was the Beatles. Everything else is just everything else.

I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

rowjimmy

Quote from: rowjimmy on March 25, 2011, 08:14:11 PM
Beatles would've never moved past "I Wanna Hold Your Hand" if Dylan hadn't turned them on...

/just sayin'

And weed is the least of the things he offered...

Tomapella

...I refuse to answer this question.  I mean, I'd probably end up going for the Beatles, but without either of them, the other couldn't have existed, and they're both amazing.

mistercharlie

Quote from: rowjimmy on March 26, 2011, 08:35:06 PM
Quote from: fauxpaxfauxreal on March 26, 2011, 08:33:12 PM

LULZ

Paul has directly stated thus. Though Revolver was credited by Brian Wilson as a motivator for his work on Pet Sounds.

chicken or the egg, man... chicken or the egg
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

mistercharlie

You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows...
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

rowjimmy

guyforget

-AD_