News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

2017-12-31 Madison Square Garden New York, NY

Started by anthrax, January 01, 2018, 01:13:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jasonsobel

Quote from: mistercharlie on January 01, 2018, 07:54:12 PM
Quote from: mbw on January 01, 2018, 07:15:26 PM
Quote from: VA $l!m on January 01, 2018, 07:00:34 PM
Quote from: WhatstheUse? on January 01, 2018, 03:23:09 PM
Seems like a lot of negativity is floating around the interwebz re: last night and I'm just not hearing it.

This band is still absolutely crushing it. The level of musicality they bring to the table is still untouched in the 'rock' world. Their ability to use tension/release and peak over and over again is unrivaled. They make it look so easy, but it's not. Even the 'simple' type 1 rawk peaks they are bringing to the table have so much musicality behind them. They're all masters at what they do. I know Trey has lost his pep-in-his-step but my dear lord the man can still play his heart out. He only has bursts of speed here and there, but his rhythm and note choices are still so on point. He has this magic ability to play such simplistic melodies that are instantly singable. It's as if his improvised melodies are stuck in your head before they've even happened.

And Mike Fucking Gordon. Can we talk about that weirdo for a second? The guy is seriously at the top of his game. I think he's the only one of the four to consistently get better with time. He pushes the music so hard and makes everyone else in the band sound better because of his musical support. Those sick Trey peaks would be nothing w/o Mike's thunderous bottom end building the tension beneath him. The man is a musical genius.

Okay I'm gonna go sleep forever now.
they need to turn mike up big time.

Someone should start a group dedicated to the cause.

This was the earliest PLM thing I could find: https://web.archive.org/web/19990221091349/http://www.netspace.org:80/users/dan/plm/

anyone have anything earlier archived?
sing me back home before I die

mbw

Check out Brother too, slim.  He's dirty as hell.

VA $l!m

-I'm still walkin', so i'm sure that I can dance-

Caravan2001

I didn't even realized they played Caspian Velvet Sea until I looked at this thread. Must have blocked it out lol.  But I thought the three shows I saw all had some decent stuff. My expectations were met and then some.  Had a blast on the floor every night. Raged Poor Heart last night with Jim Pollock and Amy Skelton so that was awesome. Kudos to Phish for what was a consistently solid year of shows.

13 more MSG shows in July. Buckle up kids!

WhatstheUse?

Quote from: Caravan2001 on January 01, 2018, 10:37:16 PM
13 more MSG shows in July. Buckle up kids!

That's wild. I love NYC and I loved the Baker's Dozen but man, not sure how to feel about another residency. Is this the game plan from here on out?
Bring in the dude!

August

I listened to the "big" jams from this night and they're all so one dimensional.
The Jibboo does get creative at the end, tho.
And that Fluffhead. Youch!!! I guess the kids got a taste of what '99 was like.

PIE-GUY

Quote from: August on January 02, 2018, 08:25:43 AM
I listened to the "big" jams from this night and they're all so one dimensional.
The Jibboo does get creative at the end, tho.
And that Fluffhead. Youch!!! I guess the kids got a taste of what '99 was like.

I know from interviews that they were rehearsing a couple of hours every day before each show of the Baker's Dozen this summer. It was clear that was not the plan for this run...
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

tet

Quote from: mistercharlie on January 01, 2018, 07:54:12 PM
Quote from: mbw on January 01, 2018, 07:15:26 PM
Quote from: VA $l!m on January 01, 2018, 07:00:34 PM
Seems like a lot of negativity is floating around the interwebz re: last night and I'm just not hearing it.

This band is still absolutely crushing it. The level of musicality they bring to the table is still untouched in the 'rock' world. Their ability to use tension/release and peak over and over again is unrivaled. They make it look so easy, but it's not. Even the 'simple' type 1 rawk peaks they are bringing to the table have so much musicality behind them. They're all masters at what they do. I know Trey has lost his pep-in-his-step but my dear lord the man can still play his heart out. He only has bursts of speed here and there, but his rhythm and note choices are still so on point. He has this magic ability to play such simplistic melodies that are instantly singable. It's as if his improvised melodies are stuck in your head before they've even happened.

And Mike Fucking Gordon. Can we talk about that weirdo for a second? The guy is seriously at the top of his game. I think he's the only one of the four to consistently get better with time. He pushes the music so hard and makes everyone else in the band sound better because of his musical support. Those sick Trey peaks would be nothing w/o Mike's thunderous bottom end building the tension beneath him. The man is a musical genius.

they need to turn mike up big time.

Someone should start a group dedicated to the cause.

"We want you to be happy"
-Phish

VDB

Quote from: gainesvillegreen on January 01, 2018, 05:38:14 PM

Page.
Page has gotten consistently better with time.
It isn't a competition, so Page vs Mike, I don't know, but what I do know is that: Trey wouldn't sound half as good as he does these days if it wasn't for Page.
Again, I draw people's attention to something as simple as the Pigtail from 7/21/17, listen to how they swirl around one another like so many strands of DNA. They do this all the time now whereas, say, in 1997, and before they did not (as consistently and as interestingly as they do now).

TL;DR

Page.

I will agree with this – Page sounds consistently great and adds an absolute essence to the Phish sound that cannot be understated.

However and to add to the broader conversation of who's improving with age, I do find myself feeling like Trey alone is the man steering most of the jams these days – which means his well of ideas can exhaust that much faster and it's that much more obvious when it does. This, of course, has not always been true.
Is this still Wombat?

PIE-GUY

Hey Scotty, I suggest you do whatever you can to keep Michelle from seeing this video...

sls.stormyrider

actually, someone else is preventing us from seeing it

you're in the clear Scotty
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

PIE-GUY

Quote from: slslbs on January 02, 2018, 01:22:22 PM

Just click the "Watch on Facebook" link.

Gol D. Roger

,,Teenage Dreams, So Hard To Beat"

Buffalo Budd

Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

sls.stormyrider

Quote from: PIE-GUY on January 02, 2018, 01:27:51 PM
Quote from: slslbs on January 02, 2018, 01:22:22 PM

Just click the "Watch on Facebook" link.

ah - blocked at work
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."