News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

R4/W03: 04-19-1992 The Catalyst, Santa Cruz CA.

Started by Caravan2001, July 13, 2008, 11:49:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pnchundi

okay, where was i...

oh yeah, thats a Mikes combo to go!  Easily the highlight of the show!

Horse>Silent- well done
MSO- more silly fun.  MSO is much better on the smaller stage
Tube- heat, picking back up from Weekapaug.  Good placement too buried in the 2nd
Mango- always welcome
Llama- more heat, page takes an early lead, but trey steals home
Lawnboy- whats up with the start stop action? Interesting bc Trey takes the solo
Cold As Ice>Had a Brain>Ice- classic phish silliness. I cant remember which show but I have one old tape where Fish jokes "you gotta love this band. I mention I hate a song, and then they play it" with reference to Cold As Ice.  Had a Brain is half hearted, but with a vaccum solo taboot.  And during the ending cold as ice i swear they teased "lively up yourself"
Jim- really solid, trey rips! With looking back standards, the placement seems odd as usually jim is an early set favorite to set the tone for the show
Sleeping Monkey- wow, they are really sticking it to fish tonight
Cavern- well done and a good send off

I agree with a in some regards because it is really hard to find fault with the early shows.  Absolutely manic in terms of setlists with 3 or 4 powerhouse tunes in any give set.  Nothing really stuck out from the first set, apart from Reba and that was partially because of the mistake and recovery.  The second set peaked early with a killer Mike's combo.  What followed was rock solid, but nothing really topped it.

Caravan2001

Sorry for the late review (of my own show nonetheless).....I'll make it short as most people have covered the bases.  I really like this show.  This was a hot tour and this comes from an especially hot week.  I think the band sounds tight as hell here (it is '92 after all) and although there are  a few minor f-ups, the playing is spot on.  I love all of the minor vocal jams (NICU, I Didn't Know,Weekapaug) and I really like the older NICU and Silent too.  The Maze and Chalkdust feature some blazing Trey and it made me realize how much I loved the combo of the old Boogie, and the Ross Compressor (and the TS9 of course).....The Fender sound of later years was aww-ite, but I miss the over the top compression of the early days.  he would just sustain forever, and later on just relied too much on the wah wah which hadn't entered his arsenal at this point. The whole first set is super solid, but the Reba jam gets cut too short, just as it starts to wail.....The second set is also a winner with Mike's Groove (Groove in particular) being the highlight for me.  Tube too.  I was also really surprised by the Runaway Jim.  On paper I was like, a late set Jim?  But when you hear it it's rocking- short and sweet- just burning. Not too stoked on the encore choices, but they were well executed.  This show had the early energy rippling throughout the show- I give it a solid A......

blatboom

One of these days I'll catch up to the club.

Set I

Buried Alive - great opener, slams right into

>NICU - I hardly recognized this when it started, Mike doing some sick shit over the intro..the old vocal section is funny.

Stash - spooky start to this.  I'm loving the tightness.  concise jam with some good guitar work

Paul & Silas - love this bluegrass number.  Page tearing it up, sweet how they harmonize at the end..

My Friend - one of the best rockers out there.  the intro is so sweet before it takes the turn for the sinister.  Bit of a slower pace to it but still kicks ass.  Like the mife on this one

Reba - what a nice setlist thus far.  I'd rate this one as semi-tight..still, it packs tons of energy.  whoa, did they just repeat the last phrase before the jam?  crazy.  But man the jam takes off!  Mike's playing some sick stuff.  Short hot jam

Maze - still a newbie so most are probably hearing it live for the first time.  They're ripping it up by this point already though.  Page solo is on point.

Fee - good until Trey flubs a little bit on the last verse

>Chalk Dust - hot hot version.

I Didn't Know - Fish the tromboner

Golgi - close it out in style.

Great set.  Not sure what source I have, but it sounds incredible (I looked it up, it's the same source Caravan seeded).  Mike is coming through loud and clear and everything's mixed perfectly.

Set II

The Curtain - one of those tunes I made a big turn around on.  Used to hate it, now I love it.  pumping version.

>Mike's Song - oh boy.  This jam is so sick!  Pure energy

>Hydrogen - gotta love it.  sweet version.

>Weekapaug - slap it out Mike!  Yet another high energy hot jam.  they lock into a playful little jam in the 6th minute then bust out of it in a huge way..cool vocal jam at the end.

Horse>Silent - Bring on the balads!  I love the longer intro on Horse.  Silent moves pretty quick.  I dig this a lot.

MSO - damn!  Fish is pounding this one out.

Tube - Hell Yes!!  no funk to be had here, this is balls-out rock right here.  Trey must have forgot there was another verse at the end.  Sick ass Tube.

Mango Song - I'm down for a Mango right now.  I've really grown to love the progression of the Mango jam.

Llama - keeping it short and sweet.  Nice work out of Page all night.  Trey shreds as well.

Lawn Boy - not a fan

Cold as Ice>If I Only Had a Brain>Cold as Ice - guess you had to be there..

Runaway Jim - they ease into this one.  I like how this jam takes off

E:

Sleeping Monkey - meh.  They gave this one a lot of work in this slot and I'll never like it.  At least it's accompanied by something good here

Cavern - Cavern kicks ass.

This show didn't suffer at all by the lack of huge jams (although Mike's and Weekapaug were super sick)  Just tons of energy and everything was played extremely well.  My only complaint is the last parts of both sets sorta lost me with the song selection.  Great pick Caravan!!  B+

Bobafett

Lossless:

http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=516661

can someone jump back on this to help a brother out.  Thanks in Advance, BP
The events in our lives happen in a sequence in time, but in their significance to ourselves they find their own order; the continuous thread of revelation.

Caravan2001

Quote from: Bobafett on July 27, 2008, 05:12:14 PM
Lossless:

http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=516661

can someone jump back on this to help a brother out.  Thanks in Advance, BP

Looks like there are 2 seeders now....lemme know if help is still needed

Bobafett

The events in our lives happen in a sequence in time, but in their significance to ourselves they find their own order; the continuous thread of revelation.

Caravan2001

Bobafett

Caravan2001

but it still says 2 seeds/3 leeches...no luck?

Bobafett

Caravan2001

sophist

So I'm way late on reviewing this show, so a thousand pardons. 

Overall I enjoyed the first set more than the second set.  Very solid versions of Buried Alive, Stash, My Friend, and Reba.  Really tight playing and incredible sounding source.  I give the first set a solid B+.  Set II is solid as well.  I did get a little bored during the Cold as Ice sandwhich, but other than that, pretty intense set.  I give the second set a solid B+ as well. 

Overall the show is a solid B+ show.  It is also your typical '92 Phish, which is to say balls to the wall tight, and very little improvisation.  Not my favorite era, but none the less I can still dig it.  Great pick, and sorry again for the delay. 

Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

Caravan2001

ned_ryerson

in the interest of being able to get my ass caught up i am going to review this show as a clump.

The first thing to say about this show is that as much of spring 92, especially this week of april is that it is PHENOMINAL. 4/16/92 has always been one of my favorite shows that phish played. This show was also absolutely amazing. There is a certain sense of freshness and excitement that oozes out of this performance. While tunes like maze may only be a scant 7 minutes long, (late 90s these songs were far longer) it does not feel that short because you are sucked right along for the journey. even comparing this tube to the 9/15/00 one and you can see a big difference between how they were playing over all. every bit of this show was enjoyable in my opinion. it definitely made me  :banana:   
wait..what?

G. Augusto

Feel free to submit reviews for previous shows, but I was forced to skip over you in the club.
Sorry, man.
a