News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

08/14 - Comcast Theatre - Hartford, CT - Post-Show Discussion and Review

Started by mistercharlie, August 15, 2009, 12:08:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JPhishman

Quote from: guyforget on August 15, 2009, 12:12:22 AM
ridiculous setlist, i hate missing phish shows
alright the party left, the laptop comes out and I can't stay away from the paug with a setlist like this swimming around in my head......
"Be sure your expectations are reasonable." - fortune cookie

JPhishman

Can't wait to hear this shit! I just keep telling myself "The Gorge was epic, The Gorge was epic, don't freak out, the Gorge was epic"...... it was though...
"Be sure your expectations are reasonable." - fortune cookie

fauxpaxfauxreal

Quote from: gainesvillegreen on August 15, 2009, 12:30:16 AM
Do you not like any of the new songs faux? Apologies, I'm having to catch up here...no need to re-hash it if it is incendiary.

Naw.  I'm not a fan of any of the new songs. 

Here's how I judge whether or not I'm a fan of a song.

If the song disappeared from setlists for a year or more, would I miss it?  The answer for all of the new songs (and most of the songs from Farmhouse on...) is a hell naw.  There isn't a song from the new sessions that I would miss at all. 

Tweezy

Quote from: VA slim on August 15, 2009, 12:23:48 AM
real good chance this was the green crew set, esp w/out ANY new songs present.
g-nite all.
hearing this one tomorrow will chear me up as i sit at home out of work fo rthe 4th day in a row with my broken back.

it def was... i think they're pciking some for tomorrow too.

GREAT JOB GREEN CREW!
If I haven't seen it, it's new to me!

nab

Quote from: JPhishman on August 15, 2009, 12:36:01 AM
Can't wait to hear this shit! I just keep telling myself "The Gorge was epic, The Gorge was epic, don't freak out, the Gorge was epic"...... it was though...

:lol:

mistercharlie

"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

mehead

hard to go to sleep w/ this show on my mind..need to get up in 5 hours..I just hope the playing lives up to the setlist...VERY afraid of being 3.0'd
His eyes were clean and pure but his mind was so deranged

mbw

mehead

Scent of a Tuna

For someone who had every opportunity to go but didnt...

FUCK YOU PHISH!!!!!!

ha, please come to MSG during fall tour

fauxpaxfauxreal

Quote from: nab on August 15, 2009, 12:31:11 AM
Quote from: thechad on August 15, 2009, 12:28:32 AM
Quote from: fauxpaxfauxreal on August 15, 2009, 12:22:53 AM
This is what a Phish show should look like EVERY NIGHT.

This is absolutely, 100% correct.

This sort of setlist would get boring on an every show basis. 

I still need to hear the show to see if it has merit anyway.

I entirely disagree that it would get boring to have surprising stuff happen every show.  That's the nature of keeping people on their toes.

Sure the fact that you got surprised would become commonplace, but the what actually surprised, delighted and challenged you during the show would be anything but commonplace and boring.

I agree with your last statement, the show could be a stinkbomb.  Time and downloads will tell. That said, I would like to see fun stuff become commonplace.  I would much rather have Phish try something awesome and fail at it, then for them to excel at being mediocre.

gainesvillegreen

Quote from: fauxpaxfauxreal on August 15, 2009, 12:36:11 AM
Quote from: gainesvillegreen on August 15, 2009, 12:30:16 AM
Do you not like any of the new songs faux? Apologies, I'm having to catch up here...no need to re-hash it if it is incendiary.

Naw.  I'm not a fan of any of the new songs. 

Here's how I judge whether or not I'm a fan of a song.

If the song disappeared from setlists for a year or more, would I miss it?  The answer for all of the new songs (and most of the songs from Farmhouse on...) is a hell naw.  There isn't a song from the new sessions that I would miss at all.

Fair enough, I hadn't thought of approaching them in that way. Made me think of alternate histories where young songs got snuffed out early on - songs that have developed over the years like Gumbo or Disease or Simple at some stages - what setlists would look like today had that happened. May be some apples to oranges in that though, the assumption that within this 'Joy' batch there is that type of material lurking there.
Dysfunction and itemized lists of people's failures are where it's at.

mistercharlie

I just looked some stats up, and added them to the front page.

Last 'Forbin > Mockingbird' 09/30/00
Last 'Psycho Killer' 12/07/97
Last 'Icculus' 07/18/99

Quote from: mirthbeatenworker on August 15, 2009, 12:44:07 AM
Quote from: Mistercharlie on August 15, 2009, 12:39:24 AM
Quote from: mirthbeatenworker on August 15, 2009, 12:32:36 AM
dude, dont you know that they played this type of shit every show > 2000
What he said

that was sarcasm.....

So was that.....
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

okelnard

Quote from: Mistercharlie on August 15, 2009, 12:08:25 AM
08/14/09 The Comcast Theatre, Hartford, CT (Friday)

Set I (8:40): Punch You In the Eye, AC/DC Bag, NICU, Col. Forbin's Ascent > Fly Famous Mockingbird, Birds of a Feather, Lawn Boy, Stash, I Didn't Know, Middle of the Road, Character Zero

Set II (10:37): Down With Disease > Wilson > Slave To The Traffic Light, Piper -> Water In The Sky, Ghost -> Psycho Killer -> Catapult -> Icculus > You Enjoy Myself

Encore: While My Guitar Gently Weeps

Last 'Forbin > Mockingbird' 09/30/00
Last 'Psycho Killer' 12/07/97
Last 'Icculus' 07/18/99

This show was the sickness!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I go and skip the live setlist thread party and they pull out all the stops!  :samurai:

I still won't read any reviews until I can DL and listen myself....
This looks like  :crazy:  :rawk: stuff here... wow.  I knew they weren't just running on fumes and that there is still gas in the tank! 
"What in the wide, wide world of sports is going on here?" - Taggart

"We liked number 217."  - Trey

"If you think you know what the hell is going on, you're probably full of shit."  - Robert Anton Wilson

mehead