News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Netflix Recommendation Thread

Started by McGrupp, June 22, 2011, 08:51:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ytowndan

Quote from: mbw on November 14, 2017, 01:31:42 PM
Quote from: emay on November 14, 2017, 12:15:03 PM
Quote from: mistercharlie on November 14, 2017, 12:08:52 PM
Quote from: rowjimmy on November 14, 2017, 11:58:59 AM
Mindhunter is pretty fucking cool, you guys.
I'm through ep7 (of 10) so far and I'm way hooked.
We love it. I think were on ep5 or 6.

same. on ep 4

took me an episode or two, and then i binged it over a weekend.

Finished it the other night and thought it was great!
Quote from: nab on July 27, 2007, 12:20:24 AM
You never drink alone when you have something good to listen to.

ytowndan

Any of you guys check out The Punisher?  I still have three episodes to go, so I can't say for certain, but I think this may be my new favorite of the Marvel series.  Maybe tied with Luke Cage.  They keep knocking it out of the park with these shows. 
Quote from: nab on July 27, 2007, 12:20:24 AM
You never drink alone when you have something good to listen to.

mistercharlie

Quote from: ytowndan on November 23, 2017, 06:16:57 PM
Any of you guys check out The Punisher?  I still have three episodes to go, so I can't say for certain, but I think this may be my new favorite of the Marvel series.  Maybe tied with Luke Cage.  They keep knocking it out of the park with these shows.

We just finished the series a few minutes ago, it was really good. I still think Jessica Jones is my favorite so far. [spoiler]I was really kinda surprised to not see Claire pop up in it at some point.[/spoiler]
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

PIE-GUY

Not entirely related, but not worthy of its own thread either...

Amazon prime video is finally available on appletv!
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

JumbleTheVents

Maybe old news but I just watched a doc the other day called "the magic of mushrooms" about the role fungi plays in nature & it was quite fascinating. No further description would do any justice.

https://www.netflix.com/title/80212708

Good to be back, think I'll stay this time.
Can you dig it?

mbw

Quote from: JumbleTheVents on December 06, 2017, 10:02:08 PM
Maybe old news but I just watched a doc the other day called "the magic of mushrooms" about the role fungi plays in nature & it was quite fascinating. No further description would do any justice.

If you change your mind, that would be cool too.

rowjimmy

VDB

Quote from: mbw on December 06, 2017, 10:39:46 PM
Quote from: JumbleTheVents on December 06, 2017, 10:02:08 PM

If you change your mind, that would be cool too.

You're a mean one, Mister Mirth.
Is this still Wombat?

cactusfan

Over on the ol' movie blog, we've been doing some monthly streaming recommendations that are, perhaps, more out of the ordinary than the usual such recommendations. Here's December's:

http://www.standbyformindcontrol.com/2017/12/streaming-salvation-december-2017/

VDB

Quote from: cactusfan on December 18, 2017, 02:51:32 PM
Over on the ol' movie blog, we've been doing some monthly streaming recommendations that are, perhaps, more out of the ordinary than the usual such recommendations. Here's December's:

http://www.standbyformindcontrol.com/2017/12/streaming-salvation-december-2017/

Tremors and Gremlins 2 were both staples of my youth. And man has it been a while since I've seen either. Thanks for the heads up!

Also, I just watched Rare Exports last night with some friends, and it was a most enjoyable yuletide romp. Upper Finland is an unforgiving place.

On the topic of streaming and polar climes, I've recently heard of a documentary just released to Netflix called Under an Arctic Sky. Haven't seen it yet but I like the director's Instagram account. The film is about some people who travel to Iceland during a dreadful winter storm to do some surfing. I'm sure nothing goes wrong.
Is this still Wombat?

VDB

I made my wife watch Gremlins 2 last night. I probably hadn't seen that film in at least 20 years. And never under, uh, certain conditions. It was fun (she agreed). The final half was about as bonkers I as remembered it being. Call me old-fashioned, but the practical gremlin puppets make all the difference. They offer just the right blend of real and fake, to great comedic effect. If this were a modern-day CGI exhibition it'd be lesser for it.
Is this still Wombat?

runawayjimbo

Watched Banking on Bitcoin the other night. A really great explanation of an extremely complex topic in a totally accessible fashion. All the major bitcoin players are in it, including the Winklevii. If you want to be able to explain bitcoin to your grandma when the ole bag inevitably asks about it over the holidays, check it out.
Quote from: DoW on October 26, 2013, 09:06:17 PM
I'm drunk but that was epuc

Quote from: mehead on June 22, 2016, 11:52:42 PM
The Line still sucks. Hard.

Quote from: Gumbo72203 on July 25, 2017, 08:21:56 PM
well boys, we fucked up by not being there.

Hicks

Quote from: VDB on December 20, 2017, 01:13:57 PM
I made my wife watch Gremlins 2 last night. I probably hadn't seen that film in at least 20 years. And never under, uh, certain conditions. It was fun (she agreed). The final half was about as bonkers I as remembered it being. Call me old-fashioned, but the practical gremlin puppets make all the difference. They offer just the right blend of real and fake, to great comedic effect. If this were a modern-day CGI exhibition it'd be lesser for it.

Dude, you're doing mini write ups of Gremlins 2 while neglecting The Last Jedi thread you started

Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

VDB

Quote from: Hicks on December 20, 2017, 03:35:06 PM

Dude, you're doing mini write ups of Gremlins 2 while neglecting The Last Jedi thread you started

One brings me joy. The other, only pain.

I should also note here that Gremlins 2 is actually streaming on Amazon Prime, not Netflix. I blame cactusfan for the derailment.
Is this still Wombat?

Hicks

Quote from: VDB on December 20, 2017, 05:44:40 PM
Quote from: Hicks on December 20, 2017, 03:35:06 PM

One brings me joy. The other, only pain.

Let it out buddy, let it out. 
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.