News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

JFK Assassination: Conspiracy or Not?

Started by mbw, November 22, 2013, 03:08:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

runawayjimbo

Quote from: Hicks on November 22, 2013, 04:52:29 PM
The dude who actually lived through it is probably more qualified to opine than any of us.

With all due respect to the good doctor, why is that exactly?
Quote from: DoW on October 26, 2013, 09:06:17 PM
I'm drunk but that was epuc

Quote from: mehead on June 22, 2016, 11:52:42 PM
The Line still sucks. Hard.

Quote from: Gumbo72203 on July 25, 2017, 08:21:56 PM
well boys, we fucked up by not being there.

sls.stormyrider

I was 5
home sick from kindergarten, watching cartoons and eating lunch. then, a boatload of commotion broke out at the house
I couldn't watch cartoons for a whole week after that
I remember watching the funeral, and I got the gravity of the situation and was truly saddened.

Other than reading a few books about JFK,  me "being there" gives me no special insight
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

Hicks

I just think that people who lived through events have an added perspective on what happened.

Of course there are plenty of people who lived back then that have their heads up their asses, but they still saw the events unfold in real time.   

That's worth something in my book. 

I have no doubt that when the last WWII veteran dies, the world will have lost something very important and will be the worse for it. 
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

runawayjimbo

Quote from: slslbs on November 22, 2013, 05:05:31 PM
I was 5
home sick from kindergarten, watching cartoons and eating lunch. then, a boatload of commotion broke out at the house
I couldn't watch cartoons for a whole week after that
I remember watching the funeral, and I got the gravity of the situation and was truly saddened.

Other than reading a few books about JFK,  me "being there" gives me no special insight

I think Hicks was just looking for a way to call you old. :wink:

Quote from: Hicks on November 22, 2013, 05:11:05 PM
I just think that people who lived through events have an added perspective on what happened.

Of course there are plenty of people who lived back then that have their heads up their asses, but they still saw the events unfold in real time.   

That's worth something in my book. 

I have no doubt that when the last WWII veteran dies, the world will have lost something very important and will be the worse for it. 

I agree there is an added perspective, but only inasmuch as how that person viewed and took in those events and how it affected them personally (which, I think sls' story above does a excellent job relaying that). It doesn't necessarily give any additional insight into the events themselves.

mistercharlie

I'm not sure that Oswald acted alone.

This is one of those Tootsie Pop mysteries... the world may never know.
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

runawayjimbo

Quote from: mistercharlie on November 22, 2013, 05:27:22 PM

Nope. It's three.

mbw

Quote from: runawayjimbo on November 22, 2013, 05:30:26 PM
Quote from: mistercharlie on November 22, 2013, 05:27:22 PM

Nope. It's three.

:-D

mbw

For some reason, I believe Oswald when he sang his hit song, "I'm just a patsy."

But seriously, I kinda believe him.

PIE-GUY

I believe in the insanity of individuals in this country... therefore I voted he acted alone.
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

Hicks

Seriously though how did Jack Ruby get to the right place at the precise exact second in that garage?   And with a gun too.

That part at least doesn't make any sense. 

Somebody powerful felt Oswald needed to die and pulled the strings to make it happen. 

Maybe the reason was because Oswald knew something unrelated to the assassination?

That just doesn't seem that likely. 
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

PIE-GUY

Quote from: Hicks on November 22, 2013, 05:55:25 PM
Seriously though how did Jack Ruby get to the right place at the precise exact second in that garage?   And with a gun too.

Somebody powerful felt Oswald needed to die and pulled the strings to make it happen. 

Maybe the reason was because Oswald knew something unrelated to the assassination?

I wouldn't put it past the CIA to take out Oswald just to try and put the country at ease... to provide some immediate closure.
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

Hicks

Quote from: PG on November 22, 2013, 05:57:24 PM
Quote from: Hicks on November 22, 2013, 05:55:25 PM

I wouldn't put it past the CIA to take out Oswald just to try and put the country at ease... to provide some immediate closure.

Eh, that's a pretty huge risk to take just to make people feel better. 

kellerb

I acted alone, on the date of my -15th birthday.

The people who supplied me with a time machine however, did not act alone

rowjimmy

I listened to this great interview with Oliver Stone the other day. Without even trying too hard, he makes a compelling case for there being a case.

Podcast link here https://www.nerdist.com/2013/11/nerdist-podcast-oliver-stone/

All you have to know is "back, and to the left."

sls.stormyrider

a lot of security measures we take for granted were not in place back then
metal detectors, etc.

a lot of the conspiracy theorists point to the botched police investigation as part of the evidence that the CIA was involved. plenty of police investigations since then have been similarly botched.

that said, someone else was involved. I suspect we'll never know - perhaps when Castro dies, if he was involved, maybe something will be found in archives, but I doubt it.
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."