News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

RIP Allen Toussaint

Started by Undermind, November 10, 2015, 07:28:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Undermind

Trey at Darien Music Center on 8/13/09 while paying respect to Les Paul
Quote...and hopefully we'll be playing well into our nineties and hopefully you guys will be there too

Phish Video Collection Blog

mopper_smurf

Here Comes The Flood - a weblog about music
Twitter | FB | Instagram

As a roadie for the Jimi Hendrix Experience, I learned that I should give up being a guitar player. - Lemmy

PIE-GUY

I'm crushed by this one. What an amazing man. Truly one of the greatest. Songwriter, pianist, producer, singer. Jazzfest will never be the same without him. 
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

Buffalo Budd

So sad, he will be missed.
RIP.
Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

rowjimmy

A legend in his own time.
He will be missed and fondly remembered for a very long time.

PIE-GUY

PIE-GUY

The nytimes obit included this link to video from his last performance. Presumably within just a couple of hours from his passing, he played with force and beauty and joy. Amazing man.

And then there's this... The words of my hero, George porter, Jr.:

Today's news of Allen Toussaint's passing while he was on tour in another place other then home shakes me to the core and saddens me very much. We have chosen to live a life we love and for some reason want to do it for more than the money. We do it really for the love we get from the world and the smiles on the faces of people when we play our songs. Musicians that live on the road do have some fears, that we may not get back home safe, being away from home when our family needs us or being on the road alone when sad things happen. The two people I have loved longest in my life passed away while I was not home almost a year apart. Losing my Brother and my mother when I was not home was terribly hard. Now I have once again lost someone I care about while I am sitting alone in a hotel room. I still need to get through the flights home before I can comfort my wife and grieve my friend.

Still I am going to keep doing what I do, maybe that is crazy but it is what I love. Allen would expect no less, he lived and loved this life too for the same reason, the happiness music can bring. Todays News broke my heart, it is a real shock. When I played with AT at this years Blues & BBQ I told him I needed him to help me with some music that I have run into a brick wall with, he smiled and said send it to me. I got busy and did not send it, I always thought there was time, Allen seemed so happy and healthy. So sudden it is hard to believe. Thank You Allen Toussaint for the music that you gave me a chance to play with you, as well as the music that I have come to play because of what I learned from seeing up front and close how you could get the best out of an artist. You could get them to find stuff in themselves that they didn't know was there. You inspired me in so many ways. Your talent as a musician and a producer has been a major role model in how I approach my own music and how I interact with other musicians on stage and in the studio. Allen, Your music will live on and your teaching will continue to inspire. You are a true legend and have left a legacy like no other. gpjr

Igbo

Damn. True Legend. Sooo many great tunes. RIP

PIE-GUY

sunrisevt

I'm sharing the living F out of this stuff on facebook. I'm all kinds of broken up over this; never got to see the man play.
Quote from: Eleanor MarsailI love you, daddy. Actually, I love all the people. Even the ones who I don't know their name.

PIE-GUY

Quote from: sunrisevt on November 10, 2015, 11:04:05 AM
I'm sharing the living F out of this stuff on facebook. I'm all kinds of broken up over this; never got to see the man play.

One trip to jazzfest one time and you would not be saying this... There are many others you need to get down to jazzfest and see then all before their gone.

sls.stormyrider

A giant

The world is a better place because of him and his songs

RIP
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

sunrisevt

Quote from: PGLHAH on November 10, 2015, 11:09:51 AM
Quote from: sunrisevt on November 10, 2015, 11:04:05 AM

One trip to jazzfest one time and you would not be saying this... There are many others you need to get down to jazzfest and see then all before their gone.

Fuck, I know. I missed him & Levon (not together, each w/ their own bands) in Burlington, on consecutive weekends of the jazz festival up there. '09 or '10, somewhere in there. And now it's too late.
Quote from: Eleanor MarsailI love you, daddy. Actually, I love all the people. Even the ones who I don't know their name.

mistercharlie

RIP

Such a talented songwriter and musician.
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

gah

Saw him countless times, and last time was this summer at Wolf Trap with Rebirth. I don't really have the words, but a lot of others people do:

http://www.jambase.com/Articles/127010/In-Memoriam-Allen-Toussaint-1938-2015

Thank you Mr. Toussaint.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.