News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

2017-7-16 Huntington Bank Pavilion at Northerly Island, Chicago IL

Started by aphineday, July 16, 2017, 11:47:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rowjimmy

Quote from: mbw on July 17, 2017, 12:14:23 PM
Quote from: rowjimmy on July 17, 2017, 09:06:40 AM
Gin is good. Weird Marlon Brando/Apocalypse Now reference from Trey.

Loved the Gin.  What did he say exactly?  I couldn't make it out.

"I swallowed a bug. The horror."

ETA: Btw, Page teases Peaches en Regalia @ 3:20 (LivePhish version) of Antelope.

mehead

Just listened to Thread. Eh, didn't do anything for me.  Sounded very rusty (obviously). I do think there is potential but as of now, I wont be going back for a second spin.
His eyes were clean and pure but his mind was so deranged

Gundo

Yeah listening to Thread second time around I was'nt as into it. Definitely like the dark jam at the end, but these disjointed song within a song and then another song songs are really weird to me. Like what is it? Petrichor that has like possum in the middle of it? Anways, this Carini is dope. Love the laid back jamming. Reminds me of 2000's and 2.0 phish

mistercharlie

Quote from: EdBanky on July 17, 2017, 02:27:43 PM
Yeah listening to Thread second time around I was'nt as into it. Definitely like the dark jam at the end, but these disjointed song within a song and then another song songs are really weird to me. Like what is it? Petrichor that has like possum in the middle of it? Anways, this Carini is dope. Love the laid back jamming. Reminds me of 2000's and 2.0 phish

They've always done stuff like that though. Like when they used to play The Curtain with Rift appended to the end of it.
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

Gundo

Quote from: mistercharlie on July 17, 2017, 02:31:11 PM

They've always done stuff like that though. Like when they used to play The Curtain with Rift appended to the end of it.
I guess you're right. Older stuff just seems more fluid to me now i guess 'cause ive heard it so many times

Hicks

Quote from: mistercharlie on July 17, 2017, 02:31:11 PM

Yep, Fluffhead started out as a bunch of separate songs that were stitched together and the original version of Reba had the middle section at the beginning.  Walls of the Cave is another example that is pretty obviously two songs that were joined together. 
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

Gumbo72203

Anways, this Carini is dope. Love the laid back jamming. Reminds me of 2000's and 2.0 phish

This.  So much this.  Carini has been getting into that space a lot more lately, but this is the first time they ever let that energy level breathe a bit and stretch.  Usually when the energy is low, they fizzle out in 5 minutes. 

Best Carini in a couple years, this one. 
"Just drink some water, and breathe through your nose."  -Slim, 3/7/09

Quote from: redrum on April 04, 2010, 07:45:51 PM
%% with alternated lyrics about a 1995 jeep cherokee that was also sacraficed on this tour.

Quote from: blatboom on November 04, 2012, 08:46:54 PM
I think I got it but he's such a spaz he'll probably never open this thread again

mistercharlie

In addition to the James Brown Jam in 2001, it also turns into a Martian Monster reprise around 3:35 right before the 'WOO's start.
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

Gumbo72203

Quote from: mistercharlie on July 18, 2017, 07:15:24 AM
In addition to the James Brown Jam in 2001, it also turns into a Martian Monster reprise around 3:35 right before the 'WOO's start.

Yeah there was another 2001 from a couple years ago that they did those chords in too... i think that's where Martian Monster came from.  I have no idea which 2001 it was in though.

%% with alternated lyrics about a 1995 jeep cherokee that was also sacraficed on this tour.

I think I got it but he's such a spaz he'll probably never open this thread again

susep

Nice jam out of Carini.  The jam section of Thread reminds of Listening Wind, similar melodicism. 

Gumbo72203

so this Tube is pretty good!  But it's soooooooo slowwwww.  Fishman's classic drumbeat is all but unrecognizable :(

Hicks

Quote from: Gumbo72203 on July 18, 2017, 06:01:04 PM
Quote from: mistercharlie on July 18, 2017, 07:15:24 AM

Yeah there was another 2001 from a couple years ago that they did those chords in too... i think that's where Martian Monster came from.  I have no idea which 2001 it was in though.

They did it a couple times in summer 2013, including the Gorge.
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

mbw

Quote from: Gumbo72203 on July 19, 2017, 05:46:33 PM
so this Tube is pretty good!  But it's soooooooo slowwwww.  Fishman's classic drumbeat is all but unrecognizable :(

Sometimes phish plays tunes fast, sometimes they  play slow.  Thinking fishman cant keep up anymore is dumb.

WhatstheUse?

Quote from: mbw on July 19, 2017, 07:02:15 PM
Quote from: Gumbo72203 on July 19, 2017, 05:46:33 PM

Sometimes phish plays tunes fast, sometimes they  play slow.  Thinking fishman cant keep up anymore is dumb.

I'm actually not hearing what you're hearing gumbo.

This tube was a bit slower than usual, yet, still the same drum beat as usual. Same with the DWD you mentioned last night, sounded 'average 3.0 slow tempo' to me. Nothing outrageous.

Also, Fishman never counts off the songs, its generally Trey (or sometimes whoever wrote the song) but either way, it's not Fish's 'fault' for the sluggish tempos.
Bring in the dude!

gainesvillegreen

I am in love with this Carini.
The runs from Trey dropping into the jam, all the way through ridiculously distant bright section, to the chill finish.
Love it.
Dysfunction and itemized lists of people's failures are where it's at.