News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Healthcare Content (Protest Instructions) >>>>>

Started by sophist, August 06, 2009, 09:48:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fauxpaxfauxreal

I agree a hundred and ten percent.  Of course lines should never have had to be drawn.  If people got into business for moralistic reasons as opposed to antimoralistic greedy reasons, I think the free market would work, and thusly, the private health care system would work.  I'd have to say that while termed a "free market", our current marketplace is more like corporate piracy than a truly "free market".

antelope19

No comments on the house bill that passed this weekend?  Anyone think it'll get through the senate?  From what I am reading, it doesn't look like it will. 
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment

Poster Nutbag

Quote from: antelope19 on November 09, 2009, 01:08:27 PM
No comments on the house bill that passed this weekend?  Anyone think it'll get through the senate?  From what I am reading, it doesn't look like it will.
I'm getting the same feeling from what I've read in today's paper... It looks like they will water it down more to the point it will be nearly pointless and the bill will fail miserably because it will not contain enough teeth to bite through major insurance companies grip and health insurance costs will continue to increase and so will the costs of hospital visits and so will the cost of pharmaceuticals... 
Control for smilers can't be bought...

"Your answer is silly. What'd do you want the song to do? End world hunger?
It's a fucking Phish song, some of them are very complex compositions, some are not.

This one with its complex vocal arrangement falls right in between.
But that and a hook aren't enough so I'll let Trey know his songs have to start giving out handys." RJ

fauxpaxfauxreal

Quote from: antelope19 on November 09, 2009, 01:08:27 PM

I don't like the fact that they killed abortion funding for those most likely to use abortions (the lower classes).

Also: There is little chance this will pass the three votes to come.  It passed with a TINY margin in the House, which has a sizable democratic majority.  If it does pass the Senate, I think the compromise bill will definitely not repass in the House.  Also, the fact that they had the final debate and vote on a Saturday probably had a great deal to do with it passing.  There is always a higher chance of getting a vote to go through when you are in a "special session".

sls.stormyrider

by no means a perfect bill, but, considering what we have now, not bad.

I doubt the Senate will pass a bill with a public option.

Frankly, I don't get it. Only 4% of the population would even qualify for a public option, the way it is written now. Hardly seems like it is "a road to government takeover of health care".

Lieberman (who I respect, in general) is getting on my nerves more and more over time.
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

fauxpaxfauxreal

Quote from: slslbs on November 09, 2009, 06:10:53 PM

Frankly, I don't get it. Only 4% of the population would even qualify for a public option, the way it is written now. Hardly seems like it is "a road to government takeover of health care".

Lieberman (who I respect, in general) is getting on my nerves more and more over time.

It's the lobby system.  These dooders are getting PIZZAID (and maybe even intimidated physically) to not pass real health care reform.  This is the way the system we have works.  Especially because most of us have the attitude that this is "just the way it works".  We are all to blame for our collective laziness and inability to tackle tough issues head on.

Superfreakie

Wow, I am surprised you had an affinity towards him. I have found him to be the slimiest of the slimy snakes. So transparently self-serving, at times it makes me sick....then again most politicians do  :-P 
Que te vaya bien, que te vaya bien, Te quiero más que las palabras pueden decir.

Superfreakie

Quote from: fauxpaxfauxreal on November 09, 2009, 06:15:05 PM

It's the lobby system.  These dooders are getting PIZZAID (and maybe even intimidated physically) to not pass real health care reform.  This is the way the system we have works.  Especially because most of us have the attitude that this is "just the way it works".  We are all to blame for our collective laziness and inability to tackle tough issues head on.

The United States is suffering from a severe democratic deficit that stems from those lobbying moneys needed to fund electoral campaigns. Take a quick glance at last week's mayoral, governor and district elections, and the incomprehensible amount of money spent on the campaigns. And the solution is simple extremely simple; the US should have publicly funded elections. It would immediately cut a tremendous amount of corruption and return a significant portion of the US back to the people....... 
Que te vaya bien, que te vaya bien, Te quiero más que las palabras pueden decir.

Alumni

Wait, SF...

Are you saying it *shouldn't* cost one hundred million dollars to win the NYC mayoral election?  :crazy:

Cause I got a degree

Hicks

Quote from: Superfreakie on November 10, 2009, 04:23:59 PM

Wow, I am surprised you had an affinity towards him. I have found him to be the slimiest of the slimy snakes. So transparently self-serving, at times it makes me sick....

Agreed, what a slimeball.
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

rowjimmy

Quote from: Hicks on November 10, 2009, 05:45:08 PM
Quote from: Superfreakie on November 10, 2009, 04:23:59 PM

Wow, I am surprised you had an affinity towards him. I have found him to be the slimiest of the slimy snakes. So transparently self-serving, at times it makes me sick....

Agreed, what a slimeball.

Third'd
Dude is on my folding chair list.

sls.stormyrider

I guess my liking him dates back to the campaign of 2000.
The past 2 years or so, it's an entirely different story.
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

Hicks

I'm of the opinion that Gore may have picked up a Southern state or two without Lieberman on the ticket.
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

sls.stormyrider

"If every Deadhead in Florida voted in 2000, the world would be a different place now"

Bob Weir, October, 2008

Hicks

Quote from: slslbs on November 10, 2009, 09:24:28 PM
"If every Deadhead in Florida voted in 2000, the world would be a different place now"

Bob Weir, October, 2008

I hear ya, no sense in wishing the past had been different.