News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Healthcare Content (Protest Instructions) >>>>>

Started by sophist, August 06, 2009, 09:48:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rowjimmy

Quote from: slslbs on March 23, 2010, 03:22:14 PM
Quote from: rowjimmy on March 23, 2010, 11:56:59 AM
Bill >
Law
(end set)
it's not that easy. (not that this was easy)
still a way to go on this

I simply meant that the bill is now law.

sls.stormyrider

understood.
and very psyched about that.
I'm just taking the long view, cause we still have lots of work to do.
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

messengerbird

Quote from: slslbs on March 23, 2010, 11:43:43 PM
understood.
and very psyched about that.
I'm just taking the long view, cause we still have lots of work to do.

agreed. Should be interesting to see how things play out over the next year or two.
Central part of town, I'm going down

Quote from: Phishy69 on January 05, 2010, 11:12:04 PM
A match made in Gamehenge  :-D

guyforget

hell, itll be interesting to see how things play out this week.

-AD_

Superfreakie

F BomB Biden

Que te vaya bien, que te vaya bien, Te quiero más que las palabras pueden decir.

Guyute

I guess it is time to present the minority point of view I was very much against this bill.  Against this bill, not providing universal health care.
This bill is exceptionally poorly written.  Far too many compromises in the wrong areas.  The Cadillac plan tax they put in is going to harm many people trying to get health care.  Companies with these plans are already investigating going to private funded plans which means 2 things.  1.  No tax revenue they were expecting and 2. these higher plans are what help make the insurance companies profitable and disperse their costs as these higher incomes tend to live healthier lives, those costs are now going to get passed on to the small business and the people buying their own insurance.

Then for those making more than %133 and %400 of the poverty level they must buy insurance or pay a $695 fine.  Even with the buying groups the insurance companies can't offer a plan they can afford.   Most people making %400 will struggle with even some of the basic health care plans.  It is going to offer health care to 32 million people, not provide.  They are still going to have to figure out a way to pay for it themselves.

Where it did well was expanding medicaid to more people.

What this bill should have concentrated on was health care reform.  Insurance companies have record profits every year and this did nothing to regulate the industry that has developed in a way to prevent affordable health care. 

It does nothing to address the fact that costs are rising at such a rate that small businesses are having to drop coverage or not hire to maintain it.  They are the heart of job growth in this country and by helping them you would have help the economy and provided coverage to more people.

Prescription drugs, seriously, what the F***.  The U.S. pays more to buy drugs from the same companies than any other country.  That is at the heart of our rising medical costs, why didn't it address that?

This bill passes costs on to people who can afford healthcare to pay for those who can't and will cause their coverage to decline in doing so.  It doesn't actually provide healthcare to the 32 million, and it magically doesn't address industry reform for an industry with lobbiest with really deep pockets. 

Can we stop with it will save money?  Basic logic makes that impossible.  32 million people don't have a means to coverage today, but will.  It saves money by increasing taxes and payments elsewhere, not by actually saving money.

Congressional asshats, had a chance to do something great and did something poor they are masking as great.
Good decisions come from experience;
Experience comes from bad decisions.

About to open a bottle of Macallan.  There's my foreign policy; I support Scotland.

mattstick

guyforget

http://tpmmuckraker.talkingpointsmemo.com/2010/03/fbi_investigating_cut_gas_line_at_home_of_dem_reps.php

apparently protest now entails posting addresses of family members of congresspeople and cutting gas lines at their houses

stay classy, tea party republicans

-AD_

Hicks

Quote from: guyforget on March 24, 2010, 02:08:14 PM
http://tpmmuckraker.talkingpointsmemo.com/2010/03/fbi_investigating_cut_gas_line_at_home_of_dem_reps.php

apparently protest now entails posting addresses of family members of congresspeople and cutting gas lines at their houses

stay classy, tea party republicans

Sweet, right wing domestic terrorism!  They really do love America.
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

guyforget

yeah, like the scumbag militia leader Mike Vanderboegh in Alabama who recently took credit for inciting people to throw bricks though congresspeoples's windows and who also recently said that people were "cleaning their weapons."  he's also under investigation for leaving messages on a ny congresswoman's voicemail threatening to kill all the children of congresspeople who vote for the bill. 

the shocker?

.... he lives on a monthly social security check. 

-AD_

rowjimmy

Superfreakie

Que te vaya bien, que te vaya bien, Te quiero más que las palabras pueden decir.

sls.stormyrider

Quote from: Guyute on March 24, 2010, 07:26:39 AM
I guess it is time to present the minority point of view I was very much against this bill.  Against this bill, not providing universal health care.
This bill is exceptionally poorly written.  Far too many compromises in the wrong areas.  The Cadillac plan tax they put in is going to harm many people trying to get health care.  Companies with these plans are already investigating going to private funded plans which means 2 things.  1.  No tax revenue they were expecting and 2. these higher plans are what help make the insurance companies profitable and disperse their costs as these higher incomes tend to live healthier lives, those costs are now going to get passed on to the small business and the people buying their own insurance.

Then for those making more than %133 and %400 of the poverty level they must buy insurance or pay a $695 fine.  Even with the buying groups the insurance companies can't offer a plan they can afford.   Most people making %400 will struggle with even some of the basic health care plans.  It is going to offer health care to 32 million people, not provide.  They are still going to have to figure out a way to pay for it themselves.

Where it did well was expanding medicaid to more people.

What this bill should have concentrated on was health care reform.  Insurance companies have record profits every year and this did nothing to regulate the industry that has developed in a way to prevent affordable health care. 

It does nothing to address the fact that costs are rising at such a rate that small businesses are having to drop coverage or not hire to maintain it.  They are the heart of job growth in this country and by helping them you would have help the economy and provided coverage to more people.

Prescription drugs, seriously, what the F***.  The U.S. pays more to buy drugs from the same companies than any other country.  That is at the heart of our rising medical costs, why didn't it address that?

This bill passes costs on to people who can afford healthcare to pay for those who can't and will cause their coverage to decline in doing so.  It doesn't actually provide healthcare to the 32 million, and it magically doesn't address industry reform for an industry with lobbiest with really deep pockets. 

Can we stop with it will save money?  Basic logic makes that impossible.  32 million people don't have a means to coverage today, but will.  It saves money by increasing taxes and payments elsewhere, not by actually saving money.

Congressional asshats, had a chance to do something great and did something poor they are masking as great.

I think you made some good points, which is why I earlier said that we still have a lot of work to do. I see this as an important first step, but what still has to be figured out is how to actually reduce costs. The 3rd party payers and the govt had addressed this by simply telling doctors and hospitals "we are going to pay you less", which doesn't make sense.

we could have had a good bill if the top minds in both parties sat down and discussed it with input from the medical community, and didn't worry about the politics. Being that this is the USA in the 21 century, an intelligent process in lawmaking is impossible, and this is what we got stuck with.

"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

Superfreakie

Quote from: slslbs on March 24, 2010, 04:57:57 PM
we could have had a good bill if the top minds in both parties sat down and discussed it with input from the medical community, and didn't worry about the politics. Being that this is the USA in the 21 century, an intelligent process in lawmaking is impossible, and this is what we got stuck with.

due to the way the government in your country is set up, a two party system that requires unwavering polarity for its populous support, this is how you must now advance legislation. First, get the ball rolling no matter how bad it looks on paper, as has just happened. And then, when the dust settles, both sides will come to the table, having dropped their polemical arguments so that they may hammer out something that will truly help the country. This is the only way that the legislative process can be steered away from a zero sum game and in this manner neither loses face (Japanese term not to be confused with melting face).

sls.stormyrider

Quote from: Superfreakie on March 24, 2010, 05:22:23 PM
Quote from: slslbs on March 24, 2010, 04:57:57 PM

due to the way the government in your country is set up, a two party system that requires unwavering polarity for its populous support, this is how you must now advance legislation. First, get the ball rolling no matter how bad it looks on paper, as has just happened. And then, when the dust settles, both sides will come to the table, having dropped their polemical arguments so that they may hammer out something that will truly help the country. This is the only way that the legislative process can be steered away from a zero sum game and in this manner neither loses face (Japanese term not to be confused with melting face).

maybe if both sides melted face we could get something done