News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Healthcare Content (Protest Instructions) >>>>>

Started by sophist, August 06, 2009, 09:48:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

runawayjimbo

Quote from: slslbs on June 29, 2012, 11:16:51 AM
so - did a little bit of checking after hearing conflicting claims about health care costs in MA since the implementation of RomneyCare.

in 08, MA had the highest premiums in the country
in '10, 9th highest
healtblog.org rated MA as #1 for "cost effective" coverage, somehow rating amount and quality of coverage per health care dollar spent.

Sorry, I missed this.

While the growth in premiums has slowed, that can also be attributed to lower growth in total healthcare spending due to the 3 yr recession we're living through rather than cost savings brought about by increasing coverage. The problem, however, is that the amount of money MA spends on healthcare is currently crowding out other programs as healthcare spending will account for more than half of MA's budget for FY2012.

I know I sound like a broken record, but I am not opposed to reducing healthcare costs and providing greater access to care for everyone, I just don't believe you can do it cost effectively by giving gov't more control over these types decisions (unless you are prepared to allow gov't to start making your healthcare choices for you, which I am not).
Quote from: DoW on October 26, 2013, 09:06:17 PM
I'm drunk but that was epuc

Quote from: mehead on June 22, 2016, 11:52:42 PM
The Line still sucks. Hard.

Quote from: Gumbo72203 on July 25, 2017, 08:21:56 PM
well boys, we fucked up by not being there.

mbw

pretty great that many of the uninsured/underinsured colorado shooting victims have to beg on the internet to help with their hundreds of thousand to millions of dollars of hospital bills!

http://video.msnbc.msn.com/rock-center/48347105

Hicks

Quote from: mirthbeatenworker on July 27, 2012, 06:17:56 PM
pretty great that many of the uninsured/underinsured colorado shooting victims have to beg on the internet to help with their hundreds of thousand to millions of dollars of hospital bills!

Let the free market sort it out!
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

gah

Quote from: Hicks on July 27, 2012, 06:25:58 PM
Quote from: mirthbeatenworker on July 27, 2012, 06:17:56 PM

Let the free market sort it out!

AND let me buy a rocket launcher damnit!
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.

rowjimmy

Tax the guns and bullets to pay for universal healthcare!

gah

Quote from: rowjimmy on July 31, 2012, 12:55:43 PM

If the gov't wasn't so big already, they wouldn't need more taxes. It's all inefficient waste.

rowjimmy

Quote from: goodabouthood on July 31, 2012, 01:23:04 PM

If the gov't wasn't so big already, they wouldn't need more taxes. It's all inefficient waste.

You want small gov't?
Go to Somalia.

mbw

Now you're talking.  500%, retroactive.
My sister is senior counsel for a prominent Massachusetts politician.  I will write up a bill and submit it to her.

sophist

Quote from: rowjimmy on July 31, 2012, 01:26:42 PM
Quote from: goodabouthood on July 31, 2012, 01:23:04 PM

You want small gov't?
Go to Somalia.
I thought he wanted small Asian women? 
Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

VDB

QuotePHOENIX –  An Arizona woman is wondering what hurt more: getting stung by a scorpion or seeing her hospital bill after treatment.

Marcie Edmonds says the bill from Chandler Regional Medical Center was more than $83,000. That includes two doses of anti-venom at nearly $40,000 per dose.

The Arizona Republic says Edmonds' insurer has paid more than $57,000 and the suburban Phoenix hospital is asking Edmonds for the balance of about $25,000.

The 52-year-old Ahwatukee Foothills resident was stung in June while opening a box of air conditioner filters in her garage.

Edmonds says an emergency room doctor told her about the Mexican anti-venom Anascorp that could quickly relieve her symptoms, but she was never told about the cost.

Chandler Regional says Edmonds' bill represents the out-of-network costs for her treatment.

via
Is this still Wombat?

sls.stormyrider

she should have called ahead, found out how much it cost to get anti - venom.
when she found out the price she should have called around to try and get a better deal.

this is, after all, a free market society.
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

rowjimmy

Quote from: slslbs on September 05, 2012, 05:40:18 PM
when she found out the price she should have called around to try and get a better deal.

She should have had the forethought to fumigate.

gah

Quote from: rowjimmy on September 06, 2012, 07:53:18 AM
Quote from: slslbs on September 05, 2012, 05:40:18 PM

She should have had the forethought to fumigate.

I don't see what the big deal is. She's obviously rich, I mean, she has air conditioning! She probably has a tv and fridge too. Bitch needs to pay up.

runawayjimbo

Free market society/healthcare system, LOL

What does "out of network" mean in a free market society anyway?

But I'm sure you guys are right that this is just a case of a greedy (Mexican) drug company gouging consumers (which totally explains why the drug costs $100 in Mexico).
Quote from: DoW on October 26, 2013, 09:06:17 PM
I'm drunk but that was epuc

Quote from: mehead on June 22, 2016, 11:52:42 PM
The Line still sucks. Hard.

Quote from: Gumbo72203 on July 25, 2017, 08:21:56 PM
well boys, we fucked up by not being there.

gah

Quote from: runawayjimbo on September 06, 2012, 01:38:31 PM
Free market society/healthcare system, LOL

What does "out of network" mean in a free market society anyway?

But I'm sure you guys are right that this is just a case of a greedy (Mexican) drug company gouging consumers (which totally explains why the drug costs $100 in Mexico).

They're in cahoots with the air conditioning people. I'd bet you a dose of anti-venom (mexican cost, not US) that those air conditioning filters were made in Mexico. How else did the scorpions get into this country? It's a full blown conspiracy between drug company/insurance company/hospital/AC filter company/scorpions/border patrol/and libertarians.