News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Interview Thread

Started by redrum, January 02, 2009, 10:59:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JPhishman

http://www.fretboardjournal.com/podcast/fretboard-journal-podcast-33-mike-gordon-phish?ref=nf

A little something for those of you who enjoy the phish..... this Gordon interview is straight awesome.

"Be sure your expectations are reasonable." - fortune cookie

sophist

Quote from: rowjimmy on November 22, 2010, 04:51:51 PM
Seriously, though. Minor says that dudes solos were no good but they were good. They were exactly what they should have been and well within the spirit of the original record.

He furthur asserts that opinion as a basis for saying that stuart and co. would have sucked on Exile but knowing his work, I can confidently say that they would have played exactly what the gig required... This sort of rock horn stuff is not exactly a challenge for guys like that.
You're being pretty harsh here.  It's not like he called your wife a cunt. 
::rereads thread::
Yeah, it's not like that.  It comes across like you're taking his disdain for the costume personally, and I can only ask why?  If he thinks it sucks, then he thinks it sucks.  There's a good reason we all go flocking to different types of music, and I'd say this exemplifies it.  Personally, I think it's pretty fucking laughable that you guys are defending the Dap Kings/Antibalas players this way.  Yes, they have talent, but they're no world class, league of their own musicians.  They're solid session players that have made a name for themselves.  It's not like Minor is shitting on Coltrane, Miles, or Monk.  Players that clearly shifted the scope of music.  Calm down, and get over it.  Some people think the costume/people performing it sucks.  Big fucking deal. 

Move on>>>>>>>>>>
Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

rowjimmy

Quote from: sophist on November 23, 2010, 06:47:44 AM
Quote from: rowjimmy on November 22, 2010, 04:51:51 PM
Seriously, though. Minor says that dudes solos were no good but they were good. They were exactly what they should have been and well within the spirit of the original record.

He furthur asserts that opinion as a basis for saying that stuart and co. would have sucked on Exile but knowing his work, I can confidently say that they would have played exactly what the gig required... This sort of rock horn stuff is not exactly a challenge for guys like that.
You're being pretty harsh here.  It's not like he called your wife a cunt. 
::rereads thread::
Yeah, it's not like that.  It comes across like you're taking his disdain for the costume personally, and I can only ask why?  If he thinks it sucks, then he thinks it sucks.  There's a good reason we all go flocking to different types of music, and I'd say this exemplifies it.  Personally, I think it's pretty fucking laughable that you guys are defending the Dap Kings/Antibalas players this way.  Yes, they have talent, but they're no world class, league of their own musicians.  They're solid session players that have made a name for themselves.  It's not like Minor is shitting on Coltrane, Miles, or Monk.  Players that clearly shifted the scope of music.  Calm down, and get over it.  Some people think the costume/people performing it sucks.  Big fucking deal. 

Move on>>>>>>>>>>

I don't take it personally, I just think it's a wildly inaccurate position.

The guys are great players and worthy of respect. I think it's more likely that Minor is expecting some Coltrane shit on a rock stage cos he's clearly not expecting the rock solid straight ahead shit they're putting out.

sophist

Your perception of them doesn't warrant any respect, nor does mine.  That's beauty and tragedy of subjectivity. 
Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

rowjimmy

Quote from: sophist on November 23, 2010, 08:55:48 AM
Your perception of them doesn't warrant any respect, nor does mine.  That's beauty and tragedy of subjectivity.

My perception?

I'm referring to their body of work.

sophist

Quote from: rowjimmy on November 23, 2010, 09:00:30 AM
Quote from: sophist on November 23, 2010, 08:55:48 AM

My perception?

I'm referring to their body of work.
Yes, perception.  There's no objective way to judge music, so it boils down to perception, opinion, view point, whatever you want to call it.  You perceive their body of work as good, awesome, face melting, etc.  That's a perception.   

rowjimmy

Your entry into this discussion has done nothing but drag it out.

I stand by my position that Mr. Minor needs to re-listen to the performance so that he can revise his judgement.

You stand by your position as an interjecting third party.

sophist

Quote from: rowjimmy on November 23, 2010, 09:51:51 AM

I stand by my position that Mr. Minor needs to re-listen to the performance so that he can revise his judgement.

You're averting the fact that I'm in the right here.  The attention doesn't need to be on me and what I've contributed, it should remain on the fact that it's perfectly valid to think the horn section or sax player did suck with regard to the Waiting For Columbus set.   

rowjimmy

Quote from: sophist on November 23, 2010, 10:01:33 AM
Quote from: rowjimmy on November 23, 2010, 09:51:51 AM

You're averting the fact that I'm in the right here.  The attention doesn't need to be on me and what I've contributed, it should remain on the fact that it's perfectly valid to think the horn section or sax player did suck with regard to the Waiting For Columbus set.   

No.

It might be valid to say you didn't like his performance. Crazy but valid. But to say that he sucked and that the entire section would have sucked up the Exile set had they been available to play is not valid. It's an egregious extension of an opinion that indicates the person really doesn't know the artists about whom he's speaking.

In my opinion he played well on WFC and anyone who knows what he and they do would not be able to make the assumption that Minor made about Exile.

So again, keep drawing it out. The other guy sure doesn't seem interested in it (nor am I, really as I've explained my point repeatedly now,) not sure why you are.

qop24

Quote from: Gumbo72203 on June 14, 2011, 11:26:55 PM
Trey actually is totally inspired with ideas up the ass

Quote from: kellerb on July 06, 2011, 07:16:17 PM
When you're on droogz you don't remember which eye's supposed to be lazy

sophist

Quote from: qop24 on November 23, 2010, 10:30:53 AM
Now children!
Anybody wants to pick on someone, pick on this kid, cause I ain't watchin' 

rowjimmy

qop24

Quote from: Gumbo72203 on June 14, 2011, 11:26:55 PM
Trey actually is totally inspired with ideas up the ass

Quote from: kellerb on July 06, 2011, 07:16:17 PM
When you're on droogz you don't remember which eye's supposed to be lazy

rowjimmy

Quote from: qop24 on November 23, 2010, 10:41:45 AM
Quote from: rowjimmy on November 23, 2010, 10:34:58 AM
Quote from: qop24 on November 23, 2010, 10:30:53 AM
Now children!

Pipe down, junior!