News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Breakin Bad on AMC

Started by VA $l!m, April 06, 2009, 12:11:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VA $l!m

i forgot how much i hated Walter at the end of BB until i saw some of the marathon the other day...
To be completely honest im not a huge fan of how they wrote his character in about the back half of the series.
I have a sneaking suspicion it coincides with when he became a producer on the show.
-I'm still walkin', so i'm sure that I can dance-

mbw

Quote from: VA $l!m on July 12, 2022, 02:13:03 PMi forgot how much i hated Walter at the end of BB until i saw some of the marathon the other day...
To be completely honest im not a huge fan of how they wrote his character in about the back half of the series.
I have a sneaking suspicion it coincides with when he became a producer on the show.

I remember you being team Jessie, that f'in rat.

VA $l!m

Quote from: mbw on July 12, 2022, 04:24:23 PM
Quote from: VA $l!m on July 12, 2022, 02:13:03 PMi forgot how much i hated Walter at the end of BB until i saw some of the marathon the other day...

I remember you being team Jessie, that f'in rat.
8)

VA $l!m

idk man... now that BCS is over i'm seeing reviews saying its one of the best tv shows of all time, even better than Breaking BAd.

Personally i couldn't disagree more.
I found it passable at best.
OVerall it felt like the acting was solid, but beyond that i didnt find the plots of the series engaging in the slightest and i felt tortured sitting through many sections of the series like i just couldnt care less about the story being told.
I found no overarching theme or message or anything memorable.

Breaking Bad definitely fell off in later seasons, and Saul just felt like a continuation of everything i didnt like about parts of BB.
More than anything i felt this last season was overly pretentious.
The Black and White episodes... like why.
what was the purpose.
At a stretch is made the tone of the story more serious , pulling away from the overarching comedy of Sauls character, but all i kept thinking was, "surely they wont do another B&W episode"... then they did... for no reason IMO.

I have no amazing exposition on why the series didnt connect with me, but saying its "best ever" .. oof.
I can't see why beyond peoples desperation for meaningful tv shows in the current desert landscape of tv.
I feel like there just way too much tryhard at being 'deep' in this series. Ironically using blatant tools like B&W to do so.
Pretentious is the only word that keeps coming to mind.

Was it a bad show? no. was it groudbreaking? not in my opinion.
 2 cents.

VA $l!m

idk man... now that BCS is over i'm seeing reviews saying its one of the best tv shows of all time, even better than Breaking BAd.

Personally i couldn't disagree more.
I found it passable at best.
OVerall it felt like the acting was solid, but beyond that i didnt find the plot or writing of the series engaging in the slightest and i felt tortured sitting through many sections of the series like i just couldnt care less about the story being told.
I found no overarching theme or message or anything memorable.

Breaking Bad definitely fell off in later seasons, and Saul just felt like a continuation of everything i didnt like about parts of BB.
More than anything i felt this last season was overly pretentious.
The Black and White episodes... like why.
what was the purpose.
At a stretch is made the tone of the story more serious , pulling away from the overarching comedy of Sauls character, but all i kept thinking was, "surely they wont do another B&W episode"... then they did... for no reason IMO.

I have no amazing exposition on why the series didnt connect with me, but saying its "best ever" .. oof.
I can't see why beyond peoples desperation for meaningful tv shows in the current desert landscape of tv.
I feel like there just way too much tryhard at being 'deep' in this series. Ironically using blatant tools like B&W to do so.
Pretentious is the only word that keeps coming to mind.

Was it a bad show? no. was it groudbreaking? not in my opinion.
 2 cents.

GBL

If this is love, I'm never going home..

VA $l!m

cactusfan

I loved Better Call Saul. Better than Breaking Bad? I think it's a toss-up. They're similar in ways and wildly different in others. Great, great ending to Saul. I was a little worried there during those two kinda transitional episodes where the story we'd been following more or less ended, and the "future" Saul took over. But man, those final two episodes are dynamite. Jimmy finally owns up to who he is. That's the show. That's some deep character work. And Kim, what an amazing character too, and what a peformance.

I'm still pissed off about Nacho, but so it goes. My one question, which I'll find out soon enough when I re-watch BB, in the original scene of Saul being hauled out by Walter and Jesse into the desert and thrown down at the grave, does he actually say the name Ignacio? As just some random name Saul spews out that at the time meant nothing? Which the writers of BCS then latched onto to create the character of Nacho? After all, it's Saul helping out Nacho at the start of season 1 that brings him into that world, that starts his journey to becoming Saul.

rowjimmy

I have one episode left of Better Call Saul.
I have been putting off watch because I don't want to be done.
I haven't read anything in this thread in ages because I've been behind. Can't wait to catch up once I've watched...

khalpin

After you finish, any chance you can correct the thread title?

VA $l!m

GBL

If this is love, I'm never going home..

mbw

rowjimmy

Quote from: khalpin on September 21, 2022, 01:28:04 PMAfter you finish, any chance you can correct the thread title?

No can do.