News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

organize your CDs?

Started by AfterMidnight, October 08, 2007, 09:57:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AfterMidnight

I'm a wanted to see how everyone organize their CDs. Do you download burn to DVD back up and a harddrive back, then a CD for the home stereo? Where do you put your CDs? i don't burn any back up. why do some of you make two back copies?

I put everything in the big books that holds 300 cds. phish and the dead have their own books everything else get thrown in books together? anyway have any better ideas for me?

thanks,
mark

blatboom

i'm pretty basic.  whatever I grab I back up to CD.  i'd much rather use DVDs but i don't have a burner.  i'm also still using audio CDs so I do have books separated by tours/bands etc.  don't you wanna back your shows up in case a CD gets damaged?

AfterMidnight

it just seems like a ton of cash  to back up all you shows. Sooner or later that hard drive is going to break, and all those flac files are gone anyways....

AfterMidnight

August

That's why you should back up on DVD's.
a

blatboom

but that's the point.  I got no HD space so I back the flacs onto discs which sit in spindles.  I was just presenting my system, it's all good

EDIT: what aug said

August

Quote from: blatboom on October 08, 2007, 10:28:31 PM
but that's the point.  I got no HD space so I back the flacs onto discs which sit in spindles.  I was just presenting my system, it's all good

EDIT: what aug said

Cd's are fine, they just take up more space, obviously.
All of my Phish shn/flacs take up about 350 DVD's which is approximately 2100 CD's.  :-)
a

blatboom

Quote from: August on October 08, 2007, 10:30:53 PM
Cd's are fine, they just take up more space, obviously.
All of my Phish shn/flacs take up about 350 DVD's which is approximately 2100 CD's.  :-)
a

my only DVD option is to get an external but I've heard bad things?

rowjimmy

August

Quote from: blatboom on October 08, 2007, 10:32:03 PM
my only DVD option is to get an external but I've heard bad things?

External burners?
They work just as well as internals.
If you are serious about your collection, Rule #1 is BACK UP TO DVD.
a

nab

IME internals break down just as fast as externals.

blatboom

Quote from: August on October 08, 2007, 10:34:07 PM
External burners?
They work just as well as internals.
If you are serious about your collection, Rule #1 is BACK UP TO DVD.
a

what about the fact that i've got an old ass laptop with little RAM?
how much does a spindle of DVDs run?

August

Quote from: blatboom on October 08, 2007, 10:37:36 PM
what about the fact that i've got an old ass laptop with little RAM?
how much does a spindle of DVDs run?

A spindle runs between $10-$15.
Check your local Circuit City/Staples/Office Max for their weekly deals.

Old-ass laptops with little RAM might slow down your burn, but I burn at 4X, anyway.
Make sure you verify your files with mkwact/frontend/trader's helper before and after each burn.
a

blatboom

Quote from: August on October 08, 2007, 10:40:51 PM
A spindle runs between $10-$15.
Check your local Circuit City/Staples/Office Max for their weekly deals.

Old-ass laptops with little RAM might slow down your burn, but I burn at 4X, anyway.
Make sure you verify your files with mkwact/frontend/trader's helper before and after each burn.
a

alright, I'm on the case...
thanks guys.

sls.stormyrider

the other reason to backup to DVD is to save a copy of the data files for trading. the biggest challenge for me is to keep the dvd's organized so I can find a show if I need it.
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."