News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Tivo?

Started by antelope19, February 13, 2008, 04:59:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

antelope19

How many of you have one, or something similar?  How many of you couldn't live without it?  I've never had one, so I guess i don't know how nice they really are.  Well, I've gotten part of my tax return and am brainstorming on what to nab with it.  Tivo is something I am considering.   
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment

August

Quote from: antelope19 on February 13, 2008, 04:59:51 PM
brainstorming on what to nab with it. 

Is that like being Munsoned in the middle of nowhere?
a

antelope19

excellent kingpin reference.  I haven't seen that movie in quite some time.  But no, I don't plan on being up a creek without a paddle.

mattstick

You can't get HD Tivo in Canada, so I don't know much about it.  I do know that it randomly records stuff it "thinks" you might like, and generally has some (seemingly) annoying features like that.  Also I think there is some sortof fee for the Tivo service?

What I'd guess you really want is a DVR Cablebox, it has a Hard Drive and allows you to record shows from your guide menu.  I'm sure your cable company can give you more details, they'll probably rent or sell you one.

antelope19

Hmmmm....interesting.  Thanks for the input.  And yes, tivo does have a monthly charge for their services.

sls.stormyrider

we have one. I suppose I could live w/o it but it makes life much easier.

You should def check with your cable service and see which is cheaper/better, a DVR from the cable co or a tivo. Either way, you should be able to get a deal. My dad was thinking about buying one, and the rebate special covered about 90% of the purchase price. For him though, the cable DVR was better.

as far as programming, it's pretty easy. if you put is in your home network, you can even program it from your pc at work to record something. You can also set up a "season pass" to record a show every time it comes on (like Lost), with the option of not recording reruns. AFAIK, the same options are available through the cable co.

the other cool thing is that if your watching something on tivo, and the phone rings, you can pause it and pick up where you left off. or, if you come home after the show has started, you can start from the beginning, even if the show is still on (unlike VCR when you have to wait for it to end and re-wind the tape).

there is a feature for recording things it thinks you would like, but we've turned that off.
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

tet

Tivo is just heads and shoulders better than any cable company's DVR.

slick interface, 14 days of programming (most cable company DVRs give 7 days max), Season Passes, smart searches with automatic recording for matching programming, regular updates, cool downloads (The Onion, CNet, music, movies), ability to connect it to your computer over the network and download/burn DVDs of anything you recorded...

best of all, it records shit based on my ratings, and by now, it really knows me well.  out of nowhere, it recorded Innerspace for me today - i love that movie and had never rated it before!  you can also log on to their website from anywhere and tell your Tivo to record something you forgot to tell it before, as long as it's about 40-60 minutes in advance.  that feature alone has saved my life many times!!!

if you get the new HD Tivo, yes, you will pay more for Tivo than a DVR from your cable service (unless it's Time Warner in NYC, who anally rape me every month just for a pretty picture).  HD Tivo uses CableCards (which you need to get - and usually pay a rental fee - from your cable company) - and you need 2 of them so it can record 2 channels at once, a feature common with most DVRs from a cable company.  so, instead of the DVR fee to your cable company ($10, plus $5 for the box rental), you pay a fee to Tivo (dunno, $13 now?) plus 2x CableCards ($3 each?) - so it may be a bit more, but worth every cent.

i've messed with DVRs and Tivo for many years, you will be much happier with Tivo in the long run - i guarantee it. 
"We want you to be happy"
-Phish

mattstick

I'm sold.  I haven't seen it in years, sounds like they pimped it out.

To run in Canada you can only use basic analog cable, and it uses US station guides for it's content lists.  Pretty much useless.

We're trying to phase out cable box DVRs in our Home Theatre installs (better to sell them something for $10K than have them buy a $450 cable box).  This thing is insanely expensive, runs on Vista, but is pretty pimp - should be installing one on a job soon.

http://niveusmedia.com/products/denali07v.htm

tet

that's a dope box!  damn...
"We want you to be happy"
-Phish

alcoholandcoffeebeans

we've got the DVR cable box.

its' nice when you work all evenings, like myself, and you can still satch your shows at your leisure.
honest to the point of recklessness...                     ♫ ♪ ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llılı ♪ ♫

rowjimmy

Quote from: alcoholandcoffeebeans on February 14, 2008, 02:12:32 AM
we've got the DVR cable box.

its' nice when you work all evenings, like myself, and you can still satch your shows at your leisure.

While I still want a tivo, I tend to download the shows that I miss so I can satch them when convenient.

antelope19

Thanks for the input guys and gals!

mattstick

Yeah my roommate and I talked about whether or not to spend the money on a DVR, and we opted to just download shows we miss.

I do miss pausing live TV though, and rewinding during sporting events for sick plays.

antelope19

Quote from: mattstick on February 14, 2008, 08:58:06 AM
I do miss pausing live TV though, and rewinding during sporting events for sick plays.

This is stuff I have never been able to do.  I think that alone would be worth it. 

rowjimmy

Quote from: antelope19 on February 14, 2008, 09:02:30 AM
Quote from: mattstick on February 14, 2008, 08:58:06 AM

This is stuff I have never been able to do.  I think that alone would be worth it. 

It is a very handy feature.