News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

07/03 - Super Ball IX - Watkins Glen, NY - Post-Show Discussion and Review

Started by rowjimmy, July 04, 2011, 12:31:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Poster Nutbag

Quote from: Gumbo72203 on July 04, 2011, 03:20:42 PM
really weird Phish festival from what I see.

big versions of Gin, Simple, Golden Age, and Reba....  narration in Forbinbird, a return to Albany shows (last set starting "jam" and last With-less Curtain) but then lacking in a Slave and YEM.....   Slave has been their big, pinnacle 'we-end-the-huge-ones-with-this' song, and they don't even play it? 

odd.  cant wait to listen though

The with-less Curtain was surely planned, with the appearance of Reba near the end of the set...
Control for smilers can't be bought...

"Your answer is silly. What'd do you want the song to do? End world hunger?
It's a fucking Phish song, some of them are very complex compositions, some are not.

This one with its complex vocal arrangement falls right in between.
But that and a hook aren't enough so I'll let Trey know his songs have to start giving out handys." RJ

whatapiper

Quote from: Poster Nutbag on July 04, 2011, 04:01:31 PM

big versions of Gin, Simple, Golden Age, and Reba....  narration in Forbinbird, a return to Albany shows (last set starting "jam" and last With-less Curtain) but then lacking in a Slave and YEM.....   Slave has been their big, pinnacle 'we-end-the-huge-ones-with-this' song, and they don't even play it? 

The with-less Curtain was surely planned, with the appearance of Reba near the end of the set...

my thoughts exactly when they started Reba...
We are all and we are all we are
Far flung bits of Sun and bits of Stars
From the  ocean from the land from the
beginning to end
Backwards forwards back toward
we belong

WhatstheUse?

Quote from: rowjimmy on July 04, 2011, 12:31:30 AM
2011-07-03
Super Ball IX
Watkins Glen International
Watkins Glen, NY

Set 1: Soul Shakedown Party, AC/DC Bag, The Curtain > Col. Forbin's Ascent* > Fly Famous Mockingbird, Destiny Unbound, Big Black Furry Creature From Mars > Wilson > Mound, A Song I Heard The Ocean Sing, Time Loves A Hero, Reba** > David Bowie

Set 2: Big Balls^, Down With Disease > No Quarter, Party Time, Ghost, Gotta Jibboo > Light, Waves > What's The Use?, Meatstick, Stealing Time For The Faulty Plan

Encore: Star Spangled Banner^^, Trey thanks crew & fans, First Tube~

Really dug this first set.  Was happy to hear a bunch of less played songs, and it didn't have any of the 3.0 setlist predictability that most shows have.
Trey still can't play Mockingbird very cleanly but at least I got my first Forbin's narration (and it was awesome!).  Reba>Bowie was the highlights for me, especially the Bowie.

Second set was pretty meh based mostly on the weird flow.  Nothing was badly played, just lack of much substance. Although, I really did like the Light jam, got too a nice funky space for a bit.  Oh.. and Big Balls was fun as hell!
Bring in the dude!

VDB

Sorry bout the Meatstick jinx folks...  I had called it a night by the time that one got pulled out. Good decision on my part.
Is this still Wombat?

PIE-GUY

First of all, Big Fucking Balls! Huge Balls! I fucking love Bonn Scott and this cover made me smile so much.

Second, this was the first time in all my shows that I have ever seen a true mosh pit break out. It was right behind us and it was fairly mild, but there was actual body slamming mosh pit craziness going on during BBFCFM. love it.

Finally, this show was really good. The Waves> :wtu: was nice as hell. The soul shakedown opener was great. The highlights abound, basically.

I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

WhatstheUse?

Wasn't there a Mound "jam" tagged on the end?  That doesn't usually happen.... right?

I haven't listend back to anything yet but couldn't figure out at the time if Trey had just screwed up or what...
Bring in the dude!

guyforget

Quote from: whatapiper on July 04, 2011, 04:08:37 PM

they didnt play "with" because they played rift the day before
-AD_

mistercharlie

Quote from: guyforget on July 04, 2011, 07:51:01 PM

This seems more likely to me.
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

G. Augusto

Quote from: mistercharlie on July 04, 2011, 07:52:48 PM
Quote from: guyforget on July 04, 2011, 07:51:01 PM

This seems more likely to me.

Eh.
They played both songs during the last show of 8.

guyforget

and, the omission of YEM still baffles me to the point of pulling out my hair

not a song to leave out at your stand-alone, not-part-of-a-tour festival... 

end the gig w/ meatstick, faulty plan, and first tube....

even if you want to make yem a "special" song or some crap (w/ which i wouldnt agree), this is a "special event" to which people have come to see those songs, to leave it off the shelf in favor of meatstick, faulty plan, and first tube... 

fuckin facepalm
-AD_

WhatstheUse?

There was no YEM @ the Clifford Ball, Lemonwheel, Oswego, or IT....
Bring in the dude!

mistercharlie

Quote from: WhatstheUse? on July 04, 2011, 08:22:04 PM

Damn! Look at the n00b siting precedent.
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

guyforget

i skipped 'em all but oswego! 

dwd and chalkdust are the only songs played at all of the festivals. 

i probably wouldnt take such an issue w/ it if they hadnt ended a 3 day festival w/ meatstick and faulty plan. 
-AD_

Buffalo Budd

I never realized this.  It's interesting that we criticize a band for their predictability but when they don't play a classic that we feel should be on the setlist, some of us still aren't happy. 
I have to say that I'm looking forward to hearing this 1st set the most.
Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

WhatstheUse?

Bring in the dude!