News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

12/28 - Madison Square Garden - New York, NY - Post-Show Discussion

Started by emay, December 28, 2011, 11:38:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhatstheUse?

Had a blast last night. Weird song selection and set flow but i thought it was a great way to start the run.   Don't think I stopped smiling all night (not drug induced :wtu:)

Tweezer was easily the highlight for me. Super groovy! Can't wait for tonight.

Eta: BEST BAND EVA !
Bring in the dude!

Buffalo Budd

Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

mbw

ATTN: rowjimmy

your haiku skills are needed:

QuotePhish
Haiku a review/deep thoughts of Phish's 12/28/11 Madison Square Garden show and the best entries will be featured on tomorrow night's webcast! You must email your haiku to haiku@phish.com (don't post them below). Only haiku reviews will be considered!

McGrupp

Quote from: WhatstheUse? on December 29, 2011, 02:28:04 PM
Had a blast last night. Weird song selection and set flow but i thought it was a great way to start the run.   Don't think I stopped smiling all night (not drug induced :wtu:)

Tweezer was easily the highlight for me. Super groovy! Can't wait for tonight.

Eta: BEST BAND EVA !

Honestly, with the exception of the lack of sweating and dilated pupils, you did not seem any different last night (in a phish show situation) being sober.

Phish IS drugs for  :wtu:
Just two whiskies, officer.

Quote from: kellerb on November 30, 2010, 10:40:51 PM
I'm not sure if I followed this thread correctly, but what guys are saying is that Dave Thomas sold crack in inner-city DC in the mid-80's, right?

runawayjimbo

Quote from: sophist on December 29, 2011, 11:20:14 AM
Quote from: runawayjimbo on December 29, 2011, 11:06:51 AM
Your distinct lack of hate surprises me, sophist. I just got through the first set and it didn't do much of anything for me.

I agree the Cities had some nice moments and, as usual, ends too soon. And I'll second the frustration with the tentativeness that always seems to bubble up just as things are getting interesting. It seems like every time a jam starts to go somewhere, I have a hard time enjoying it because in the back of my mind I keep waiting for them to kill it.

I'm not feeling the Gin either. All stale, overused rawk riffage from Trey with nary a hint of originality. Add to that his harsh, unnatural tone and a pretty brutal stumble on the "big" peak ~10:00 and I'm left scratching my head at setbreak.

Other than the Cities, the rest of this set is dead to me.
Is it memorable?  No.  But it's not terrible either.  And that's the thing to me, I don't mind it being forgettable, in fact, I like that a lot more than say 6-15, 6-17, or 6-18 from this summer, which are completely terrible to me.  I made it through this without cringing or laughing at them.  I think the biggest is Trey is doing less with more.  During the summer, he was always trying to go outside the box, and the way he was doing it was pure garbage to my ears.  In this show, he stays within the context of each song, and is actually playing along and with the other members.  It's not the Trey show, which I think is the biggest deterrent for me.  Are his chops where they should be?  Not even close.  But, he's humble in this show, and in the second set, with the jam out of Carini they actually do go there, and take the music where it needs to go.  This is why it gets my respect. 

It's not like this show has convinced to leave work, and hit Hartsfield in the hope of making the next three shows, but I am appreciative of the fact that they sound tighter, and they just sound better to my ears.  Last week, I listened to a shitload of Phish for the first time in months, and when I finally hit some 3.0 material (Gorge RnR from this year), I def felt the sentiments that I have been echoing since June of this year.  That they pretty much suck, and are done.  While I'm not sold on them turning things around, I do feel like this show is better than anything from last years nye run.  And with that feeling, I dunno, I just don't hear the show as being bad, or being turned off by it.  I also don't see me holding onto this show either, good odds that before the new year comes I delete this out of my itunes and off my hd.

I agree Trey's apparent restraint is a positive development. I also agree that, in the context of 3.0, it was a pretty decent show. I'm just tired of grading on a curve.

I liked the second set much better than the first, especially the whole Carini > R&R section. 3 min Tubes always bug me, I just don't see the need to cram Rocky Top in there (was Trey trying to tease Auld Lang Syne at one point?). Overall not a terrible start to the run.
Quote from: DoW on October 26, 2013, 09:06:17 PM
I'm drunk but that was epuc

Quote from: mehead on June 22, 2016, 11:52:42 PM
The Line still sucks. Hard.

Quote from: Gumbo72203 on July 25, 2017, 08:21:56 PM
well boys, we fucked up by not being there.

khalpin

Quote from: sunrisevt on December 29, 2011, 01:38:52 PM
Show was kicking.

The fucking renovations cramp my style.
You're the second one to mention that.  I haven't been there since the renovations.  What are the drawbacks?

Augustus

gainesvillegreen

This Carini is wonderful....The KDF in the 1st is pretty good on Trey rips, but there are better out there from 2009.

Page sounds rusty, Mike sounds like he's been playing music lately.

All in all, a pretty standard 12/28 show I think. Looking forward to tonight.
Dysfunction and itemized lists of people's failures are where it's at.

mehead

Just started to jump around a bit on this one...

Cities - really thought they were going to bail @ the 7 min mark but they hung in there, only to completely fade out a couple of min later.  Shocker!!   :frustrated:

This Carini is pretty saweet - now to the Freezah!
His eyes were clean and pure but his mind was so deranged

VA $l!m

like the look of this setlist alot...except bouncin of course... my friend said she thought the show was great/ better than most  anything recent she'd attended.
-I'm still walkin', so i'm sure that I can dance-

phil

Quote from: VA $l!m on December 30, 2011, 11:10:47 AM
like the look of this setlist alot...except bouncin of course... my friend said she thought the show was great/ better than most  anything recent she'd attended.

I agree with all of this. I thought that second set (minus a few little hiccups in the second half of it) was serious heat. Not to overlook the first set (hell, I even thought contact sounded better than usual), but that set II might have been the best of the run.
Quote from: guyforget on November 15, 2010, 11:10:47 PMsure we tend to ramble, but that was a 3 page off topic tangent on crack and doses for breakfast?

susep

28Dec.2011 - MSG

I

Free - nice welcome cheer by the crowd, carries into song, interesting choice for show and run opener, patient open into 1st verse, Page nice in this mix, trippy Leslie like effect from Trey, Mike funk, Trey leads off near 5:16, blown opportunity to build off Mike's foundation Trey steers the jam linearly, what could have been an epic opener becomes standard, mediocre.  crowd loves it.

Glide - ouch, weird choice for #2, cool mini Black Sabbath breakdown, Phish returning the welcome, into

Possum - slight Wilson tease by Trey in the very beginning, another tease? Sparks?, as Aug likes to say, "choo - choo!" personally I'm Possumed out in 3.0,

Cities - another overplayed 3.0 staple however you can't deny its roots in this context, "dry ice factory...", Page and Trey sound good in the mini jam between verses, Trey leads in near 4:35, great Page, oscillating between his ivories and clav, Mike on point as usual, dreammy lines by Trey mixed w/ minor trillage, nothing mind bending per se, Trey leaning into one of his favorite plinko riffs, Mike expounds, I love how Mike takes the improvisational reins, sick Mike!, oh yeah, here it is folks, whale call Trey, nice Fishman, Page adding subtle, trippy motifs, No Quarter-esque Page, here comes the acsending 3.0 ambient thrust, good jam overall, nice.

"do it again boys, do it again!" from the crowd

Ballad - yawn

Stash - 3rd D song this set, Trey leads in at 5:00, this is his PITB, nice group interplay early, love Mike's approach early in the jam, he hooks up nicely w/ Fish, Mike responds to Trey's attempts into the Stashosphere, right there w/ him, Trey runs out of ideas near 7:39, trills himself into cover, tries psuedo Machine Gun, not happening, Page comping intently, sounds pissed, Page taking over, in this tune you can hear Trey's defficiencies,

Contact - pass the cheese please,

Sample - Trey leads in at 3:07, he handles this tune preety well, it fits well in his current carnation as a guitarist, I do notice that his bending isn't as varied or intense, muddy outro solo,

KDF - the Chalk Dust/BOAF hybrid, Mike riffs in near 3:44 beginning jam proper, clean sounding Trey, nice Page, straight ahead rock jamming, again they could have easily morphed into something cool instead Machine Gun Trey.

Gin - eclectic Page in intro, his playing has been on point this whole set, Trey leads in near 4:57 w/ main theme rifferey, Mike lurking underneath, pushing tension, Trey begins to ascend off more trilling, nice hook-up w/ Mike and Fish, Trey pulls back a little, Page comping and adding nice mini lines, emoting trillage by Trey, they continue full band ascent near 7:33, more ascension near 8:30+, what a waste of energy when they could have easily gone into something different, more rock peak, yawn, its really dis-heartning to hear them unwilling to play outside of the box, they play just like ZZ Top or Skynnard psuedo rock crescendo, even here they struggle whereas before they could inspire you w/ their set ending crescendo.

II

Birds - Trey drops/leads in near 3:12, early quotes of main theme, more straight ahead jamming/riffage, again Trey tries to trill up some excitement, trilly Trey near 5:30+, back into main theme, jam ends at 6:04, less then 3 minutes, weak.

Carini - metallic clank, Trey leads in near 3:05, trippy vocals, charging Mike!, Trey finally sounding like he's contributing something, dis-jointed peak, ball game Page, nice consonant space emerges near 6:00, classic Fish, nice jam, Page ambient thrust near 7:50, Trey chords nicely, decent version into

Tweezer - jam breaks near 4:41, plinko Trey to start, Mike and Page go their own way, Trey has no confidence here, he's simply laying back, not putting forth ideas, Mike again takes the reins, Mike retreats back into pocket, Trey chimes in w/ slight cries, nice thematic jam spawns near 7:40, Trey sounding lost, playing the most basic lines, tease? Page raging hard underneath while Trey unleashes a long, 15 sec. sustain, more rock peak, no modulation or exploration, weak version, siren effect in outro, jam gets spacey in the final minute, liquid Mike, 3.0! into

My Friend - odd placement, into

Rock and Roll - Mike diggin in early, Trey leads in near 4:15, everyone racing along, nice sustain peak by Trey near 5:00, Page throwing down on the organ, Trey responds w/ some intenes chording before he and Page fall back into rock peak, slightly dis-jointed vibe near 6:12, Mike desperate, more Machine Gun Phish, Trey sounds horrible near 7:20, Trey tries a few bends of yester year, he wisely moves away, Trey re-enters near 8:28, R&R funk, Page thowing down, Mike sounding bad ass, ok version, the last 4 minutes are good, Jerry Trey in outro chord vamp, nice extended segue into

NICU - again accentuated by ambient thrust Page,

Bouncin' - bringing the heat!

Hood - slight plinko-esque Trey early, sounding kinda rushed, Glide tease by Trey near 6:40+, almost Peanuts vibe near 7:50, nice sustain and feedback by Trey, because Trey's technique has diminished, his soloing and ideas have diminished, again its more of a collective run for roses instead of listening,

Bug - ugh!

E

Tube - jam drops near :49, sick Page, Trey comping nicely, ripchord at 1:53,

Rocky Top - hitting the doors...

Tweezereprise - already outside.

In 3 jams, Cities, Carini and R&R did Phish step outside the box, the rest was straight ahead songs and straight ahead jams.  It seems in some ways the entire band has embraced Trey's rock peak style as heard in Gin, Tweezer and Hood.  Trey's guitar style and technique has diminished in such a way, he can barely contribute to the musical framework he produced and wrote.

rowjimmy

Quote from: mirthbeatenworker on December 29, 2011, 03:18:07 PM
ATTN: rowjimmy

your haiku skills are needed:

QuotePhish
Haiku a review/deep thoughts of Phish's 12/28/11 Madison Square Garden show and the best entries will be featured on tomorrow night's webcast! You must email your haiku to haiku@phish.com (don't post them below). Only haiku reviews will be considered!

LOL

Today was the first time I've looked at anything beyond the first post in this thread.
I certainly couldn't have reviewed it as I've still not listened to it.

by setlist alone
there's little question that i've
better things to do

RabeldyNugs

Quote from: susep on January 03, 2012, 09:33:09 PM
28Dec.2011 - MSG

I

Free - nice welcome cheer by the crowd, carries into song, interesting choice for show and run opener, patient open into 1st verse, Page nice in this mix, trippy Leslie like effect from Trey, Mike funk, Trey leads off near 5:16, blown opportunity to build off Mike's foundation Trey steers the jam linearly, what could have been an epic opener becomes standard, mediocre.  crowd loves it.

Glide - ouch, weird choice for #2, cool mini Black Sabbath breakdown, Phish returning the welcome, into

Possum - slight Wilson tease by Trey in the very beginning, another tease? Sparks?, as Aug likes to say, "choo - choo!" personally I'm Possumed out in 3.0,

Cities - another overplayed 3.0 staple however you can't deny its roots in this context, "dry ice factory...", Page and Trey sound good in the mini jam between verses, Trey leads in near 4:35, great Page, oscillating between his ivories and clav, Mike on point as usual, dreammy lines by Trey mixed w/ minor trillage, nothing mind bending per se, Trey leaning into one of his favorite plinko riffs, Mike expounds, I love how Mike takes the improvisational reins, sick Mike!, oh yeah, here it is folks, whale call Trey, nice Fishman, Page adding subtle, trippy motifs, No Quarter-esque Page, here comes the acsending 3.0 ambient thrust, good jam overall, nice.

"do it again boys, do it again!" from the crowd

Ballad - yawn

Stash - 3rd D song this set, Trey leads in at 5:00, this is his PITB, nice group interplay early, love Mike's approach early in the jam, he hooks up nicely w/ Fish, Mike responds to Trey's attempts into the Stashosphere, right there w/ him, Trey runs out of ideas near 7:39, trills himself into cover, tries psuedo Machine Gun, not happening, Page comping intently, sounds pissed, Page taking over, in this tune you can hear Trey's defficiencies,

Contact - pass the cheese please,

Sample - Trey leads in at 3:07, he handles this tune preety well, it fits well in his current carnation as a guitarist, I do notice that his bending isn't as varied or intense, muddy outro solo,

KDF - the Chalk Dust/BOAF hybrid, Mike riffs in near 3:44 beginning jam proper, clean sounding Trey, nice Page, straight ahead rock jamming, again they could have easily morphed into something cool instead Machine Gun Trey.

Gin - eclectic Page in intro, his playing has been on point this whole set, Trey leads in near 4:57 w/ main theme rifferey, Mike lurking underneath, pushing tension, Trey begins to ascend off more trilling, nice hook-up w/ Mike and Fish, Trey pulls back a little, Page comping and adding nice mini lines, emoting trillage by Trey, they continue full band ascent near 7:33, more ascension near 8:30+, what a waste of energy when they could have easily gone into something different, more rock peak, yawn, its really dis-heartning to hear them unwilling to play outside of the box, they play just like ZZ Top or Skynnard psuedo rock crescendo, even here they struggle whereas before they could inspire you w/ their set ending crescendo.

II

Birds - Trey drops/leads in near 3:12, early quotes of main theme, more straight ahead jamming/riffage, again Trey tries to trill up some excitement, trilly Trey near 5:30+, back into main theme, jam ends at 6:04, less then 3 minutes, weak.

Carini - metallic clank, Trey leads in near 3:05, trippy vocals, charging Mike!, Trey finally sounding like he's contributing something, dis-jointed peak, ball game Page, nice consonant space emerges near 6:00, classic Fish, nice jam, Page ambient thrust near 7:50, Trey chords nicely, decent version into

Tweezer - jam breaks near 4:41, plinko Trey to start, Mike and Page go their own way, Trey has no confidence here, he's simply laying back, not putting forth ideas, Mike again takes the reins, Mike retreats back into pocket, Trey chimes in w/ slight cries, nice thematic jam spawns near 7:40, Trey sounding lost, playing the most basic lines, tease? Page raging hard underneath while Trey unleashes a long, 15 sec. sustain, more rock peak, no modulation or exploration, weak version, siren effect in outro, jam gets spacey in the final minute, liquid Mike, 3.0! into

My Friend - odd placement, into

Rock and Roll - Mike diggin in early, Trey leads in near 4:15, everyone racing along, nice sustain peak by Trey near 5:00, Page throwing down on the organ, Trey responds w/ some intenes chording before he and Page fall back into rock peak, slightly dis-jointed vibe near 6:12, Mike desperate, more Machine Gun Phish, Trey sounds horrible near 7:20, Trey tries a few bends of yester year, he wisely moves away, Trey re-enters near 8:28, R&R funk, Page thowing down, Mike sounding bad ass, ok version, the last 4 minutes are good, Jerry Trey in outro chord vamp, nice extended segue into

NICU - again accentuated by ambient thrust Page,

Bouncin' - bringing the heat!

Hood - slight plinko-esque Trey early, sounding kinda rushed, Glide tease by Trey near 6:40+, almost Peanuts vibe near 7:50, nice sustain and feedback by Trey, because Trey's technique has diminished, his soloing and ideas have diminished, again its more of a collective run for roses instead of listening,

Bug - ugh!

E

Tube - jam drops near :49, sick Page, Trey comping nicely, ripchord at 1:53,

Rocky Top - hitting the doors...

Tweezereprise - already outside.

In 3 jams, Cities, Carini and R&R did Phish step outside the box, the rest was straight ahead songs and straight ahead jams.  It seems in some ways the entire band has embraced Trey's rock peak style as heard in Gin, Tweezer and Hood.  Trey's guitar style and technique has diminished in such a way, he can barely contribute to the musical framework he produced and wrote.

Great review, thanks and k+! I couldnt agree with you more on just about eveything except I was out the door after Hood...
I'm dead sober right now, but when I try to read that Gumbo post, I swear to god it feels like I am tripping face.

http://www.phishhook.com/lists/RabeldyNugs