News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Late Fall '94 West Coast

Started by anthrax, November 28, 2021, 07:06:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mopper_smurf

QuotePHISH, SATURDAY 12/03/1994
EVENT CENTER
San Jose, CA
Soundcheck: Frankenstein

SET 1: Wilson > Divided Sky, Guelah Papyrus, Scent of a Mule, Run Like an Antelope, Guyute, Sample in a Jar

SET 2: Frankenstein[1], Suzy Greenberg[1] > Buried Alive[1], Gumbo[1], Slave to the Traffic Light[1], The Landlady[1], Hold Your Head Up[1] > Touch Me[1] > Hold Your Head Up[1], Alumni Blues Jam[1] > Julius[1], Cavern[1]

ENCORE: Golgi Apparatus

[1] Cosmic Country Horns.

Suzy contained a Hey Bulldog tease from Page. The entire second set featured the Cosmic Country Horns. The horns included Dave Grippo on alto sax and percussion, Carl Gerhard on trumpet, Michael Ray on trumpet, James Harvey on trombone, and Peter Apfelbaum on baritone, tenor sax and flute. The Alumni jam included an introduction of the horn section. The appearance of the horns led to the first Touch Me since July 27, 1991 (397 shows). The soundcheck's Frankenstein also included the Cosmic Country Horns. The opening act was Dave Matthews Band.

Another horn show!  Touch Me bustout!!

And the last time they played it... :'(
Here Comes The Flood - a weblog about music
Twitter | FB | Instagram

As a roadie for the Jimi Hendrix Experience, I learned that I should give up being a guitar player. - Lemmy

anthrax

QuotePHISH, TUESDAY 12/06/1994
UCSB EVENTS CENTER, UNIVERSITY OF CALIFORNIA-SANTA BARBARA
Goleta, CA
Soundcheck: Dog Log, Halley's Comet, Funky Bitch

SET 1: Llama, Mound, Down with Disease, Fluffhead, Jesus Just Left Chicago, Sparkle, Stash, Golgi Apparatus

SET 2: The Curtain > Sample in a Jar, Also Sprach Zarathustra > Poor Heart > Mike's Song > Simple -> The Mango Song > Weekapaug Groove, Hold Your Head Up > Bike > Hold Your Head Up, I'm Blue, I'm Lonesome[1], Foreplay/Long Time[1], Run Like an Antelope

ENCORE: Back in the U.S.S.R.

[1] Acoustic.

I'm Blue I'm Lonesome and Foreplay/Long Time were performed acoustic. In the soundcheck, Dog Log was performed in a blues style and Halley's Comet was played multiple times.

i really enjoyed the Mikes...Paug sequence!

anthrax

QuotePHISH, WEDNESDAY 12/07/1994
SPRECKELS THEATRE
San Diego, CA
SET 1: Peaches en Regalia > Runaway Jim, The Sloth, Ya Mar, Split Open and Melt, Guyute, Lifeboy, Chalk Dust Torture

SET 2: Rift, Frankenstein, Divided Sky, Fee -> Julius, I'm Blue, I'm Lonesome[1], My Long Journey Home[1], Amazing Grace[2], You Enjoy Myself

ENCORE: Cavern

[1] Acoustic; without microphones.
[2] Without microphones.

Trey and Mike teased September prior to Peaches en Regalia. Runaway Jim included Gypsy Queen teases. I'm Blue I'm Lonesome was performed acoustic and, along with My Long Journey Home and Amazing Grace, was performed without microphones. Trey teased Barracuda before YEM. This version of YEM appears on A Live One.

What an amazing 2 night run to cap off an unbelievable tour.  The A Live One YEM was recorded in a beautiful old school theater in the middle of San Diego.  It was one of the smallest venues, if not the smallest venue of the entire fall.  1,343 people took in this show.  20,000 would take in the MSG show 23 days later. 

Buffalo Budd

Quote from: anthrax on December 07, 2021, 05:12:14 PM
QuotePHISH, WEDNESDAY 12/07/1994
SPRECKELS THEATRE
San Diego, CA
SET 1: Peaches en Regalia > Runaway Jim, The Sloth, Ya Mar, Split Open and Melt, Guyute, Lifeboy, Chalk Dust Torture

SET 2: Rift, Frankenstein, Divided Sky, Fee -> Julius, I'm Blue, I'm Lonesome[1], My Long Journey Home[1], Amazing Grace[2], You Enjoy Myself

ENCORE: Cavern

[2] Without microphones.

Trey and Mike teased September prior to Peaches en Regalia. Runaway Jim included Gypsy Queen teases. I'm Blue I'm Lonesome was performed acoustic and, along with My Long Journey Home and Amazing Grace, was performed without microphones. Trey teased Barracuda before YEM. This version of YEM appears on A Live One.

What an amazing 2 night run to cap off an unbelievable tour.  The A Live One YEM was recorded in a beautiful old school theater in the middle of San Diego.  It was one of the smallest venues, if not the smallest venue of the entire fall.  1,343 people took in this show.  20,000 would take in the MSG show 23 days later. 

One of the first Phish shows I had on tape.
Sofa king good.
Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

PIE-GUY

These Spreckles shows were favorites of mine back in the day. 
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

emay

QuoteThese Spreckles shows were favorites of mine back in the day.
Yeah love the Spreckles shows. Used to listen to them a lot and esp the YEM since it's on a live one. 

Went by the theater once when I was in San Diego for a festival just to check out the spot where all the greatness went down. Epic shows for sure 

GBL

early 90s shows in CA seemed to always have amazing SBDs in circulation
If this is love, I'm never going home..

anthrax

QuotePHISH, THURSDAY 12/08/1994
SPRECKELS THEATRE
San Diego, CA
SET 1: Makisupa Policeman -> Maze, AC/DC Bag > Scent of a Mule, Punch You in the Eye > Simple -> Catapult -> Simple -> The Lizards, While My Guitar Gently Weeps

SET 2: Possum, My Mind's Got a Mind of its Own, Axilla (Part II) > Reba, Nellie Kane[1], Sweet Adeline[2], David Bowie, Golgi Apparatus

ENCORE: The Horse > Silent in the Morning, Rocky Top

[2] Without microphones.

Nellie Kane, which was performed acoustic, and Sweet Adeline were performed without microphones.

anthrax

^^^ fall 94 was a great time for possums, bowies, and rebas...and all 3 were bangers in this 2nd set.  obviously the simple in the first set is nuts, too.

PIE-GUY

Hands down my favorite Catapult. 
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

anthrax

QuotePHISH, FRIDAY 12/09/1994
MESA AMPHITHEATRE
Mesa, AZ
Soundcheck: Higher Ground, Frankenstein, The Old Home Place, Funky Bitch

SET 1: Llama, Foam, Guyute, Sparkle > I Didn't Know, It's Ice, If I Could, Run Like an Antelope

SET 2: Wilson > Poor Heart > Tweezer, McGrupp and the Watchful Hosemasters > Julius > Big Ball Jam, Hold Your Head Up > Cracklin' Rosie > Hold Your Head Up, You Enjoy Myself, Suzy Greenberg

ENCORE: I'm Blue, I'm Lonesome[1], Foreplay/Long Time[1], Tweezer Reprise

[1] Acoustic.

Antelope contained a tease by Trey of May The Force Be With You (The Force Theme from Star Wars). Tweezer included a Slave-based jam. I'm Blue I'm Lonesome and Foreplay/Long Time were performed acoustic.

if you like star wars and haven't heard this antelope...do it right now! 
https://phish.in/1994-12-09

WhatstheUse?

Bring in the dude!

susep

Love the Tweezer from 12/9/94.  A pantheon version along side 11/2/94 and 11/28/94. 

anthrax

QuotePHISH, SATURDAY 12/10/1994
CIVIC AUDITORIUM
Santa Monica, CA
SET 1: Fee[1] > Rift, Stash, The Lizards, Sample in a Jar, Divided Sky, Lawn Boy > Chalk Dust Torture

SET 2: Simple, Maze, Guyute, Also Sprach Zarathustra > Mike's Song > I Am Hydrogen > Weekapaug Groove[2] -> Hold Your Head Up > Why Don't We Do It in the Road? > Hold Your Head Up, Poor Heart > Slave to the Traffic Light > Cavern

ENCORE: Chalk Dust Torture Reprise[3], Good Times Bad Times

[1] Trey sang verses through megaphone.
[2] Unfinished.
[3] Debut; crew introductions.

Trey sang the verses of Fee through a megaphone. Weekapaug was unfinished. The debut of Chalk Dust Torture Reprise included crew introductions. This version of Simple appears on A Live One. The opening act was Dave Matthews Band.