News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

10/31 - Boardwalk Hall - Atlantic City, NJ - Post-Show Discussion and Review

Started by alcoholandcoffeebeans, November 01, 2010, 01:39:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

blatboom

I was loving that Stash jam before the stream cut out, really want to hear that again.

rowjimmy

Seriously... There are so many valid points one could make to fluff or denigrate the performances... duration is the weakest.

rowjimmy

Quote from: blatboom on November 01, 2010, 09:49:54 AM
I was loving that Stash jam before the stream cut out, really want to hear that again.

I'm loving it right now. It's lovely.

Multibeast12

Dam, haven't gotten the chance to start the download and I'm stuck at class till 4  :frustrated: but can't wait to give it a listen. The only LF I have is time loves a hero and dixie chicken on. Vinyl. But I'm deffeniatley gona have to get this record next time I see it. Preferably on Vinyl. But anyway. Looking forward to this show.

sls.stormyrider

Quote from: rowjimmy on November 01, 2010, 09:51:24 AM
Seriously... There are so many valid points one could make to fluff or denigrate the performances... duration is the weakest.
thank you

DS and Stash were definitely top notch.
haven't heard set 3 yet
LF set was off the hook

They should definitely keep Spanish Moon. FDFMN would be a good one for them too.
and, I've said this before, I think the Fan would be sick.
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

VDB

WFC is among my all-time favorite records. It's also one of the first albums I can remember being aware of, a fixture in my dad's cassette collection. I've seen Feat a few times, and twice with my pops, so this pick is, for me, fairly substantial. And just this month I sent my dad some CDs of a Little Feat show and tossed some Phish in there as filler. Funny. Now I'll definitely be burning this show for him as well.

I tuned in to the stream for set two and thought it was a pretty solid effort. Not 100% perfect, but heck, what can you expect with so many first-timers. Can't wait to hear Spanish Moon and Dixie Chicken again.

I hung in there during the third set until around SITM and was mostly underwhelmed. Things picked up a bit during the moderately-jammed Wilson but just based on what I heard over the stream, I'm not sure how much revisiting this show'll get in the future.
Is this still Wombat?

aphineday

It's certainly the easiest. It might tell us something about how long the band tried to explore something, and as a rule I generally seem to dig longer jams (but don't we all?). That being said, it gives us no indication of the quality of that jam. Therefore IMHO hating based on duration is simply too easy. I know that the majority of you who may go this way will pick it apart from much deeper levels, and that's where the real discussions begin. I'm certainly not saying you're wrong, but hate based on duration is lame sauce.

Also, I'm sure that the fact that they were tackling ADDING a huge Costume set didn't help. We all remember the YEM from 10/31/95 at Rosemont, but 15 years probably slows you down some. I'm not saying they can't or even won't do it again, but it's certainly a reason.
If we could see these many waves that flow through clouds and sunken caves...

shamwow

This.
If folks are looking for long jams just for long jams with no content, well its not gonna be phish anylonger. They are playing what their playing and that's it enjoy it or move on. WSP called they are looking for new fans.
"If your gonna run up on the stage..."

sophist

Quote from: rowjimmy on November 01, 2010, 09:47:16 AM
judging songs with a stopwatch = fail
:roll:

Are you really trying to tell me you like this version of Ghost?  It fucking sucks.  I don't like it because it has nothing, and I mean NOTHING to it.  They might as well of not played it and given time to properly play something else. 
Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

sophist

Quote from: shamwow on November 01, 2010, 10:20:25 AM

This.
If folks are looking for long jams just for long jams with no content, well its not gonna be phish anylonger. They are playing what their playing and that's it enjoy it or move on. WSP called they are looking for new fans.
Playing a watered down and sloppy style of '93 isn't appealing either.  I'd much rather hear them meander through ten minutes of shit (a la 11/28/09 set II)  and find something decent than listen to them plow through sloppy versions of their songs and covers.  That's my problem.  They aren't tight enough or musically sound enough to rely on just songs, especially when the newer songs are arguably the worst in their catalog.   
Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

sls.stormyrider

not the best Ghost - ok. didn't think it fuckin sucked, but that's opinioin

Listent to DS and Stash.
One song doesn't make or break a show.

I liked what I heard.
that said, when I'm done with this show I'm gonna break out the Lowell era LF catalogue
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

GBL

If this is love, I'm never going home..

rowjimmy

Quote from: sophist on November 01, 2010, 10:20:27 AM

Are you really trying to tell me you like this version of Ghost?  It fucking sucks.  I don't like it because it has nothing, and I mean NOTHING to it.  They might as well of not played it and given time to properly play something else.

Not at all.

I'm trying to tell you that talking about the duration is lazy. If the music sucks, say that. Maybe say why.

This post also goes out to all of the people who bitch about Tubes that aren't extended.

Judge the song based on what it is, not on what it isn't.

VA $l!m

-I'm still walkin', so i'm sure that I can dance-

sophist

Quote from: rowjimmy on November 01, 2010, 10:35:27 AM
Quote from: sophist on November 01, 2010, 10:20:27 AM

Not at all.

I'm trying to tell you that talking about the duration is lazy. If the music sucks, say that. Maybe say why.

This post also goes out to all of the people who bitch about Tubes that aren't extended.

Judge the song based on what it is, not on what it isn't.
The song isn't what's it's suppose to be though, I don't get how y'all aren't seeing that.  Tube is one thing, but with the case of Ghost, it was written with the intent to improvise.  Playing an almost album version of it goes against the grain of it in my opinion.  It's not acceptable.  Sorry.  I see the same thing with a lot of the versions of songs they play now.  I have a beef with a 4 minute tube because it's sloppy and rushed every time they have played it since they came back.  They don't even really funk it out right, and I think stretching it out would give them more time to get comfortable and find a good groove within the jam structure of the tune.  I also think it would allow them to challenge themselves more.   There are no signs of anyone being challenged on stage right now.  It's just running through the motions, and the truth is all in the numbers.  The fact that night in and night out most songs clock in under 10 minutes tell me and all of you what we already know- they have no desire to jam, or any desire to explore new styles of playing, or to really put forth that much effort into being Phish.  No one loses their shit over jams anymore, it's all about the gimmicks.  That alone will never hold my attention.  It's why the times do matter to me.  I want to see that a risk is involved.  Shorter tunes = no musical risk in 3.0 Phish.  If this was 93, I could believe that a 9 minute Gin could a lot of places in a short duration, but it's not.  It's 2010, and we all know this is a band that is going to have the same rock peak for each song mixed in with the same fade to almost silent ambient jams.  This is why time matters, it shows me that the band is willingly ready to finally play without a net.