News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

week4paug.net server questions

Started by jedifunk, December 15, 2004, 11:07:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jedifunk

matt/guy/server team dudes;

hey just a couple of questions for ya about the week4paug.net server.  
-how much space (HD) do you get?
-how much throughput (up & down -although I assume you only use it for seeding)
-whats the monthly/yearly cost?

curious, since i've been seeding quite a bit lately, and its killing the rest of my interent capabilities.  pretty much can't do anything else accept for torrent (sometimes i have to stop torrenting to check my email & surf).  either that or limit my torrenting to one show at a time.  

maybe i don't have my system/connection setup for optimal use, but having a server to host shows from seems like a great idea.  any input on this would be appreciated.  thanks.
Much Respect
(the other resident mac guy) [macbook air]
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

mattstick

Allen can answer the specifics about bandwidth/server space/cost...

I love being able to seed lots of stuff at great speeds and have my home-PC free of the BT burden.  I also upload stuff right to the server right from CD-R or DVD-R so my HD is clear of the files too...

jedifunk

guyforget

wondering if you had any input or could answer these questions.  my girlfriend is starting to get real pissed that she can surf the web while i'm torrenting.  don't know how much longer she'll stay patient.  any help here is appreciated.
Much Respect
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

guyforget

Heh; happens to the best of us.   :lol:  :wink:

We work on a shared server plan of sorts.  A group of us pays for it and uses it for whatever we need.  Some folks are more visible than others, but theyre all doing something, it just might not be torrenting phish shows to bt.etree.  Its only really feasible costwise because there we can divvy up the costs.  I could not lease a server similar to ours on my own and justify spending the $$.  

We only pay for outgoing transfer, not incoming.  Any server plan you look at should be the same.  Here are some links of servers I have used or considered when hunting for ours.  

Valueweb is probably the cheapest you'll find, their servers are realiable, their IRC policies are sketchy.
http://valueweb.com/dedicated/dedicated-hosting.htm

Netsonic is reliable and has a nice selection
http://www.netsonic.net/dedicated.php
-AD_

jedifunk

Thanks for the info.  I guess thats not gonna work out.  Quite a bit of money.  Plus it doesnt really solve the DLing issue.  If I'm still DLing, I'm still hogging my home bandwidth.  Unless its possible to DL to the server.

In any case, thanks.
Much Respect
- Trey Anastasio

mattstick

We download shows via Bit Torrent onto the server, then just grab them by FTP...

jedifunk

No shit huh. :o

Well, I'm gonna have to look into this dedicated server business a little more.  I freelance graphic/web design so I know about web hosting and the like, but never had to look into dedicated servers before.  Very interesting.

FWIW, for anyone else out there reading this, who is serious about contributing to the community and this site, if your interested in something like this let me know.  If we get enough peeps together, we could get a server for a year and a decent price per person, and save all of our significant others and such some headaches.

Let me know.  Thanks for the info.
Much Respect
- Trey Anastasio