News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

R1/W03: 07-10-1997 Espace Julien, Marseille, France

Started by August, May 29, 2006, 12:14:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

August

here is my pick and let me say that it is nothing like the last two.
this show starts off super solid and turns disgusting (in a good way) from the bathtub gin on.
this show was the last two set show off the summer euro tour in another tiny venue.
this is a must have show for me and hopefully it will be one of yours as well!
enjoy!

here are the compressed sets...
set one

http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=E2A210C85B6CFAFC

set two

http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=D6125D6C38FB6BDA

and the torrent on etree

http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=25169

i am on this, so dont worry about being stranded.
also, i joined all the "sick funk jams" on the compressed files.
thats kind of annoying.

a

fauxpaxfauxreal

What happened to picking a show that would have me and Jedifunk coming to blows?

August

Quote from: fauxpaxfauxreal on May 29, 2006, 12:17:59 AM
What happened to picking a show that would have me and Jedifunk coming to blows?

this is it.
a

fauxpaxfauxreal

Quote from: august on May 29, 2006, 12:18:25 AM
Quote from: fauxpaxfauxreal on May 29, 2006, 12:17:59 AM

this is it.
a

He's not going to like this show?

August

i am not sure.
maybe you guys will agree and that will just fuck everything up.
a

jedifunk

Much Respect
(the other resident mac guy) [macbook air]
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

fauxpaxfauxreal

MUHAHAHAHA.  MY REVENGE ON AUGUST IS ALMOST COMPLETE!   :samurai:  (AUG IS THE ONE BEING SLICED OPEN BY MINE AND JEDI'S AGREEMENT).

jedifunk

ok well here goes...

1st set... well, 1st off this isnt my favorite kind of funk, a little too slow & bluesy for my tastes (but i still love it!)... as far as improve goes, this set has IT!  the "f" jams were everywhere...

starts standard with dog stole, limb, ginseng... the the Gin opens up to interpretation, going very far away from gin, and funking it up, and then coming back!

llama->funk... more of the same slow deep, stinky funk...
funk->lizards jam... interesting morph, very smooth, and i dig, even if lizards aint my fav song.

2nd set... not nearly as good as the 1st set, but just as much fun!

2001 was super deep, and just the right time length... enough time to get the funk in and get out!

magilla>yamar->jam>ghost>to the river... i enjoyed the jam out of yamar.  nice & loose, and they were obviously having a great time! the ghost->river however, IMO, was fairly lacking.  i didnt find this ghost nearly as engaging as most 1997 ghosts, and the river jam wasnt much more than a jam with lyrics over the top...  which is fine.

funky bitch is very tight and a great fun way to finish up the show...

conclusion?  well, IMO, not the best example of the euro 97... but a great show nontheless... i prefer the more exploratory shows of amsterdam...

highlights?  Bathtub Gin is sick... the funk is deep, and page is in full effect with all his toys.

i'd give it a B+/A-...
Much Respect
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

VA $l!m

this is the 1st week i'm on the bandwagon...
partially b/c i already have this show in my collection= i'm lazy. :-D

just finished up the llama funk...... i'll comment when i finish the whole show-- thanks for the pick!
-I'm still walkin', so i'm sure that I can dance-

August

Quote from: VA slim on May 29, 2006, 03:01:27 PM
this is the 1st week i'm on the bandwagon...
partially b/c i already have this show in my collection= i'm lazy. :-D

just finished up the llama funk...... i'll comment when i finish the whole show-- thanks for the pick!

nice to have you,slim!
there are always the mp3's for each show if you dont have the discs.
unless you are too lazy to click on those!  :wink:
sometimes it takes almost 3 minutes to get it!
a

jedifunk

:-o   three minutes!  sounds like you need to get "high speed" interweb!
Much Respect
- Trey Anastasio

August

i get my mp3's by horseback.

nneeeeiiiiighhhhh.
a

jedifunk

pony express?  yeah i heard fedex is looking at a hostile takeover...
Much Respect
- Trey Anastasio

fauxpaxfauxreal

Here we go...I'm in the midst of the first set...and I figured I'd give my thoughts on the show.  Like so many summer 97 shows, it opens with a medley of new tunes (2 of them). 

First up is Dog Stole Things- you can tell they're in a small club.  It has that intimate sound.  I like this song a lot, and was sad when it dissapeared forever in 98.  I always loved how fish would drop the Dogs Stole Things beat, and everyone would exclaim "yesssss mound!"  and then you would hear the collective groan when the guitar line came in.  Loose, club version of a tune I like.

Limb by Limb follows it up.  Trey tries really hard on his singing at the beginning.  He is soooo soulful!  And it's immediately obvious when Fish comes in for his harmony that Fish had had extensive vocal lessons/rehearsals.  Compare this to the Fog that Surrounds that we heard last week...and there is an incredible differance.  You can't even tell that Fish had at one point been a horrible singer, he actually hits the right notes and is in the right key.  Limb always sounds too much like Taste to me, but this jam section is incredible.  I know some of you are huge Limb fans...but I don't like many versions, and I like this version.  "Trampled by lambs and pecked by the dove".  Indeed.

Ginseng Sullivan is up next, and this is my favorite Phish doing bluegrass song. (And Two Dollar Bill And Uncle Penn).   :banana: :banana: :banana: My muddy water mississippi delta home!  Such a great tune.  Not the greatest version....but it works.

And then comes the Bathtub Gin..first true old school phish song of the night.  The opening is great and not tooooo heavy like some later versions (I think page went too far after a while and became too aggressive and oppressive during the beginning...)  but this one is light and fun. Trey jumps in too soon on a lyric line and page quickly pushes him back down, I would have loved to see that.  The opening doesn't sound like Trey is listening to page very well at all.  The faucet lick comes and you can tell that this Gin is going to be slow and drippy...a little tooooo slow (imo) (but then again my favorite Gin is probably The Real Gin and that is a FAST gin.)  I love the vocal lines-->the jam opening.  This is a great gin going into the Gin.  It plods along like only a Gin can.  Trey breaks out the leslie like he was prone to do summer 97.  And Fish is going great guns.  Trey fires off a rock star lick as Fish RAT-A-TAT-TATS on the drums.  And then Trey winds down into a trippy dissolution of the rock star style.  And he sustains the low notes to signify the jam is in full effect....RAT-A-TAT-TAT!  Great interplay!  Boom...boom....booom.  START ROCK STAR....dissolving down down down rat-a-tat-tat!  Going again!  The jam starts off sooooo smoking!  Page hammering away in the background!  And then...it gets spacy....Page on the moog.  Trey still wailing!  Trey playing rhythm.  Fish pounding out the beat.  Mike looming in the shadows.  Yes, Trey lets go with a sweet ass blues lick!  Trey is playing some dirty ass rhythm and blues.  Then Mike takes over.  Trey is playing what sounds like "The-Bathtub-Gin" in a deep bass sound.  The jam quiets down, like the jam is prone to do and you can tell the band will either explode with a theme or dissolve into bathtub gin.  Fish is keeping the beat going...so thats a good thing...it's an 11 minute gin already.  And then out comes the delay loop.  The Moog is on.  Mike is letting some notes fly.  Then out flies the wah.  Trey is on the wah.  What will come next?  Will a nasty theme develop?  Mike is accenting perfectly...what's coming next?  Delay still flying in the background.  And you can tell it's going to be a dance party.  A soft silent and quiet dance party is emerging.  Fish has to be fighting hard not to pound it out.  Great Trey-Page interplay.  Page is on the Clav now.  His clav lines running counter to Trey's guitar lines.  And Trey hollers something out unintelligibly.  Trey goes back to rhythm wah...signifying a start-stop and starts yelling "woah" on the downbeat.  Start-Stop in full effect.  It's at this point that I start to get bored with the funk.  It's fun to dance to but not too engaging...this is full on Ghost like mode.  Fun to dance to.  But, I much preferred the hard engaging style of the beginning of the Ghost.  This is fun, but not too meaty...a Bathtub Gin lick brings the crowd to its feet....but they don't up the intensity too much...this is still light.  I do like the jam a lot more with the Bathtub Gin licks coming out.  All in all a fun Gin.  This is the summer 97 style in a nutshell.  Trey on wah.  Page on Clav.  The mad magician Mike on deep bass.  And our own Character Zero slappin the skins.

LLama is up next, and this one is extended further too.  I like the dark edge this gets.  More clav/moog from Page.  More wah guitar from trey!  There's a section where the song sounds like its crying sadly and passionately and I like that part.  And then some weird keyboard fart noises.  Which are cool.  This would have been a fun LLama to see live.  This is deep space llama for only the first set.  I like it...but it isn't profound.  Page is making a lot of lazerbeam sounds which I think worked a lot better during the 6/25/97 McGrupp (which is a much better show btw, in case you all were wondering :samurai:).  And then the jam spaces out....

Into Velvet Sea.  This is great placement for the tune.  They placed the tune VERY WELL summer 97.  It works very well after dark and psychedelic jams.  After the 30 minutes of Gin/Llama this is a good place for it.  Sounds great.  Good tune.  I dig it...everyone else will give it a  :banana: probably....but I like it.

What starts up next is very odd.  It sounds like it's a new song with a reggaeish beat...AGAIN TREY ON WAH.  Why didn't anyone note that summer how much Wah trey was using.  Summer 97 Trey used his wah and page used his clav more than they EVER HAD BEFORE.  And I don't remember reading that they used those two things so much before going on summer 97 tour...and THAT IS LIKE THE TRADEMARK of that summer.  This starting jam sounds like the type of funk employed during the INCREDIBLE segue from DWD-->Mike's from 7/22/97...and I like this kind of funk a lot.  Really this sounds like it would fit right at home in a DWD or a Tweezer from summer 97.  Trey teases a tune at 3:55-4:05 does anyone know what he's playing?  It sounds like the return in Dogs Stole Things but differant....it's definitely a tease of some type.  Then at 5:03 he lets off an almost tease from The Saints Go Marching In.  And then at 5:33 he unleashes the Lizards.  And it's apparant from the second he launches in that it's the Lizards.  A great tease...ending to this jam.   I like the Lizards ending a lot so this is a cool coda to launch into.  And then Olivia's Pool to close...which is a fun song. 

All and all that was a fun ass first set.  How someone can love this show so much, and not love the Lille, France show is beyond me, since they are so obviously similar (except that the Lille, France show is more "cohesive" and flows better imo).  Same vibe, same sound, everything about them is similar.

A great show, I think the jams ran on a little too long in the funk vein....but a great first set nonetheless.  And the first 5-7 minutes of the Gin jam and the Lizards jam are AMAZING.  Great stuff.  I'll post later about the second set.

susep

Gin>subtle loop w/ Trey heavy on the wha, Page playing along nicely>tempo increases slightly, band opening up a bit while staying tight into vocal jam alternate funk series.  Page exclaiming "yeah"!  Saints tease(the jam out of Cities>Saints from 1July is great Summer '97)>Gin theme jammed, Page responding>continues...

Llama>faster tempo funk(better then Gin right off imo), Page Jerry Harrison descending keys>deflating sound while the funk bed underneath rises>Trey multi-chording w/ Boomerang, more techno Page.  Jam evolves nicely before a dissident Trey tries several times to return>jam fades in an active pulse>N02esque>

Sea>interestingly Trey's loop remains quietly active.

OP>nice way to end the set, Trey playing some compassionate leads>
"get some air" or puff a few?

2001>set opener somewhat rare in the funk era, the air helped>tight funk>subtle horn sounds/effect by Page.  Audience estatic>Trey chording very hungerly like he's out to prove his band's new direction>JB riff(Get On the Good Foot)>theme>outro chaos w/ brief Star Spangled Banner quote.

Caesar>somewhat extended version(11+) for a mostly linear jam>smoking blues pH a definite cousin of you know who?

Ghost>fast tempo(like the majority of new tunes played by most bands)>Mike brief low end scat>nice sounding funk in contrast(mostly in key although this one is in A same as Llama whereas both Gin and Sprach are in C)>upstroking Trey funks along, patience building sounding very collective>Fish rocking the ride setting up a nice tempo>rock riff w/ trippy Page>decanting into a blues theme>the blueprint fusing their funk sound w/ THeads/Green>cool riffs by Trey, soloing melodically back into I-IV>jam.

I know Trey solos compassionately w/ horns but no solos by Anastasio in FB>cool they got to play w/ a band they covered.

Conclusion:

I really like this show.  At first I wasn't terribly impressed by A's choice in that it didn't seem as obscure as the first two however I do believe that it deserves review.  This was their second to last show before the end of a 19 show run, the music a culmination of their tourly efforts.  The energy of this show is amazing as Aug stated>good choice.

Grade: A-