News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

08/10 - Town Park - Telluride, CO - Post-Show Discussion and Review

Started by redrum, August 11, 2010, 12:58:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mistercharlie

A whole lot of songs that I wanted to hear at Deer Creek were played last night.

Set II looks great, can't wait to hear this.

Oh, and Stealing Time is my favorite Joy song.
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

rowjimmy

mistercharlie

"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

Buffalo Budd

Quote from: rowjimmy on August 11, 2010, 08:36:33 AM

I'd say your math is wrong but you're entitled to to dislike good songs if you want.
I'll have to go with RJ on this one.  I guess Mar and I just disagree on some of Phish's material.
One man's trash is another man's treasure.
Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

sophist

Quote from: rowjimmy on August 11, 2010, 08:32:09 AM
I think we all know that what a set looks like on paper has little bearing to how it sounds (unless the letters are sequenced thusly: TTE.)
I'm looking at the song selection though, it's weaksauce.  For all the trouble people were put through to get to telluride, they drop a let me lie on them?  Come on, we all know that's weak as shit.  Where's the Icculus, the Curtain (With)?  For pitching such a fit about getting their way for these shows, the band didn't deliver with song choice.  The town had to vote to approve them, and they play what could of been just another night at some outdoor shed.  So many repeats from the Greek too, it's weak.  A one show gap for # line?  That's laughable to me.  Two shows for Stealing time.  Again, laughable.  The west coast got the shaft with song selection, and that's not cool.  If you're not going to jam, at least mix up the setlist for those that did the run.   This is the same band that started leg one with four shows without a repeat: 6/11, 6/12, 6/13, 6/15, and they repeat 4 songs on 6/17.  Then at the end of the tour, the Camden and MPP repeats didn't surface until Alpharetta.  Meaning it was a 5 show rotation.   Look at the breakdown of repeats each night from the Greek: 

night I repeats- 6 (DWD, Ocelot, Possum, # Line, Tweezer, Tweezprise)
night II repeats- 6 (STFTFP, Div'd Sky, Antelope, Mike's Song, Weekapaug Groove, YEM)

Going into this, there were many things they could of done to make them truly epic and timeless shows, but they didn't from a song selection stand point.  That's my problem.  I'm sure they played the songs well, but that's pretty easy to do when you are playing the same material every 2-3 shows. 

Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

mehead

Quote from: sophist on August 11, 2010, 09:05:25 AM
I think we all know that what a set looks like on paper has little bearing to how it sounds (unless the letters are sequenced thusly: TTE.)
I'm looking at the song selection though, it's weaksauce.  For all the trouble people were put through to get to telluride, they drop a let me lie on them?  Come on, we all know that's weak as shit.  Where's the Icculus, the Curtain (With)?  For pitching such a fit about getting their way for these shows, the band didn't deliver with song choice.  The town had to vote to approve them, and they play what could of been just another night at some outdoor shed.  So many repeats from the Greek too, it's weak.  A one show gap for # line?  That's laughable to me.  Two shows for Stealing time.  Again, laughable.  The west coast got the shaft with song selection, and that's not cool.  If you're not going to jam, at least mix up the setlist for those that did the run.   This is the same band that started leg one with four shows without a repeat: 6/11, 6/12, 6/13, 6/15, and they repeat 4 songs on 6/17.  Then at the end of the tour, the Camden and MPP repeats didn't surface until Alpharetta.  Meaning it was a 5 show rotation.   Look at the breakdown of repeats each night from the Greek: 

night II repeats- 6 (STFTFP, Div'd Sky, Antelope, Mike's Song, Weekapaug Groove, YEM)

Going into this, there were many things they could of done to make them truly epic and timeless shows, but they didn't from a song selection stand point.  That's my problem.  I'm sure they played the songs well, but that's pretty easy to do when you are playing the same material every 2-3 shows.

I see your point but if you're not used to repeats by now from 3.0 then, well, I don't know..repeats - Possum, DS, DWD, Tweezer, etc...I'm not about to count the gap between each of those performances but we have heard our share of each for quite some time...and at this point it's obvious that the venue alone doesn't mean shit..sorry, but if I went to Telluride and over 2 nights I got a YEM, Tweezer (even though it was only 6 min), Antelope, DWD, Mike's Groove, and everything else they played I would be happy..
His eyes were clean and pure but his mind was so deranged

rowjimmy

Drop the gap charts and listen to the music.

Stats mean nothing is the shit is rockin'.

sophist

Quote from: mehead on August 11, 2010, 09:18:02 AM

I see your point but if you're not used to repeats by now from 3.0 then, well, I don't know..repeats - Possum, DS, DWD, Tweezer, etc...I'm not about to count the gap between each of those performances but we have heard our share of each for quite some time...and at this point it's obvious that the venue alone doesn't mean shit..sorry, but if I went to Telluride and over 2 nights I got a YEM, Tweezer (even though it was only 6 min), Antelope, DWD, Mike's Groove, and everything else they played I would be happy..
That's all you man.  I'm content hearing those one time a tour.  Part of what makes Phish, Phish is the element of surprise, and this complacency with repeats doesn't do it for me.  I think the playing from the Greek is better than most of leg I, but I'd take the song rotation of Chicago -> Hartford over Greek -> Tride.   
Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

mehead

Quote from: rowjimmy on August 11, 2010, 09:23:36 AM

exactly...when I was touring back in the '90's, trust me, I saw my share of repeats...they could play Antelope every night and I would be psyched

mehead

Quote from: sophist on August 11, 2010, 09:25:51 AM

That's all you man.  I'm content hearing those one time a tour.  Part of what makes Phish, Phish is the element of surprise, and this complacency with repeats doesn't do it for me.  I think the playing from the Greek is better than most of leg I, but I'd take the song rotation of Chicago -> Hartford over Greek -> Tride.

Chicago - 1 show
Greek - 3 shows

willsteele

...and at this point it's obvious that the venue alone doesn't mean shit..sorry, but if I went to Telluride and over 2 nights I got a YEM, Tweezer (even though it was only 6 min), Antelope, DWD, Mike's Groove, and everything else they played I would be happy..

For real.
I'm the one who's gonna have to die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way I want to.

sophist

Quote from: mehead on August 11, 2010, 09:26:18 AM

exactly...when I was touring back in the '90's, trust me, I saw my share of repeats...they could play Antelope every night and I would be psyched
Are you really trying to tell me that you think how they play Antelope now even compares?  Come on dude, you coming across as a huge apologist to me with this argument.   It's not even close, especially on tape.  They're going to play crap, it's part of the game, and this "every show rocks" mentality is silly.  It's okay to point out that they didn't deliver on what was suppose to be some epic shows.  I'd say the same of what I saw with the third and fourth. 

Then why even play different sets anymore?  If the focus is to rock, why not just play the same show? 
Quote from: mehead on August 11, 2010, 09:27:19 AM

Chicago - 1 show
Greek - 3 shows
major fail dude.  I pointed out a run of leg one, not one show.  Making your point here moot. 

Igbo

Can i get an Amen!?

Buffalo Budd

I guess there's always WSP tour bud.
Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

willsteele

Quote from: sophist on August 11, 2010, 09:36:47 AM
It's okay to point out that they didn't deliver on what was suppose to be some epic shows. 

But who said they were going to be epic?  Phish?  Venue alone does not an epic show make.. er...  I think history has proven that.
I'm the one who's gonna have to die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way I want to.