News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

12, 13, 20 years ago we were .....

Started by lifeboy13, July 23, 2011, 10:36:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VA $l!m

loved 4-4 and 4-5 jsut as much as the nassau shows. i know i posted this somewhere here before... i  forget now, but one of those shows was the toughest ticket i ever ran across for phish on lot. they were upwards of $100 a pop if you could find them which was highway robbery back then. god i need to search some of my stories on these forums about shows i saw, lol, i cant remember as many details as i did 5-10 yrs ago. i remember they had magic hat on tap tho. that i remember.  :beers:
-I'm still walkin', so i'm sure that I can dance-

PIE-GUY

I was not there... and I honestly don't know anyone who was there... but 20 years ago tonight marked the beginning of a whole new world for Trey.

I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

jam>

Quote from: PIE-GUY on April 17, 2018, 11:42:18 AM
I was not there... and I honestly don't know anyone who was there... but 20 years ago tonight marked the beginning of a whole new world for Trey.

Very cool. I'd never seen that before.

Cool version of that tune. Damn the guitar work is coming from a guy clearly on top of his game.

jam>

PHISH, SATURDAY 05/08/1993
FIELD HOUSE, UNIVERSITY OF NEW HAMPSHIRE
Durham, NH

Soundcheck: Crossroads, Shaggy Dog, Funky Bitch

SET 1: Chalk Dust Torture, Guelah Papyrus, Rift, Mound, Stash -> Kung -> Stash, Glide, My Friend, My Friend[1] > Reba, Satin Doll > Cavern

SET 2: David Bowie[2] -> Jessica Jam -> David Bowie[3] -> Have Mercy -> David Bowie, The Horse[4] > Silent in the Morning > It's Ice > The Squirming Coil -> Jam -> Big Ball Jam > Mike's Song -> Crossroads[5] -> Mike's Song > I Am Hydrogen > Weekapaug Groove[6], Amazing Grace > Amazing Grace Jam

ENCORE: AC/DC Bag

[1] Beginning featured Trey on acoustic guitar.
[2] Simpsons signal.
[3] Random Note, Will the Circle Be Unbroken?, Get Back signals.
[4] Trey on acoustic guitar.
[5] Phish debut.
[6] Unfinished.

The beginning of My Friend and all of The Horse featured Trey on acoustic guitar. The intro to Bowie included Simpsons, Random Note, Will the Circle Be Unbroken?, and Get Back signals and an Amazing Grace tease from Mike. The breakdown in It's Ice included a tease of one of the guitar lines from Discipline (King Crimson) and a Manteca tease. Crossroads made its Phish debut at this show. Weekapaug contained an Amazing Grace tease from Page and was unfinished. The Amazing Grace Jam was played to a Weekapaug-esque drumbeat.

ytowndan

^^^

That's today's soundtrack for the car!  Needless to say, that second set is dope, but the whole show is simply stellar.  Happy 25th!   :beers:
Quote from: nab on July 27, 2007, 12:20:24 AM
You never drink alone when you have something good to listen to.

mehead

A day late but 25 yrs ago yesterday, my 1st show.....

FRIDAY 05/07/1993 
BANGOR AUDITORIUM
Bangor, ME   

SET 1: Buried Alive > Poor Heart > Split Open and Melt, Sparkle > Caravan, The Lizards, Horn, Divided Sky, I Didn't Know[1], Run Like an Antelope   

SET 2: Rift, Bouncing Around the Room, Maze, Fee[2] > Big Ball Jam, You Enjoy Myself > The Great Gig in the Sky, Harry Hood, Harpua[3], Highway to Hell   

ENCORE: Amazing Grace, Golgi Apparatus   

[1] Fish on Madonna washboard.
[2] Trey sang verses through megaphone.
[3] Narration about "Ravishing" Rick Rude.

Caravan contained a tease of Manteca (for about 13 seconds). I Didn't Know featured Fish on the Madonna washboard. Trey sang the verses of Fee through a megaphone. YEM included Mission: Impossible teases and a Yield Not to Temptation jam. The YEM vocal jam was based on the Bonanza theme. Harpua's narration focused on the story of pro wrestler "Ravishing" Rick Rude and a tease of Crossroads, which would make its Phish debut the following day.
His eyes were clean and pure but his mind was so deranged

jam>

Quote from: mehead on May 08, 2018, 12:54:00 PM

FRIDAY 05/07/1993 
BANGOR AUDITORIUM
Bangor, ME   

That's a hell of a first show! I remember being at UNH and being jealous of my friends who attended that one. Then I got my face melted off.

birdman

Quote from: jam> on May 08, 2018, 12:21:30 PM
PHISH, SATURDAY 05/08/1993
FIELD HOUSE, UNIVERSITY OF NEW HAMPSHIRE
Durham, NH

Soundcheck: Crossroads, Shaggy Dog, Funky Bitch

SET 1: Chalk Dust Torture, Guelah Papyrus, Rift, Mound, Stash -> Kung -> Stash, Glide, My Friend, My Friend[1] > Reba, Satin Doll > Cavern

SET 2: David Bowie[2] -> Jessica Jam -> David Bowie[3] -> Have Mercy -> David Bowie, The Horse[4] > Silent in the Morning > It's Ice > The Squirming Coil -> Jam -> Big Ball Jam > Mike's Song -> Crossroads[5] -> Mike's Song > I Am Hydrogen > Weekapaug Groove[6], Amazing Grace > Amazing Grace Jam

ENCORE: AC/DC Bag

[1] Beginning featured Trey on acoustic guitar.
[2] Simpsons signal.
[3] Random Note, Will the Circle Be Unbroken?, Get Back signals.
[4] Trey on acoustic guitar.
[5] Phish debut.
[6] Unfinished.

The beginning of My Friend and all of The Horse featured Trey on acoustic guitar. The intro to Bowie included Simpsons, Random Note, Will the Circle Be Unbroken?, and Get Back signals and an Amazing Grace tease from Mike. The breakdown in It's Ice included a tease of one of the guitar lines from Discipline (King Crimson) and a Manteca tease. Crossroads made its Phish debut at this show. Weekapaug contained an Amazing Grace tease from Page and was unfinished. The Amazing Grace Jam was played to a Weekapaug-esque drumbeat.
my 2nd show. My sister was a sophomore ore at UNH, so this was a no brainer. This was during the time I was really getting into the band. This night just accelerated my intake of all things phish.
Can't believe it's been 25 years
Paug FTMFW!

susep

FRIDAY 05/07/1993 
BANGOR AUDITORIUM
Bangor, ME   

SET 1: Buried Alive > Poor Heart > Split Open and Melt, Sparkle > Caravan, The Lizards, Horn, Divided Sky, I Didn't Know[1], Run Like an Antelope   

SET 2: Rift, Bouncing Around the Room, Maze, Fee[2] > Big Ball Jam, You Enjoy Myself > The Great Gig in the Sky, Harry Hood, Harpua[3], Highway to Hell   

Caravan contained a tease of Manteca (for about 13 seconds). I Didn't Know featured Fish on the Madonna washboard. Trey sang the verses of Fee through a megaphone. YEM included Mission: Impossible teases and a Yield Not to Temptation jam. The YEM vocal jam was based on the Bonanza theme. Harpua's narration focused on the story of pro wrestler "Ravishing" Rick Rude and a tease of Crossroads, which would make its Phish debut the following day.

Killer set list.  Easily my favorite version of Caravan. 

Caravan2001

Quote from: susep on May 08, 2018, 07:49:51 PM

FRIDAY 05/07/1993 
BANGOR AUDITORIUM
Bangor, ME   

Killer set list.  Easily my favorite version of Caravan.

Just listened to that.  Really good one, maybe the best I have heard.  Wish they would bring that back.  It would be a sweet show opener.

anthrax

18 years!!  giving this one a rip right now...oh man...

PHISH, TUESDAY 07/11/2000
DEER CREEK MUSIC CENTER
Noblesville, IN
SET 1: Ya Mar, The Moma Dance, Uncle Pen, Drowned, Chalk Dust Torture Reprise > Chalk Dust Torture, Theme From the Bottom > Cavern

SET 2: Also Sprach Zarathustra > Down with Disease -> Moby Dick > Down with Disease > Runaway Jim -> Moby Dick, Back on the Train -> Moby Dick > Back on the Train, Harry Hood > Moby Dick, Hold Your Head Up > Terrapin > Hold Your Head Up > Moby Dick[1] > Hold Your Head Up, Character Zero

ENCORE: First Tube > Moby Dick > Chalk Dust Torture Reprise

[1] Trey on drums and Fish on vacuum.
In keeping with the theme of the second set, Hood included a Moby Dick tease. Trey introduced Fish as "Russell Crowe" during Terrapin. The Moby Dick inside of the HYHU jam featured Trey on drums and Fish on vacuum. The Chalk Dust Reprise was akin to the version last played on December 10, 1994 (391 shows), with the band singing the words "Chalk Dust Torture" over varied music. At the end of the encore, Trey joked that, if anyone missed anything, they should read the book or see the movie. Prior to this show, Moby Dick had not been played since November 29, 1997 (172 shows).

mistercharlie

Still one of the all time best times I've had at a Phish show! I LOVED every minute of that show. The CDT Reprise and the Dick's, oh man all the Dicks!  :wtu:
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

PIE-GUY

Oh yeah. Today marks 26 years from my first show. Noobs!
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

Caravan2001

Quote from: PIE-GUY on July 11, 2018, 10:49:20 PM
Oh yeah. Today marks 26 years from my first show. Noobs!

Nice!

Also, yeah, the Moby Dick show was SO fun.  One of the best.

anthrax

i remember that chalkdust prelude was in my head for days after that.  until today, i didn't realize they had done it another time before...end of fall tour '94.