News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

A history of digital sound (16 bit wav to 24 bit flac) for noobs and others.

Started by Superfreakie, June 25, 2010, 04:50:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kellerb

Quote from: mopper_smurf on July 01, 2010, 10:20:12 AM

Niches are nice. With a good sound system, that is.

I pull down MP3s for a quick taste and if I like it, I'll go for lossless.

That's the other trick - if more systems/soundcards/pmps/etc played 24-bit audio out of the box, more people would get the chance to hear [some of] the improvement without investing in a better-than-normal system. 

Multibeast12

I can't really hear the difference. But prolly because i don't have that good of a playback system

Superfreakie

Quote from: Multibeast12 on July 01, 2010, 05:27:21 PM
I can't really hear the difference. But prolly because i don't have that good of a playback system

I wouldn't worry about that, most people can't hear the difference. But as you have correctly pointed out, this is more often than not directly attributable to a lower quality playback system. But also keep in mind that listening to music is a learned process as well. You do get better at it. I listen much better now than I did 20 years ago.
Que te vaya bien, que te vaya bien, Te quiero más que las palabras pueden decir.

ph92

yeah im an audiophile with some nice headphones, and a okay amp. also the DAC on my motherboard is so-so (i am building a new amp and DAC) so i can ususally tell the difference, but sometimes i cant it really depends on the tune/copy etc.

but once i have this new setup (even building the cables and powersupplies  :crazy: ) i should be able to hear things i was missing all along ... if not i just wasted all that money  :frustrated:

Quote from: whyweigh4.5 on June 27, 2010, 09:52:48 AM
I try to tell my friends about the advantages of lossless to lossy but they either just don't understand or they don't care.  They are content with their mp3s and who am I to tell them they are wrong if that is what they like.

I just know with the right FLACS and the right sound system I could change their ways forever.  But then I would just end up downloading everything for them because I hate explaining BT to people

i hate trying to explain that, i popped open my ipod like a half year ago and bypassed the internal amplifier, so then i had to create a special cable that comes out of the dock and turns into a 3.5mm mini headphone plug, i also rockboxed it so i could play flacs/shns and i strapped a small portable amp to my ipod so its all together in one brick, one day i tried to explain to this one kid why i did it and what it was. he just goes... "thats stupid, mp3s are better"

oh well, i guess ignorance... means your missing out on all sorts of things you didnt hear before  :-D

also the most truthful thread i have ever seen (tee hee)

speaking of said DAC, here is mine so far -> Gamma 2 DAC

Make America Melt Again!

Quote from: runawayjimbo on July 25, 2017, 11:10:15 PM
FUCK YEAH TREY. FUCK YEAH

Superfreakie

Que te vaya bien, que te vaya bien, Te quiero más que las palabras pueden decir.

ph92

Quote from: Superfreakie on July 02, 2010, 01:16:40 AM
Quote from: phishhead92 on July 01, 2010, 11:45:31 PM

cool little jobby.

:) thanks man, if you want that or a amp built  i can help you out there :-D

i think im gonna try to start a mini business, building custom amps and DACs, and i want to take some electrical engineering courses in college next year so maybe i can write my own schematics and such. that could be pretty cool
Make America Melt Again!

jephrey

bvaz, yeah, 24bit tracker, no work.  I'm for that too, let's do it  :clap:

Actually, that would be the coolest.  :smoke:
There are 10 types of people in this world.  Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Superfreakie

Quote from: phishhead92 on July 02, 2010, 01:30:08 AM

cool little jobby.

i think im gonna try to start a mini business, building custom amps and DACs, and i want to take some electrical engineering courses in college next year so maybe i can write my own schematics and such. that could be pretty cool

That's fantastic. I presently have a pretty nice set up. I run Mission Pilastro speakers, pushed with dual custom tubes (speakers can be tri-wired but the costs then get a little outrageous) which themselves are pushed by custom dual tube pre-amps that then run into a multiple of output sources depending on my listening choice for the evening. Check this out. Beautiful gear but the guy also has a bunch of great articles you can read for free that are very well written for those who suffer from our addiction to nice sound. Marmar, here at the 'paug, also has a ridiculous set up.:

http://www.decware.com/newsite/homepage.html

ph92

Quote from: Superfreakie on July 02, 2010, 01:47:50 AM

cool little jobby.

That's fantastic. I presently have a pretty nice set up. I run Mission Pilastro speakers, pushed with dual custom tubes (speakers can be tri-wired but the costs then get a little outrageous) which themselves are pushed by custom dual tube pre-amps that then run into a multiple of output sources depending on my listening choice for the evening. Check this out. Beautiful gear but the guy also has a bunch of great articles you can read for free that are very well written for those who suffer from our addiction to nice sound. Marmar, here at the 'paug, also has a ridiculous set up.:

oh im very aware of marmar's setup (hes used to be on the shnfam, he disappeared though)

but yeah that sounds like a really nice setup, i was talking headphones though :D, im too poor to get into the speaker audiophile world. check out my new post though, if you want some quality cable i am willing to build it for you :D (forget 250 for 5 feet of cable)

http://week4paug.net/for-sale!/ic-custom-built-ampsdacs/
Make America Melt Again!

Superfreakie

Quote from: phishhead92 on July 02, 2010, 02:23:03 AM
Quote from: Superfreakie on July 02, 2010, 01:47:50 AM

cool little jobby.

oh im very aware of marmar's setup (hes used to be on the shnfam, he disappeared though)

but yeah that sounds like a really nice setup, i was talking headphones though :D, im too poor to get into the speaker audiophile world. check out my new post though, if you want some quality cable i am willing to build it for you :D (forget 250 for 5 feet of cable)

http://week4paug.net/for-sale!/ic-custom-built-ampsdacs/

Unfortunately, I don't listen to music with headphones unless I am working on tapes, but that stuff I do at a friend's mini-studio. However, thanks for the offer, you never know.

ph92

Quote from: Superfreakie on July 02, 2010, 02:31:18 AM
Unfortunately, I don't listen to music with headphones unless I am working on tapes, but that stuff I do at a friend's mini-studio. However, thanks for the offer, you never know.

oh bummer, and i totally forgot about decware, *adding to the list of things ill build* :-D

its no problem, if you go to amb.org and look at the beta 22 that can be a stereo amp.  and the DAC can work on any stereo.... NOT FORCING YOU TO POSSIBLY WANT MORE THINGS... NEVER! :-D
Make America Melt Again!

Superfreakie

Quote from: phishhead92 on July 02, 2010, 02:38:17 AM

oh bummer, and i totally forgot about decware, *adding to the list of things ill build* :-D

its no problem, if you go to amb.org and look at the beta 22 that can be a stereo amp.  and the DAC can work on any stereo.... NOT FORCING YOU TO POSSIBLY WANT MORE THINGS... NEVER! :-D

if I spend anymore money on sound my girlfriend will have me committed. It's bad enough that I have to let her play her music through my system every now and again.  :hereitisyousentimentalbastard  :hereitisyousentimentalbastard :hereitisyousentimentalbastard :hereitisyousentimentalbastard :hereitisyousentimentalbastard

Marmar

you wanna hear the difference between 16bit and 24?....listen to some classical in 24 vs 16 and then tell me you cant hear a difference....

it's all in the details of the quiet passages.....and the dynamics of the louder ones....
Who's the Marmar? I'm the Marmar!!!

Phish doesn't write beautiful music...the beautiful music happens after the written parts.

<gainesvillegreen> now, if they could get their sound to be as good as the lights, we'd have a band hee-yah!!

Music is what feelings sound like.

ph92

Quote from: Marmar on July 02, 2010, 07:23:41 AM
you wanna hear the difference between 16bit and 24?....listen to some classical in 24 vs 16 and then tell me you cant hear a difference....

it's all in the details of the quiet passages.....and the dynamics of the louder ones....

i can ususally tell on studio, and i dont have very much classical, i need to get on that, get those 24bit 192kHz vinyl rips (unless i have to settle for 24/96 UGH the horror) :-D

Quote from: Superfreakie on July 02, 2010, 03:24:45 AM
Quote from: phishhead92 on July 02, 2010, 02:38:17 AM

if I spend anymore money on sound my girlfriend will have me committed. It's bad enough that I have to let her play her music through my system every now and again.  :hereitisyousentimentalbastard  :hereitisyousentimentalbastard :hereitisyousentimentalbastard :hereitisyousentimentalbastard :hereitisyousentimentalbastard

luckily i dont have anyone i have to share my rig with so im all good on that, my dad lets me use his rig its

Pioneerr PD-D9-J > Anthem TLP-1 > Anthem MCA 20 > Def Tech BP7004

he also has some random turntable thats not that great, so we need to get him a new one of those as well

all hooked up with cables i made, vampire RCA plugs, and furutech cable for the speaker and the interconnects. sounds great, i helped him pick out the whole system (besides the speakers), and its all analog (besides the CD player obv) none of this digital 5.1 jibba-jabba. 2 channel awesomeness :-D
Make America Melt Again!

rowjimmy

phishhead92,
Tell me about this diymod on your iPod 5g, please...