News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Clinton Update......

Started by sophist, December 04, 2006, 09:36:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gimmetela

Yet, we all forget that in the end, we don't really choose the president anyway...it's the electoral college that NEEDS TO BE ELIMINATED.  Obama, Hillary, Gore, Oprah--whoever runs on the democratic ticket is going to have a helluva fight on their hands.  AND if the electoral college gets deadlocked (which, by the numbers, should never happen...hmmmm....) the rather conservative supreme court gets to decide.

On the whole, the democratic party has less than 2 years to prove that they are some sort of political force to be reckoned with--with the control in the house/senate (we are still in control with all the health ailments, aren't we?  I've been working 3 jobs over the last two weeks--it's crunch time in the resort town where i live...I've been outta touch)  They need to bolster the economic future in this country, figure out a plan to get us out of Iraq, and hopefully focus inward on domestic policy...

What it comes down to is this...Americans are complacent.  We don't wanna leave our computers, our couch, our comfort zone to spark change in our own government.  Our freedom of speech has given us also the freedom of talking about the problem, not attacking it.  I wish that we all had the drive, the push for social reform that was had in the 60's...but i deviate from the thread.

Hicks

Quote from: jephrey on December 23, 2006, 01:35:16 AM
If I think about it on a personal level and leave the rest of the world out of it, for me, the last 6 years have been a booming peacetime economy.  Is it wrong to admit that I've had it better since Bushie has been prez?  I can't say that I loved the Clinton era, but that's because the current era is showing me that this is a better financial time for me.  I can't say that I love the Bush era due to the social issues it's caused.  It's for different things, but I'll take it all the same.  I've put myself in a position to be barely affected by whoever the president is.  They all have more bad than good points.

J

You're naive if you think we've felt the full reprocussions of the cluster fuck known as the Bush Presidency.  It's going to take years before the majority of the country realizes how deep of a hole we're actually in. 

It's not wrong to be secure financially, but I don't see the morality in ignoring the fact that majority of our fellow Americans are not better off with wages stagnating, our servicemen being killed and maimed in Iraq, and thousands still displaced from the botched Katrina aftermath.
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

susep

Quote from: gimmetela on December 23, 2006, 09:45:02 AM
What it comes down to is this...Americans are complacent.  We don't wanna leave our computers, our couch, our comfort zone to spark change in our own government.  Our freedom of speech has given us also the freedom of talking about the problem, not attacking it.

Americans are "conditioned" to not abstract about anything political.  As long as the fridge and gas tank are full so too are American ambitions.

gimmetela

jephrey

QuoteYou're naive if you think we've felt the full reprocussions of the cluster fuck known as the Bush Presidency.  It's going to take years before the majority of the country realizes how deep of a hole we're actually in. 

It's not wrong to be secure financially, but I don't see the morality in ignoring the fact that majority of our fellow Americans are not better off with wages stagnating, our servicemen being killed and maimed in Iraq, and thousands still displaced from the botched Katrina aftermath.

That's why I prefaced my comments with "on a personal level".  That doesn't mean I don't care about these things.  I'm just saying that on a personal level, I'm one fellow american who IS better off now...  Personally.

But don't take my comments to mean that I'm a Bush-lover (well, I am, but not the prez :wink:), I know there is so much that is messed up.  I'm just saying that there are things messed up in every presidency, and I'm not about to sit here and agree that Clinton was some wonderful guy and that he was even a major reason for a booming peacetime economy.  It's been downhill since the first 4.

J
There are 10 types of people in this world.  Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

bacchist

Quote from: jephrey on December 23, 2006, 11:17:12 AM
I'm just saying that on a personal level, I'm one fellow american who IS better off now...  Personally.

i'm not sure if this metaphor will work for you, but i would rather be a role player on a championship team than the star player on a losing team... we're going down the drain as a country.  not trying to be overly dramatic about it but just because you're in decent shape relative to the rest of us doesn't mean you won't be affected when the poop really hits the fan from the mistakes of the past 6 years.
Rebuilding...

Hicks

Even though I still don't make jack, I've been able to increase my income by 10% or more over the last three years.   

I still think this country is in trouble, both economically and from a strategic/military standpoint. 

"No one is free when others are oppressed."
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

susep

Quote from: ikki on December 23, 2006, 01:20:35 PM
I still think this country is in trouble, both economically and from a strategic/military standpoint. 

Looking outside at a semi-green lawn, no snow on Maine's ski slopes and various insects flourishing in a normal dormant cycle, its easy to see the current model has definitely escaped us.
It seems apparent our society has difficulty addressing long standing issues when the time to act is quickly evaporating. 

I think that we're capable of asking and answering difficult scenarios but the various structures that have evolved and produced the very problems we seek to rectify, swallow us.

jephrey

Quotei'm not sure if this metaphor will work for you, but i would rather be a role player on a championship team than the star player on a losing team... we're going down the drain as a country.  not trying to be overly dramatic about it but just because you're in decent shape relative to the rest of us doesn't mean you won't be affected when the poop really hits the fan from the mistakes of the past 6 years.

Totally understood.  And yes, I may be affected adversley when the shit does hit the fan, if it does.  That remains to be seen.

J
There are 10 types of people in this world.  Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

fauxpaxfauxreal

I won't vote for her.

I think she serves us well in the senate, but she doesn't belong inside the oval office.

If her husband were ghosting her, I'd feel better about it.

It's time for a change.  And that change isn't with Ms. Rodham-Clinton.

susep

Quote from: fauxpaxfauxreal on December 23, 2006, 05:07:33 PM
I think she serves us well in the senate, but she doesn't belong inside the oval office.

Who does?

fauxpaxfauxreal

fauxpaxfauxreal

O.K.  that was kind of a joke.

Whoever does should have our countries best interests at heart, should be willing to DIE for our country and be savvy enough to implement plans to furthur our interests.

I don't think Ms. Clinton fits any of those three bills.

susep

Quote from: fauxpaxfauxreal on December 23, 2006, 05:11:52 PM
should be willing to DIE for our country

Didn't Bushy puss out on Vietnam?

fauxpaxfauxreal

Also I would like a candidate who is fluent in both Arabic and Hebrew.

I said George Sr.

George Sr. volunteered for the armed services when the secretary of war personally told him NOT to enlist.

George was the only one in his flyboy squadron that survived WWII.

George only survived because he was lucky enough to land north of his target.

George Jr. is a black mark fo sho.