News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Rd 1 - Mike's Song/Groove - (2) 12-01-95 vs. (3) 12-30-99

Started by runawayjimbo, July 15, 2012, 11:00:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

runawayjimbo

Round #1 - Mike's Song/Groove Bracket

(2) 12-01-1995 - Hersheypark Arena - Hershey, PA (Mike's Song -> Weekapaug Groove)

vs.

(3) 12-30-1999 - Big Cypress Seminole Indian Reservation - Big Cypress, FL (Mike's Song)

POLLS CLOSE: Monday, 7/23, 10pm EST
Quote from: DoW on October 26, 2013, 09:06:17 PM
I'm drunk but that was epuc

Quote from: mehead on June 22, 2016, 11:52:42 PM
The Line still sucks. Hard.

Quote from: Gumbo72203 on July 25, 2017, 08:21:56 PM
well boys, we fucked up by not being there.

mistercharlie

"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

runawayjimbo

This was another easy one for me as 12-01-95 does indeed rule your face. To be honest, I'm not even sure how Big Cypress made its way on here, as it usually bores the shit out of me (as it did today). I mean, the Immigrant Song teases are aight and the part when they fall back into Mike's following 5 mins of noise (although the end of the chaos gets pretty sick) is kinda cool, but it can't touch Hershey IMO. There's just so much going on and all of it is the shit. I even like (not tolerate, like) the mini-kit jam fer crissakes. Cap it off with one of the slickest segues you'll ever hear and an enjoyable Paug and that shit is smoking.

rowjimmy

I was at both of these.
One of these rules your face.

The other was fun too.

But one of these rules your face.

VDB

The Immigrant Song teases in the Big Cypress version are cool, but the jam really takes off when Trey does that spooky howling thing starting around 5:45. Page's organ layers are great here as well. Then I love Mike's walking bass line while Trey and Page are doing their Halloween noises, starts in the 11-ish range.

Hershey: One thing about mid-90's Phish, and this Mike's illustrates it well, is how much more gusto and energy there seems to be in the playing. Not just the jams, but in the composed sections as well. I often find it makes listening to earlier Phish -- like, listening to entire shows straight through, not just skipping straight to the jamz -- more enjoyable than later years, when there may have been plenty of good jamming still going on, but the songs themselves seem flatter. At around 8:00 here, when they drop into the second jam session, I love that hard-driving rhythm, so well-applied in fall 1995, with Trey's gooey psychedelia oozing around and among Fish's heavy beats and Page's cacophonous piano. Soaring guitar-driven jam drops so nicely into a driving groove at around 14:25 before the mini-kit jam. I love the segue into Weekapaug -- it's more like they are coming back around to Paug after a Paug jam rather than just starting at the beginning. A sort of Paug jam reprise for a minute before the proper opening drops.

Gotta go Hershey, of course!
Is this still Wombat?

jedifunk

cypress mikes is 70% noise 90% of the time.

hershey rips
Much Respect
(the other resident mac guy) [macbook air]
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

gah

Quote from: jedifunk on July 18, 2012, 08:40:44 PM
cypress mikes is 70% noise 90% of the time.

hershey rips

Jeedifunk is 100% right, 85% of the time. This is one of those times.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.

mbw

the big cypress mikes was incredibly intense in person.
i'm sure hershey was as well, alas i was not there.

what made it stand out in person was kuroda though.
i ser thought phish had (finally) cracked hell wide open with the red smoke that enveloped the entire stage, and subsequent chaos.
also, drugs.

it blew the minds of some old dead heads we were camped next to as well, as that was the hot topic of conversation over breakfast.

also, big fan of noise.

gah

Quote from: mirthbeatenworker on July 23, 2012, 05:48:43 PM

i ser thought phish had (finally) cracked hell wide open with the red smoke that enveloped the entire stage, and subsequent chaos.
also, drugs.

I could see that. Evil Phish is my favorite.

mbw

Quote from: goodabouthood on July 23, 2012, 06:03:38 PM

also, drugs.

mine too.

gah

Quote from: mirthbeatenworker on July 23, 2012, 06:21:05 PM

also, drugs.

mine too.

Maybe I should let you take me out to dinner some time.

mistercharlie

Quote from: goodabouthood on July 23, 2012, 06:52:47 PM
Quote from: mirthbeatenworker on July 23, 2012, 06:21:05 PM

also, drugs.

mine too.

Maybe I should let you take me out to dinner some time.
You two could be the next Redrum & Messengerbird.  :evil:
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

runawayjimbo

also, big fan of noise.

Well, that explains the love for the nTelos Melt   :-P

LAST CALL: Polls closing in about an hour

runawayjimbo

Hershey wins setting up an epic December '95 Mike's showdown.