News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Rd 1 - Stash - (1) 08-15-93 vs (4) 07-08-94

Started by runawayjimbo, July 15, 2012, 11:05:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

runawayjimbo

Round #1 - Stash Bracket

(1) 08-15-1993 - The Macauley Theater - Louisville, KY

vs.

(4) 07-08-1994 - Great Woods Center for the Performing Arts - Mansfield, MA

POLL CLOSE: Tuesday, 7/24, 10pm EST
Quote from: DoW on October 26, 2013, 09:06:17 PM
I'm drunk but that was epuc

Quote from: mehead on June 22, 2016, 11:52:42 PM
The Line still sucks. Hard.

Quote from: Gumbo72203 on July 25, 2017, 08:21:56 PM
well boys, we fucked up by not being there.

VDB

7/8/94 is a ferocious motherfucker and wisely chosen for inclusion on ALO.

But 8/15/93 is just more adventurous, and well-executed taboot. I love the little progression they hit on at around 11:30. The start-stop action at around 14:20 is dope as well. This leads nicely back into Stash proper, which proceeds to rage for a few minutes.
Is this still Wombat?

runawayjimbo

This was one of the easier picks for me, 08-15-93 by a mile.

07-08-94 is a little bumpy during some of the composed sections (at least by '94 standards; e.g., ~2 mins) and although it does somewhat redeem itself in the jam, 08-15 just sizzles from beginning to end. It highlights the unbelievable ESP the dudes had going on at the time and is somehow open-ended yet purposeful, at times both melodic and dissonant at once. Page's little riff ~10 mins (that sets the table for the progression VDB mentions) is one of those segments that just pops into my head randomly as I'm walking to work or mowing the lawn. It's definitely one of my musical highlights from a consensus top month of Phish.

WhatstheUse?

The 7-8 Stash is one of the jams that got me hooked on Phish.  the jam is so incredibly dark and ferocious.... and as a musician, really taught me a lot about how to create dissonance in an improvisational setting

....but the 93 version is an absolute musical masterpiece. The way they seamlessly flow through progression and themes is phenomenal to me.  Absolute genius, imo. Like much of August 93... some of the best Phish ever.
Bring in the dude!

mistercharlie

Quote from: WhatstheUse? on July 17, 2012, 12:38:00 AM
The 7-8 Stash is one of the jams that got me hooked on Phish.  the jam is so incredibly dark and ferocious.... and as a musician, really taught me a lot about how to create dissonance in an improvisational setting

....but the 93 version is an absolute musical masterpiece. The way they seamlessly flow through progression and themes is phenomenal to me.  Absolute genius, imo. Like much of August 93... some of the best Phish ever.

So you don't know who to vote for?
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

WhatstheUse?

Quote from: mistercharlie on July 17, 2012, 04:55:26 AM

Basically, I'm just an all-around fluffer.
Bring in the dude!

mistercharlie

Listened to both of these this morning and I decided to go with 08-15-93.
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

birdman

Once again I'm choosing the one I attended. Great woods it is
Paug FTMFW!

khalpin

Quote from: WhatstheUse? on July 17, 2012, 05:28:54 AM
Quote from: mistercharlie on July 17, 2012, 04:55:26 AM

Basically, I'm just an all-around fluffer.
:hereitisyousentimentalbastard

McGrupp

I'm voting for the best Stash ever.

Which is 8/15/93.
Just two whiskies, officer.

Quote from: kellerb on November 30, 2010, 10:40:51 PM
I'm not sure if I followed this thread correctly, but what guys are saying is that Dave Thomas sold crack in inner-city DC in the mid-80's, right?

JPhishman

Although I do know a guy that pissed the couch during ALO Stash while real high on LSD....

8/15/93 is just ridiculously sick. Gotta go that way.

The guy later said he thought that a hurricane was ripping the siding off the house.

:phish:

eta: We grossly underestimated our dosage.
"Be sure your expectations are reasonable." - fortune cookie

sls.stormyrider

"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

VDB

Quote from: JPhishman on July 17, 2012, 06:29:25 PM
Although I do know a guy that pissed the couch during ALO Stash while real high on LSD....

8/15/93 is just ridiculously sick. Gotta go that way.

The guy later said he thought that a hurricane was ripping the siding off the house.

:phish:

eta: We grossly underestimated our dosage.

That sounds just awesome enough to be worth it.
Is this still Wombat?

runawayjimbo