News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Paug Runners' World

Started by GBL, August 21, 2009, 06:52:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Augustus

QuoteRace Cancellation

Many of you have been following along with the Eagle Creek fire that is currently burning thousands of acres of trails in the Columbia River Gorge.  It is with heavy hearts that we announce we will not be able to hold the 2018 Gorge Waterfalls 50K or 100K next spring. 

After a conversation with our ranger at the forest service, she informed us that they would not even begin to start repairing the trails until next spring.  We are hopeful that we will be able to hold the race again in the future and we will certainly keep you all posted as soon as we have any more information.

:|

Sucks, but their hands are tied at this point.

Caravan2001

Quote from: Augustus on September 14, 2017, 05:26:47 PM
QuoteRace Cancellation

Many of you have been following along with the Eagle Creek fire that is currently burning thousands of acres of trails in the Columbia River Gorge.  It is with heavy hearts that we announce we will not be able to hold the 2018 Gorge Waterfalls 50K or 100K next spring. 

After a conversation with our ranger at the forest service, she informed us that they would not even begin to start repairing the trails until next spring.  We are hopeful that we will be able to hold the race again in the future and we will certainly keep you all posted as soon as we have any more information.

:|

Sucks, but their hands are tied at this point.

Ugh.  That bites.  But the good news is that they are slowly getting it under control and the forest will be back.  We are finally having clear days again here in town.  The other did news is that there are a ton of other epic races out here in the PNW, maybe there's another that will take up the slack (and pique your interest).

khalpin

After years of being pretty much just a treadmill runner going for a half hour at a clip a few times a week, we finally got a dog.  So I've started spending my weekends running with my dog going 8 or 9 miles each day.  The downside is apparently my second toe sticks out further than my big toe and it's taking a beating.  Blistered, black and blue, and extremely tender.  Anyone else encounter this and is there anything I can do about it?  It's only on one foot, oddly enough, but it's been about 6 months, which is basically when I started running longer distances.

gah

Quote from: khalpin on October 29, 2017, 12:47:47 PM
After years of being pretty much just a treadmill runner going for a half hour at a clip a few times a week, we finally got a dog.  So I've started spending my weekends running with my dog going 8 or 9 miles each day.  The downside is apparently my second toe sticks out further than my big toe and it's taking a beating.  Blistered, black and blue, and extremely tender.  Anyone else encounter this and is there anything I can do about it?  It's only on one foot, oddly enough, but it's been about 6 months, which is basically when I started running longer distances.

No personal experience with this, but there's this:

http://shoosed.com/shoes/orthopedic/mortons-toe/

Might be time to change shoes.

Also, big ups on getting out there for the longer distances. I used to run when I was in my late 20's, but then quit, but a couple years ago started up again, and have done five 1/2's in the last year, but this summer I re-injured my back (herniated discs) in an unrelated event, and couldn't even walk for awhile, then had to use a cane, then finally got back to walking, then finally getting back into the gym the last couple weeks, and yesterday finally got a run in outside...covered 8 miles at a 11 min pace, but I've never been fast or anything, just trudge along, so I don't care about that really, but man, it just felt really good to be out there running again....

so yeah man, maybe consider changing shoes to one of those off that list...
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.

August

Nice work, guys!

Blisters and black toenails are part of distance running, unfortunately.
I ran 16 in the pouring rain yesterday and all I got was this stupid blood blister.

gah

Yeah, I'm finding there's always going to be something going on that you're dealing with...I was trying to get ready for full in March, but by Jan, I'd worked my way up to 18 miles, but my right knee was killing me and I was doing ice packs and ibuprofen every day. I just had to come to terms with it wasn't going to happen. I'm hoping to start pushing again for one in the spring tho, building a base right now.

August

Nice! Was it general "Runner's Knee" symptoms or was it worse?
You can generally run through RK pain without worsening your symptoms.
I'll get knee pain whenever I slack on my supplement stack (Turmeric, Fish Oil & Glucosamine) for joint issues, and they're generally resolved within 5 days when I start taking them again. 
Plenty of great marathons to focus on in the Spring!

sunrisevt

Quote from: gah on October 30, 2017, 10:47:39 AM... but this summer I re-injured my back (herniated discs) in an unrelated event, and couldn't even walk for awhile, then had to use a cane, then finally got back to walking, then finally getting back into the gym the last couple weeks, and yesterday finally got a run in outside...covered 8 miles at a 11 min pace, but I've never been fast or anything, just trudge along, so I don't care about that really, but man, it just felt really good to be out there running again....

We're gonna need a story for this.
Quote from: Eleanor MarsailI love you, daddy. Actually, I love all the people. Even the ones who I don't know their name.

Buffalo Budd

That pic of Aug's toe is gonna haunt me for years.
Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

August

Quote from: Buffalo Budd on October 30, 2017, 06:43:17 PM
That pic of Aug's toe is gonna haunt me for years.

I should've got some vid of me slicing it...

khalpin

Quote from: August on October 30, 2017, 11:06:40 AM

Blisters and black toenails are part of distance running, unfortunately.

i.e. Man up, ya bunch of Nancies.

gah

Quote from: sunrisevt on October 30, 2017, 03:24:09 PM
Quote from: gah on October 30, 2017, 10:47:39 AM... but this summer I re-injured my back (herniated discs) in an unrelated event, and couldn't even walk for awhile, then had to use a cane, then finally got back to walking, then finally getting back into the gym the last couple weeks, and yesterday finally got a run in outside...covered 8 miles at a 11 min pace, but I've never been fast or anything, just trudge along, so I don't care about that really, but man, it just felt really good to be out there running again....

We're gonna need a story for this.

weekend trip to fells point baltimore + dope airbnb + lady friend + me being an old man and not as flexible as I once was....you can figure it out.  :hereitisyousentimentalbastard

but mostly:
  :shakehead:

sunrisevt

Bless you, you sexy old man, you!
Quote from: Eleanor MarsailI love you, daddy. Actually, I love all the people. Even the ones who I don't know their name.

sls.stormyrider

Quote from: sunrisevt on October 31, 2017, 10:36:31 AM
Bless you, you sexy old man, you!

agreed.

and khalpin, agree on shoe comments.  you may need to go up 1/2 size. my running shoes typically are about 1/2 size larger than shoes
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

sls.stormyrider

Was running really well end of summer, then popped a hamstring mid September. took a few weeks off, have been going slow. Did my first run this AM in preparation for the Feaster (Thanksgiving) - it was ugly. It will be an off year
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."