News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

VA Crew: Local Shows, Meetups, etc.

Started by rowjimmy, September 02, 2013, 05:14:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rowjimmy

So there's a lot of us around here. No offense if I include those of you commonly associated with MD. Nobody's perfect but you guys are definitly a part of our greater community running from Hampton Roads up to Baltimore.

I thought this would be a good place to discuss those smaller shows we're checking out and whatever else that may be going on, including the death of 9:30 Club manager and staple Josh Burdette. I know a bunch of us have been there countless times and, while we may not have known him, his face was a familiar sight that went with some pretty good nights. Barnesy already started the discussion here.

Other upcoming things include the expected to be killer Tame Impala/FLips show @ MPP.

Who all is in for that?

barnesy305

Quote from: rowjimmy on September 02, 2013, 05:14:05 PM
So there's a lot of us around here. No offense if I include those of you commonly associated with MD. Nobody's perfect but you guys are definitly a part of our greater community running from Hampton Roads up to Baltimore.

I thought this would be a good place to discuss those smaller shows we're checking out and whatever else that may be going on, including the death of 9:30 Club manager and staple Josh Burdette. I know a bunch of us have been there countless times and, while we may not have known him, his face was a familiar sight that went with some pretty good nights. Barnesy already started the discussion here.

Other upcoming things include the expected to be killer Tame Impala/FLips show @ MPP.

Who all is in for that?

Definitely in for that. Antibalas is playing the Black Cat the night before and I just learned that James Murphy is spinning at 930 that night. Some shit right there. Also, I don't know if you saw this, but Cy Dune is playing in RVA this week, dude.

Igbo

Quote from: barnesy305 on September 02, 2013, 05:18:56 PM

Who all is in for that?

Definitely in for that. Antibalas is playing the Black Cat the night before and I just learned that James Murphy is spinning at 930 that night. Some shit right there. Also, I don't know if you saw this, but Cy Dune is playing in RVA this week, dude.

Antibalas>James Murphy DJ Set>Flips/Tame Impala. I'm all in for these.

barnesy305

Quote from: Igbo on September 02, 2013, 06:20:06 PM
Quote from: barnesy305 on September 02, 2013, 05:18:56 PM

Who all is in for that?

Antibalas>James Murphy DJ Set>Flips/Tame Impala. I'm all in for these.

Actually I wrote that wrong, it's Antibalas>Flips/Tame Impala>James Murphy DJ Set. Not that it is going to change my mind.

mbw

Cy Dune (Seth Olinsky) playing some gigs in the VA area this week.

Sept 4 – Richmond, VA / Balliceaux w/ Descendents of the Sun (ft Reggie from Bon Iver)
Sept 5 – Raleigh, NC / Hopscotch Festival
Sept 6 – Hopscotch  / Band Dialogue 1
Sept 7 – Hopscotch / Pour House with Pissed Jeans
Sept 8 – Asheville / Apothecary Gallery with Morbids
Sept 9 – Harrisonburg, VA (JMU) / Clementine Cafe w/ Norwegian Arms and Jamaican Queens

i'm jealous.

blatboom

terrible timing on the Cy Dune as I already have a ticket to see Future Islands at the Camel

Barnes is out for Deerhunter on Sat 9/21 so I still have an extra for that

also this month is Sigur Ros at JPJ Arena that following Monday

rowjimmy

Wish wish wish I could see Cy Dune.
Just cannot do it.

barnesy305

Quote from: rowjimmy on September 02, 2013, 08:24:58 PM
Just cannot do it.

If there's any tour vinyl I'll pick one up for you.

McGrupp

Really interested in that FLips/Tame Impala...
Just two whiskies, officer.

Quote from: kellerb on November 30, 2010, 10:40:51 PM
I'm not sure if I followed this thread correctly, but what guys are saying is that Dave Thomas sold crack in inner-city DC in the mid-80's, right?

rowjimmy

Quote from: barnesy305 on September 02, 2013, 08:30:40 PM
Quote from: rowjimmy on September 02, 2013, 08:24:58 PM
Just cannot do it.

If there's any tour vinyl I'll pick one up for you.

Tell Seth I said, what up.

emay

woah! didnt know james murphy is playin 930 club! def in for that!
also will be at tame impala and the Flips!

Igbo

Quote from: emayPhishyMD on September 04, 2013, 02:40:40 PM

Yeah ive heard a couple of James' dj sets. His not the best dj in terms of skills but very eclectic mix with lots o' disco!!! Really really want to go to that

emay

Quote from: Igbo on September 04, 2013, 02:53:15 PM
Quote from: emayPhishyMD on September 04, 2013, 02:40:40 PM

Yeah ive heard a couple of James' dj sets. His not the best dj in terms of skills but very eclectic mix with lots o' disco!!! Really really want to go to that

i saw him last summer at merriweather with hot chip, his set was def nice funk/disco/house mix. i really enjoyed it. psyched to catch him at 930 club....40 bucks though!? thats kinda steep. Ill still be there. Would be sick if he was playin U street.

antelope19

Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment

VA $l!m

-I'm still walkin', so i'm sure that I can dance-