News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

The Baker's Dozen - 07/21 - 08/06/17

Started by runawayjimbo, January 31, 2017, 10:13:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gah

I normally don't reading failing newspapers, but when I do, I like the even better article, the interview with Trey under related coverage!
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.

mattstick

I've read 4 or 5 of Ben Ratliff's jazz books, he's an exceptional author.  If you can accept that Phish isn't for everyone there is a lot to like in that review, ymmv.

anthrax

gah

Quote from: anthrax on August 08, 2017, 12:29:08 PM
Quote from: gah on August 08, 2017, 12:05:47 PM
I normally don't reading failing newspapers, but when I do, I like the even better article, the interview with Trey under related coverage!

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/08/arts/music/phish-trey-anastasio-bakers-dozen-interview.html?action=click&contentCollection=Music&module=RelatedCoverage&region=Marginalia&pgtype=article

Agreed!  I wish that was a lot longer!

Totally. Seems like that was just a quick phone interview.

Buffalo Budd

That interview makes me more amazed at how they pulled this run off.
Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

aphineday

Quote from: Buffalo Budd on August 08, 2017, 01:01:44 PM

It did a good deal to completely squash the "its over" rumor/vibe in the mind of people who wanted to think that way.
Nothing he says here points in any direction other than up!
If we could see these many waves that flow through clouds and sunken caves...

gah

Quote from: aphineday on August 08, 2017, 02:38:16 PM

It did a good deal to completely squash the "its over" rumor/vibe in the mind of people who wanted to think that way.

Not true. He said,

QuoteAnd so I'm standing there and I'm like, "Well, how do you follow that up?" But what went through my mind was, "You don't follow it up

It's over.  :cry:

:evil:

VDB

Quote from: mattstick on August 08, 2017, 12:09:55 PM

I've read 4 or 5 of Ben Ratliff's jazz books, he's an exceptional author.  If you can accept that Phish isn't for everyone there is a lot to like in that review, ymmv.

I particularly appreciated his ability to make these two observations:

QuoteThe burden on Phish, after 34 years, is to keep adding value, because their fans are also advanced-level consumers who know what it means to be satisfied.

QuoteBut Phish, and their fans, don't wait around for absolute value. They create it. Nearly everything in the Phish universe is valuable on some level.

I will continue to lament, however, the fact that whenever someone who doesn't like Phish writes about Phish, they feel the need to go out of their way to make sure you know they don't like Phish.
Is this still Wombat?

sls.stormyrider

the fact that they make their bias obvious helps put everything they say in perspective
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

aphineday

Quote from: gah on August 08, 2017, 03:10:53 PM
Quote from: aphineday on August 08, 2017, 02:38:16 PM

Not true. He said,

QuoteAnd so I'm standing there and I'm like, "Well, how do you follow that up?" But what went through my mind was, "You don't follow it up

It's over.  :cry:

:evil:
:clap: well done. I lol'd.
If we could see these many waves that flow through clouds and sunken caves...

rowjimmy

Quote from: gah on August 08, 2017, 12:31:22 PM

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/08/arts/music/phish-trey-anastasio-bakers-dozen-interview.html?action=click&contentCollection=Music&module=RelatedCoverage&region=Marginalia&pgtype=article

There's more.
The outtakes are juicy.
Check this twitter thread from the interviewer, Jesse Jarnow:
https://twitter.com/bourgwick/status/895117740708679680

Buffalo Budd

Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

shoreline99

QuoteTL;DR: trey figured out how to turn every answer into "i love my bandmates", which was totally adorable. good vibes. /fin
:hereitisyousentimentalbastard
Quote from: rowjimmy on August 25, 2015, 11:19:15 AM
You're entitled to your opinion but I'm going to laugh at it.

gah

Quote from: rowjimmy on August 09, 2017, 08:54:14 AM
Quote from: gah on August 08, 2017, 12:31:22 PM

There's more.
The outtakes are juicy.
Check this twitter thread from the interviewer, Jesse Jarnow:
https://twitter.com/bourgwick/status/895117740708679680

Oh wow. Nice. Thanks man, now THAT was more satisfying than the original article for sure.

Quote from: Buffalo Budd on August 09, 2017, 08:57:48 AM
Thanks RJ  :beers:

anthrax