News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

(2003) Rolling Stone's Top 100 Guitarists

Started by Itsnotanexperience, June 16, 2006, 10:28:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Itsnotanexperience

Another thing - I'M not on that damn list!!!!

Neither is Faux!!!!!

DAMNIT!!!!

Hicks

Yeah Django Reinhardt is a ridiculously glaring omission, Carlos Montoya deserves props too for being the hands down master of the flamenco guitar.  A very blues oriented list really, all the major guys are represented except for a couple like Leadbelly (whom I would include) and Muddy Waters who wasn't the greatest player per se.  But a lot of the jazz guys like Metheny, Reinhardt, Di Meola, and Montgomery got passed over for some reason. 

I'd probably put Satch on there fwiw, I mean he does have a couple classic instantly recognizable tunes in his catalog, which you can't really say of Malmsteen and Vai, I think of those types of guitarists he was the best and deserves some sort of nod on a list like this. 
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

Itsnotanexperience

Quote from: ikki on June 16, 2006, 02:26:53 PM
Yeah Django Reinhardt is a ridiculously glaring omission, Carlos Montoya deserves props too for being the hands down master of the flamenco guitar.  A very blues oriented list really, all the major guys are represented except for a couple like Leadbelly (whom I would include) and Muddy Waters who wasn't the greatest player per se.  But a lot of the jazz guys like Metheny, Reinhardt, Di Meola, and Montgomery got passed over for some reason. 

I'd probably put Satch on there fwiw, I mean he does have a couple classic instantly recognizable tunes in his catalog, which you can't really say of Malmsteen and Vai, I think of those types of guitarists he was the best and deserves some sort of nod on a list like this. 

I haven't heard enough Reihardt (any suggestions for material??) but yeah, Montoya!!!  Totally forgot about him (and obviously, so did they) - Di Meola, definitely a fav, but an un-surprising omission....Montgomery (if not metheny) for sure........and remember, Satch taught Vai and Hammett how to play, basically - he was their teacher..............so you could show him a bit of love I suppose.

Hicks

Quote from: Itsnotanexperience on June 16, 2006, 02:29:14 PM

........and remember, Satch taught Vai and Hammett how to play, basically - he was their teacher..............so you could show him a bit of love I suppose.

Not to mention Larry Lalonde, is there no justice!!!   :wink:
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

susep

Quote from: fauxpaxfauxreal on June 16, 2006, 02:19:31 PM
it's an absolute SIN to not include Charlie Christiansen, Django Rheinhardt (who invented the concept of having a lead and a rhythm guitarist by having his brother play rhythm),

Also Jack White in the top 20?  Get real.

Agreed.

Hicks

And how are you gonna make BB King number 3 and then not even mention John Lee Hooker?

The more I think about it the lamer this list really is. 

Hicks

And Prince too!!!!!!

OK, I'm done.   :-D

Itsnotanexperience

VA $l!m

-I'm still walkin', so i'm sure that I can dance-

Hicks

Itsnotanexperience

Quote from: ikki on June 16, 2006, 03:35:16 PM
Quote from: Itsnotanexperience on June 16, 2006, 03:05:07 PM
what about Roy Clark?????

who dat?

Roy Clark was many things.  One of them was the host of HEE-HAW back in the 70s (and I guess, the 80s??) - but my grandma once pointed out to me that there were few players better than Roy - one night, on PBS, I saw Roy play - and honestly, the dude was an AMAZING player......blinding, hillbilly, speed - he was doing kind of a bluegrass/country tune and simply blew me away.

susep

I'm sure the list was put together by their A row staff whoever that might be :samurai:

Hicks

Cool, I don't know anything about country, who was the other famous country guy on HeeHaw, just died, from Bakersfield? 

susep

You must be psychic>his name was Buck Owens, a Garcia fav.  Owens was an innovative musician in that he developed a dual lead guitar sound in country&western maybe before the Allman's?

Hicks

Yeah that's right, I can't say I've ever heard him, but I know he was a big influence on Dwight Yoakum who's one of the few country guys from that generation that I can respect. 

Respect for the older guys like Willie, Cash, Hank Sr., and the gals like Loretta Lynn and Patsy Cline goes without saying.

And yes, I am psychic, it's required for my job!

"I'm looking for a guy that's kind of like Bob Marley, has his picture on most of his album covers, with political lyrics . . .

"You mean Ben Harper?"

"Yeah, that's it!"

True story.   :-D