News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

R8/W08: 09-08-2000 Pepsi Arena, Albany, NY

Started by blatboom, October 26, 2009, 06:16:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

blatboom

Phish kicks off their final pre-hiatus tour with a solid and energetic show in Albany.  the first set is packed with quality tunes and the second set brings the jams.
this show features all-time versions of Ghost, Bowie, and Gin.

Phish
September 8, 2000
Pepsi Arena
Albany, NY

source:
Schoeps mk41 > kc5 > cmc6 > Sonosax SX-M2 > Apogee AD-1000 > Tascam DA-P1 (@ 44.1 kHz)

transfer:
Sony PCM-R500 > Tascam HD-P2 > CF Card > usb > pc > WaveLab 5.01b (fades) > CD Wave v1.94.7 > FLAC v1.1.2 (Level 8)

recorded by Dave Flaschner
transferred by Jason Sobel (jasonsobel@gmail.com)
seeded May 5, 2006

Disc 1 - [77:22]
Set I
01 - [03:32] - Mellow Mood
02 - [08:52] - Limb by Limb
03 - [15:48] - Ghost
04 - [03:47] - Bouncing Around the Room
05 - [00:45] - The Horse >
06 - [05:54] - Silent in the Morning
07 - [05:35] - I Saw It Again
08 - [06:31] - NICU
09 - [05:25] - Glide
10 - [04:37] - Axilla
11 - [11:33] - Taste
12 - [05:03] - Golgi Apparatus

Disc 2 - [79:48]
Set II
01 - [11:13] - Birds of a Feather
02 - [06:35] - Windora Bug
03 - [17:55] - David Bowie
04 - [07:22] - Back at the Chicken Shack
05 - [16:10] - Bathtub Gin >
06 - [07:11] - vacuum space jam >
07 - [08:17] - Character Zero
08 - [00:15] - encore break
09 - [04:49] - Fire

note:
the encore crowd noise track has been shortened considerably, in the interest of fitting the entire second set onto one CD.
I have included with this file set the full encore break track for all the crazy completists out there, like myself.
The complete, long crowd noise track is named "ph2000-09-08d2t08-full.flac" with a track time of [03:11].
Using the complete encore break track, the total time for Set II is [82:44].
I was careful with these edits, and there are no sector boundary errors, regardless of which encore break track you use.

lossy:  http://www.sendspace.com/file/xe3h0y

lossless:  http://bt.etree.org/download.php/528182/ph2000-09-08.34572.flac16.torrent  (I'll hop on this when I get home from work tonight)

Submitted Reviews

Khalpin
August
Pie-Guy
RJ
Pnchundi
Sophist
Mirthbeatenworker
Blatboom
AntelopeFreeway

G. Augusto

Alumni

::perks up::

Did someone say sweet Bowie? I don't know whether I've ever heard this one. Somethin' to look forward to. Nice.
Cause I got a degree

pnchundi

mellow mood- kick down to all my wookie brethren out there. and actually ok
lim by limb- great version with trey on fire, but i think fish wins this battle.  his accents fills and rolls are inspired
ghost- an icky sticky gem.   builds and builds with multiple peaks
bouncin- we all need this
horse/silent- always a fan.  page sounds wonderful
i saw it again- i thought it was sounding a lot like a show from europe summer 97, slow chilled out funk and too much hash, and then this pops up from that year.  :)
nicu- good
glide- im glad too
axilla- this song is growing on me.
taste- tasty version. page and trey are playing well together
golgi- status!

A solid first set.  Like the Mellow Mood and the ghost is a keeper.  Slow chilled out dance set without 99's spaciness

birds- off to a good start.  trey is strutting
windora bug- not my favorite trey song.  i like how the vocals are shared, but this is a little too long
bowie- looong intro but leads into a raging bowie.  Lots going on here and its all choice
chicken shack- a little jimmy smith.  again the slow groove. builds nicely at the end
bathtub- this is a strange but good gin.  It does not have any of the previous picks insane peaks.  Instead it feels like each of them is doing their own thing, no one takes the lead, but the shear momentum makes this interesting. 
vaccum jam- pretty cool
zero- rock rock ROCK! speeds up and kicks ass

fire- tasty

Just a solid show with a few standouts (ghost and bowie).  An excellent start to that tour though.  B+

Thanks for another great round d00ds

khalpin

I've seen Phish more times at this venue than any other. I don't know why, it's not like it's very close.  I just love seeing the boys there.  Wish I was going there this fall.  This was the only time I ever attended both nights of a 2 night stand.  That being said, I didn't really care much for this one while I was there or on subsequent listens, but we'll give it another whirl.

Mellow Mood: Not a single person guessed they'd open with this one. Least of all me. They do a nice job with it. Cool cover.

Limb by Limb: Well played. Sounds like Kuroda gets a round of applause ~6:20.

Ghost: Trey does the usual loops as the jam starts, but he kills them off pretty quickly.  Pretty relaxed jam to start out.  Then the funk rears its head but not full-on funk.  The four of them really mesh well together on this one.  A couple of quality peaks in here.  A definite crowd pleaser.

Bouncing: A little cool down after a big Ghost.

Horse>Silent: Pissed that I didn't go grab another beer during Bouncing.  Definitely going for one now.

I Saw It Again: Not much of a fan.  Too repetitive.

NICU: Good tune, good spot, but Trey has some problems with this one for a bit.

Glide: After a long pause, they choose Glide.  Ouch, Trey shakes off some more rust.  Not quite Coventry, but come on....

Axilla: A welcome infusion of energy.

Taste: Love me some Taste.  Trey starts playing with some effects while Page has his piano spot.  Kind of kills it.  Then it seems like it's just Page and Fishman.  Like Trey and Mike aren't into it.  Then they realize there's 15,000 people watching and they kick up the energy level (including Fish on the crash :-o).  Then things change when Trey takes the solo spot.  It's actually pretty sweet from there on out.  Retribution jam?

Golgi: Set closer.

Kind of a mixed first set.  It started off with a lot of potential after the first three tunes but went downhill from there.  One person in our crew left after the first set and would skip the following night's show, although part of that was due to hallucinogens.

Birds of a Feather: Good way to open the set.  More Kuroda applause in there, me thinks.  Solid opener.

Windora Bug: I'm drinkin' the hatorade here.

Bowie: Play the *&%ing song already!!!  Tight composed section.  Very mellow for the first five minutes of the jam.  Then gets pretty eerie and dark.  Took a while but finishes strong.  Nice.

Back at the Shit Shack: If you don't have anything nice to say....

Gin: Certainly no short of jam tunes tonight.  Another mellow start.  Very cool.  Nice transititons throughout.  They do a nice job taking their time for a quality, gradual build-up.  Impossible not to get your groove on to this one.  Mike makes it.  And then the Big Rock peak ~13:00.  Another crowd pleaser.  Nice finish with the Gin reprise.

Ambient jam: A unique vacuum solo, that's for sure.  Pretty cool for the most part.

Zero: Set closer. 

Fire: Generic encore....yes, but it's a good version and packs a nice punch.  I can dig it.

I don't know what it is about this show.  I want to like it, and I know lots of people really dig it.  It definitely has some quality highlights, but there's just so much about it that I dislike that it just turns me off.  A little bit of sloppy playing and then a handful of tracks that I can't get into...  I guess everybody has a show or two that just rubs them the wrong way.  I certainly understand how people would like it, it's just not my style.  Also, the recording doesn't help as it sounds very distant and murky.  I'm not sure if there's a better source that I don't know about.  All that being said, the Bowie, Gin and Ghost are all tasty and definitely worth multiple listens.  I'll say C+.

blatboom

^^ agreed on the source.  I have 4 archived and none of them sound all that stellar.

sophist

Set I
Mellow Mood
Chill way to start off a show.  I like this as an opener, you can hear the crowd getting into it. 

Limb by Limb
I'm a limb fan, but not digging the placement here, too early in the set.  Good version though.

Ghost
This Ghost rages.  Highlight of the show for me. 

Bouncing Around the Room
Standard.  Always a treat. 

The Horse > Silent in the Morning
Standard.  Not digging the placement here.  Bouncin', and this back to back. 

I Saw It Again
Good version.  Some nice rippage by Trey in the jam section.  Nothing out of the ordinary though. 

NICU
Standard. 

Glide
Good version here.  I like the set placement. 

Axilla
I'm a fan of this song, but again, not digging the placement here. 

Taste
Good version.  I like the late set placement here. 

Golgi Apparatus
Good set closer. 

Set I lacks flow to me, it felt disjointed, and I found myself kind of waiting for that next big moment like in Ghost.  Ghost def saved the set imo.  I'd give this first set a C+/B- grade. 

Set II
Birds of a Feather
Nice opener.  Great jam.  Feels like this set is gonna take off from the start. 

Windora Bug
Nice.  I like the placement and tune here. 

David Bowie
Killer Bowie here.  They really rip this shit. 

Back at the Chicken Shack
I like this tune as well.  Good placement.  Nice diversity in the set so far. 

Bathtub Gin >
Solid Gin.  Nothing epic here.  Nice jam portion.  segues into

vacuum space jam >
I think this is a "had to be there moment" because it just didn't translate to tape for me.  I was pretty bored here. 

Character Zero
meh.  Brings the energy back.  standard.  good trey solo. 

encore break
Fire
Nice.  Always a treat. 

Set II is much better than set I in my opinion.  It has better flow, and the Bowie jam is the highlight of the set for me.  Overall set II helps to bring this show out of "C" territory and into "B" territory.  I give this show a B-/B rating. 

Thanks for the pick Blat.  I apologize for the delay in posting my review. 
Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

Alumni

Mellow Mood: This is one of those tunes that I might get into live, but to go back to afterwards? Not really. Darlin'.
Limb: It is kind of early, but I don't mind it. Nice build. I'm not really a huge limb fan, but I enjoy this one.
Ghost: Speaking of getting right to the point... I don't have some pre-set criteria for what makes a really good Ghost. But this is one of 'em. Highlight here, too.
Bouncing: mandatory rest song
Horse>SITM: Already apologized for not digging these in another review. Nothing new here. Basically another rest song for me.
SawItAgain: I hate this song. I really do. More than Character Zero and almost as much as My Soul. Nahh. Even more than My Soul. Sorry guys.
NICU: Why not just go to this out of Bouncing? :) Either way, I'm back.
Glide: I enjoy this tune. Seems like there's always something tasty to follow. Like
Axilla: Axilla? Okay...
Taste: This song grew on me slowly. Didn't care for Fog. Wasn't a big fan of Taste That Surrounds. Taste definitely evolved into something really nice, tho. Not what I was expecting at this point in the set, but a nice version, nonetheless. I like.
Golgi: Seems oddly appropriate for some reason.

I dunno about grades. Maybe after set II. I loved the Ghost. But the set kind of fell off a cliff for me afterwards, Taste notwithstanding.

eta: I must be getting soft on Zero, b/c set II just finished, and I didn't mind it at all. Kind of got into it, in fact...

Cause I got a degree

rowjimmy

I don't wanna phone this in but I was halfway through reviewing this when two things happened-
1) I lost what I had written. oops!
2) Fest 8 began, the Bunny went live and well, you were there.

Set 1
Mellow Mood - would be cool to see. Doesn't come through well at all on the recording that I have.

LxL - standard excellent version

Ghost - After the LxL warmup, this Ghost pretty much rips. Good version for sure.

Bouncin' - yep

Horse > Silent - I'm a fan but this isn't gonna pump up the crowd.

Saw It Again - Now we're talkin'. Standard version, though.

Nicu - sweet

Glide - I'll take it.

Axilla - yep

Taste - Fine ver.

Golgi - okay, then

Set 2
BOAF - Oh, wait. This band jams sometimes? Cool! Nice jamming version.

Windora Bug - Ok. I kinda like this song and in 2009 I'd probably poop myself if they dropped into it. Listening to a 2000 show, I'm tempted to skip it.

Bowie - Ok, boys, lets get this shit moving.
Nice space intro. Wow. I got lost in that version. Let's listen again. That rips. Excellent Bowie.

Chicken Shack - Cool funky chill out.

Gin - Nice rockin version.

Spacey jam - This is kinda cool.

Zero - They could have held up a sign that said, "This show is pretty much over." Same thing. Rockin' version, nothing shocking.

Enc:
Fire - Well they sure rip the fuck out of this song. HOT!

Attending this show would leave little to hate but, as for an at-home listen... it's only "ok".
C

G. Augusto

Quick side note about this show...
I set of to do the first half of this Tour solo.
When the lights went down, it was a really strange feeling knowing that I was gonna be out on the road for two weeks before driving back home, picking up my buddy and hopping back on for my first WC shows. That's all...

Mood - Best one of the 5 performances. Nice way to kick of the Tour.

Limb - I kinda hate Limb, but this one is really good! Crowd goes ape the way the crowd goes ape on the first night of Fall Tour.

Ghost - 1st version sans loops since they started doing it "TSoTG" way. Really hits its stride ~7. Has that great boogie shuffle that most Summer 'oo Gins had. ~11:30, Trey takes some leads over Mike's BAD ASS bass line. Toatl peakage all over the place! AWES VERS.

Bouncing - From the album Eating. Drinking. Fucking & Fighting.

::I've considered using this show a bunch of times, but it's this long run of "songs" that kind of turned me off::

Horse/Silent - Page had a false vocal start that got a few laughs/cheers.

Again - Why was this played as the second song on the second day of IT? It should have opened the second day. Ya know?

NICU - From Festival 8 (and numerous Fall 'o9 shows)

Glide - I like how this was only played twice during this Tour. The opener and the closer. Shoreline was a much better version.

Axilla - Armpit.

Taste - Taste and Limb in the same set. Gag me with a spoon. Actually a good version except for the end part which was rarely hit after '96.

Golgi - Closes it out.

Birds - Pretty sweet with some uneasy tension. Not a monster version, but really does the trick at 11 minutes.

Windora - Makisupa! Oh! What? Cool, but it ain't no Hershey.

Bowie - One of my all time faves right here. Granted, Trey is a little iffy on the composed section (in section, in particular), but this jam and intro really kill. I love how Trey gets DEEP with his keyboard during the intro. This jam starts off like any other Bowie then quickly finds its way into some SERIOUS TENSION. Back when the whale call was rad, Trey is just bending all over the place. Fish pounds some China, Trey bends some more, some BALMS are crashing down and...BAM! They SLAM right into the outro section like a stick a buttah! Killin' it! A+ version.

Shack - That Bowie is then followed by my most hated cover tune. I think I went and grabbed off for about 5 minutes.

Gin - A little iffy on the composed lines...A much different feel than the Summer 'oo versions with not as much boogie. It still flows rather nicely, tho, with a bunch of movement by Mike. There is an OK peak and a full return to the Gin theme. Then comes the "space jam." I thought they were somehow trying to replicate the jam from their last Albany show. This jam and the space that comes before the 10-10-1999 YEM are somewhat similar. Check what I'm talking about.

Hero - This one actually SHRAGES but doesn't feature my brother in a light up blackjack dealer visor spilling beer all over the place. That was '99.

Fire - Cool cap to the first show.

Some real meat in here and a lot of tunes.
I give it a weaker B+.
a

mbw

I
mellow mood - awesome.  what a great way to start a show.  played real well too.

limb - huge limb here.  this jam really launches into the stratosphere.  good stuff.

ghost - smooth intro and good composed section, into another huge jam.  mike and fish have a ser groove going on, and trey rips over it.  pages is no slouch either, switchin up between the piano and organ.  numerous crowd eruptions that gave me the chills.  beautiful ending as well.  awesome ghost.

bouncin - nice little cool down.

horse/silent - trey jumps right into the lyrics, which is cool with me cause he usually makes a mess of the intro for some reason.  page almost jumps the gun as well and then they all take turns fuckin this one up.  not the best horse/silent tonight.

saw it again - luv it.  dark and dirty version with fish? screamin.

nicu - strange flow going on, but ok

glide - another strange choice since they have been having some trouble with compositions so far...and this is no different.  some rough stuff.  fish seems to really want to change up his usual playing tonight, and its not working.

taste - another good jam, some cool effects from trey over pages piano.

gogli - played well

II
birds - alotta notes, not many good ones though

windora bug - good times!

bowie - sweet uber long intro.  turns into a rager with some nice building and crashing and a spot on breakdown to end it.  nice psychedelic bowie.

chicken shack - a little long for my taste here.  would work in a smokey blues bar however.

gin - love when trey mimics his guitar lines vocally, though he doesnt keep it up for long.  good shuffle from the rhythm section with fish dancin on his ride. nice gin.

vacuum space - outta nowhere and very cool.  put me in a very serene and peaceful mindset on the 7am bus to work.  unique.

0 - not the hardest rockin zero ever.

E

fire - fun encore.

good show despite some iffy composed sections.  B/B+
thanks for the show and my apologies for the late reply.

Quote« Last Edit: November 04, 2009, 04:52:00 pm by %morrison »
lol

blatboom

My 6th show.  I was not feeling it at all during this first set and it wasn't until after the fact I realized how much I love it.

Set I:

Mellow Mood - indeed.  I'd guess about 0 people called this and it's played very well to open the last truely solid tour ever.

Limb x Limb - interesting to see some comments not digging the placement.  for me, right here is The perfect spot for a Limb (don't get me wrong, I like how we all see things differently)  anyway I'm a fan of Limb and this one is hot with a great peak.

Ghost - no loops to start which I think sets the tone for an upbeat Ghost.  I love those chords Trey hits right after the final vocals and the crowd reaction to that.  once things settle down a bit the loops do make their appearance which I'm all for.  but this Ghost is pretty much full-on rock and it's one of my faves.

Bouncing - works great before or after a big jam

The Horse>Silent - love this right here and the "just last year" line feels especially poignant to me.. not the tightest version ever but still good

I Saw It Again - OK I confess I have some weird affinity for this particular version of this song.  it's five minutes of pure rock Phish-style and I just love it.  the way Fish kicks it off, the vocals, the heavy jam with Trey crushing it (that lick at 3:33 to be exact).. all the while Fish just wailing over top of everything.  the Vegas version feels tame by comparison.  it's even followed up with a "thank you", so there.

NICU - Trey struggles with his guitar lines throughout but it's a fun number keeping the crowd happy.

Glide - Glide bookends the tour which I think is pretty sweet.  not the best but I feel like the heavy section gets a boost from the previous Saw it Again (that's right)

Axilla - more songs!  killer Axilla and the II ending seals the deal for me.

Taste - even though they already played Limb.  this one takes a second to get going but it eventually comes together in a big way.

Golgi - something had to close the set and it may as well be Golgi.

Set II:

Birds - I was all-in by the time this set rolled around and was strangely really wanting to hear Birds so I went apeshit when this started even though it was my 3rd Birds opener in 6 shows.  and this jam smokes.

Windora Bug - cool tune right here.  nothing the band needed to play often but I love the vocals.  Hershey is indeed better but this one came first

David Bowie - the tension that builds during the 5 (five!) minute high-hat section is really something.. luckily they nail the drop!  I love how this jam starts out so so much, it's the ideal Bowie sound to me.  from there it's just a chill jam that slowly and perfectly builds towards as good an outro you could hope for.  wow.   

Chicken Shack - guess this is meant to serve as a cool down but it's more of a drain than anything

Bathtub Gin - late in the game comes a Gin.  mellow but very cool jam gives way to the Gin theme to wrap it up

>Jam - after Gin we're treated to some nice ambient sounds.. and lo! a little vacuum action from Fish mid-jam as Trey slides over to the drum kit.  pretty fucking sweet.

Character Zer0 - my fourth Zero set closer in 6 shows, yuk!  it was a long time until I was able to fully enjoy this but I do now.

E:

Fire - first Fire in over a year.  not one of my favorites but it's a good capper to a fun show.

I think I'm sorta partial to 2000 seeing as that's when I fully got on board with Phish and I think I lucked out and saw some great shows that year, this being one of them.  but here are some definite quality jams mixed in with a bunch of other stuff I really like.  I SAW IT AGAIN!  B+