News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Vinyl

Started by tet, May 03, 2008, 10:59:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buffalo Budd

Quote from: mattstick on February 03, 2020, 10:06:41 AM

Just picked up a Pro-Ject Tube Box S for a pretty cheap price ($185 shipped), anyone else use tubes in their phono stage?

I do occasionally but wish I had splurged on a higher end tube amp.
The project gets decent reviews for the price range.
Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

mattstick

I've spent $185 on much less useful things than a Tube Phono Pre... I really like the look of the Pro-Ject Tube Box DS2, but it's $1K
https://planetofsoundonline.com/products/pro-ject-tube-box-ds

I looked into some vintage solutions but couldn't really settle on anything.

August

I have the same pre, Matt.
It's excellent for rolling, especially since you've got it at a steal ;)
I've bought matching Mullards and Telefunkens, but NOS Sylvania JHS 12AX7 are so perfect and ~$60 for a set.
A have a 1955 pair right now.

https://www.thetubestore.com/

Caravan2001

Quote from: jam> on February 03, 2020, 11:54:17 AM
I just got it 5 months ago, so I don't know. At some point, when something breaks or sounds off, I'm going to get it serviced by this guy, who lives down the street from me: https://www.blackiepagano.com/

Nice, I used to use Blackie for all of my amp rebuilds/repairs (20 years ago when he was on Ludlow).  He's expensive but he really know his stuff.  That's why all the big boys use him.  Dropped off a '55 Gibson there once and when I came back there was a note from GE Smith asking me to name my price lol.  Blackie dialed a bunch of my stuff.  Good dude.

Caravan2001

Quote from: mattstick on February 03, 2020, 10:06:41 AM

Just picked up a Pro-Ject Tube Box S for a pretty cheap price ($185 shipped), anyone else use tubes in their phono stage?

I'm using a solid state now for my MC cartridge but I have a tube pre I used to use for my MM cart.  Tubes are great.  I'd use the link Aug posted if you're thinking of switching out.  It can also be a pretty inexpensive upgrade.  I called Needle Doctor and they recommended a set of Mullard's that really smoothed out my sounds and it didn't cost too much (maybe $100, prob like $75).

August

It's just more worm hole stuff to go down...

jam>

Quote from: Caravan2001 on February 03, 2020, 08:55:59 PM
Nice, I used to use Blackie for all of my amp rebuilds/repairs (20 years ago when he was on Ludlow).  He's expensive but he really know his stuff.  That's why all the big boys use him.  Dropped off a '55 Gibson there once and when I came back there was a note from GE Smith asking me to name my price lol.  Blackie dialed a bunch of my stuff.  Good dude.

Small world. Seems like a good dude!

jam>

Quote from: August on February 04, 2020, 06:33:55 AM
It's just more worm hole stuff to go down...

Exactly. I've got tubes to buy, and I've found myself soldering caps on old speakers as of late.

mattstick

Quote from: Caravan2001 on January 30, 2020, 06:34:14 PM
Quote from: mattstick on January 22, 2020, 09:07:57 PM

Release Schedule

Art Blakey - "Moanin' SRX - January
John Coltrane - "Blue Train" SRX - January
Lee Morgan - "Search for the New Land" SRX - February
Hank Mobley - "Soul Station" SRX - February
Grant Green - "Idle Moments" SRX - March
Herbie Hancock - "Maiden Voyage" SRX - March
Lee Morgan - "The Sidewinder" SRX - April
Cannonball Adderley - "Somethin' Else" SRX - April
Wayne Shorter - "Speak No Evil" SRX - May
Kenny Burrell - " Midnight Blue" SRX - May

Honestly I might buy them all, fuck having money.

Welp, the Blue Train showed up and holy cow.  Had a near religious experience last night listening to it.  Come home from the Blazer game, hit  the pen and cranked it through the Grados.  Sounds amazing.  The cymbals and the trumpet are unreal.  It's so silent, even in the lead in and run out.  Just dead silent even loud on the headphones.  I can only really compare it to the one One-Step I have (Dylan).  SO stoked on it, I never thought I would think a $75 record was a bargain lol.  And, both January releases are sold out.  I am getting Search for the New Land for sure.  Might pass on the Mobley since I have the BN75, but that's not a great pressing (and from digital source) so...Other than that, 100% on Maiden Voyage (my OGs are chewed) as is my Sidewinder.  Who knows, maybe I'll start flipping my OGs to feed this habit.  They really sound sick.

Moanin' and Blue Train came yesterday and I'm just sitting down to listen now. They really nailed these, no noise floor, phenomenal stereo image, perfect RVG sound.

I think both are back in stock now. Don't miss out.

Hicks

Nice! Grabbed the Blue Train this time, stoked!
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

Hicks

Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

mistercharlie

Yeah, that doesn't sound good.  :shakehead:
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

Caravan2001

Quote from: Hicks on February 06, 2020, 01:22:34 AM

Ha, meant to text you that. Glad you got one.  It will be one of the 10 best sounding records in your collection.  So good.

mattstick

Moanin' is back in stock too.

Quote from: Hicks on February 07, 2020, 04:36:24 PM
Well this is not good: 

https://www.pitchfork.com/news/devastating-manufacturing-plant-fire-threatens-worldwide-vinyl-record-supply/amp/

It's interesting to see the different opinions on how this will affect the industry.  Seems like most of the high quality mastering shops use the lacquers made in Japan.

I suspect we'll see the effects of this by BF RSD and into Christmas, and it will mostly affect new titles.

Look for the majors to make up the difference in reissues of material where they have existing lacquers/stampers.

susep

Quote from: Hicks on February 06, 2020, 01:22:34 AM

same.  Eyeing Tina Brooks and Andrew Hill as well although they are pricey.