News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Last Movie You Watched.

Started by converse29, August 12, 2006, 10:13:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gah

Quote from: tet on November 07, 2018, 09:34:53 AM
watched Three Identical Strangers last week, what a fucking crazy ass movie.  do yourselves a favor and watch this - it's really well done, and a fascinating story.

I heard this movie was nuts, and leaves you angry. I chose not to watch it.

And Free Solo looks like it'll be good too.

I saw Mid 90's recently. Throwback to the days of skating and listening to old school hip hop, which at the time was just called rap.  :hereitisyousentimentalbastard Funny to think that the time we grew up in is long ago enough now that there's movie reminiscing that time period.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.

khalpin

Quote from: gah on November 08, 2018, 03:54:46 PM
watched Three Identical Strangers last week, what a fucking crazy ass movie.  do yourselves a favor and watch this - it's really well done, and a fascinating story.

I saw Mid 90's recently. Throwback to the days of skating and listening to old school hip hop, which at the time was just called rap.  :hereitisyousentimentalbastard Funny to think that the time we grew up in is long ago enough now that there's movie reminiscing that time period.
Wait a minute, it's not called rap anymore?

gah

Quote from: khalpin on November 08, 2018, 04:24:20 PM

:hereitisyousentimentalbastard I'm just saying, in '92 we weren't calling what we were listening to old school, it was just rap.

Funny story, not to sidetrack the thread, the other day I had to ask this young person that works for me what trap rap was....and the girls had a good laugh at how old I was. They proceeded to ask me if I knew what "dope" meant, as in "that shit was dope"or did I need that explained, too?  :shakehead:

:hereitisyousentimentalbastard
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.

Buffalo Budd

Quote from: gah on November 08, 2018, 04:55:18 PM
Quote from: khalpin on November 08, 2018, 04:24:20 PM

:hereitisyousentimentalbastard I'm just saying, in '92 we weren't calling what we were listening to old school, it was just rap.

Funny story, not to sidetrack the thread, the other day I had to ask this young person that works for me what trap rap was....and the girls had a good laugh at how old I was. They proceeded to ask me if I knew what "dope" meant, as in "that shit was dope"or did I need that explained, too?  :shakehead:

:hereitisyousentimentalbastard

Reminds me of when I had to look up emo rap.
I'll never get that minute back.
Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

VDB

Is this still Wombat?

PIE-GUY

Obviously, I have not seen it yet - but the newest Harmony Korine flick looks fucking awesome!!

I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

mbw

Mandy (2018)

What a fucking bizarre movie.  Essentially a revenge movie starring Nick Cage is his most over the top performance yet, which actually is perfect for the movie.  He goes up agaisnt a LSD fueled cult and a demonic biker gang.  A great score with blown out colors and visuals seal it's awesomeness.  I loved it.

eta: one should probably be really high to watch it, not that I have to tell you degenerates that.

cactusfan

Quote from: mbw on January 26, 2019, 10:43:57 PM

Mandy (2018)

What a fucking bizarre movie.  Essentially a revenge movie starring Nick Cage is his most over the top performance yet, which actually is perfect for the movie.  He goes up agaisnt a LSD fueled cult and a demonic biker gang.  A great score with blown out colors and visuals seal it's awesomeness.  I loved it.

eta: one should probably be really high to watch it, not that I have to tell you degenerates that.

Yeah, that one was pretty fun.

The director is the son of director George P. Cosmatos, whom you know as the man who made the Stallone movies Rambo: First Blood part 2 and Cobra.

You might like the director's previous movie, Beyond the Black Rainbow, which is all about tripping you out. It's something to see, even if it has its shortcomings. I can tell you all about the good and bad of it here:
www.standbyformindcontrol.com/2018/02/beyond-the-black-rainbow-way-up-high-which-is-what-you-are-if-youre-watching-beyond-the-black-rainbow/

cactusfan

Also on Netflix, there's this movie called The Night Comes for Us, which stars the guy from the Raid movies. This one is also Indonesian, but a different director. It's packed with insanely choreographed fight sequences. It's nuts. If you know the Raid, you get the idea, but the difference here is that the director is a horror movie guy, so it's not just people fighting with fists and feet, they've all got knives and whatnot, and cut each other to pieces. It's pretty outrageously gory. Like a zombie movie at times, almost. So, yeah. If you like that sort of thing, you'll like this thing.

cactusfan

And in case you're looking for a recap of 2018's movies, or at any rate all the ones I saw, here's some brain meanderings on the topic. Might give you a few ideas, anyway...

www.standbyformindcontrol.com/2019/02/the-best-movies-of-2018-and-a-bunch-more-besides/

mbw

Quote from: cactusfan on February 06, 2019, 06:24:57 PM
And in case you're looking for a recap of 2018's movies, or at any rate all the ones I saw, here's some brain meanderings on the topic. Might give you a few ideas, anyway...

www.standbyformindcontrol.com/2019/02/the-best-movies-of-2018-and-a-bunch-more-besides/

I was getting excited reading through your top 8, wondering what was going to be #1...and then....ooof.
What a kick in the dick that was.

gainesvillegreen

Reminds me I do need to see First Reformed.

Went and saw Cold War on Monday night, really enjoyed it. I've been able to see Shoplifters and, of course, Roma, in the past 2-3 weeks. Hopefully going to see Capernaum in the next two weeks. Very much enjoy Indianapolis having one of these Landmark Theatre venues, they do pretty well with bringing the foreign language movies through.

But, as I was saying, Cold War. Terrific, the female lead is just incredible, she has so many facets on display, and incredible control of each. It's gone a little under the radar in the reviews I've read, but the music is outstanding. Polish countryside folk/traditional, Chopin, post-war jazz Paris style, state sanctioned propaganda type fare, cabaret, early rock and roll. It is in all truth the third character of the movie, it wouldn't work without it. Highly recommended.

Edit to add: Also wanted to recommend to anyone who likes foreign language film, from all eras, the Film Movement+ app. It is a subscription service, I think $5/month, but they have a really good rotating list of foreign films both new and old. Much better than either Netflix or Amazon Prime (although the latter is decent).
Dysfunction and itemized lists of people's failures are where it's at.

cactusfan

Quote from: mbw on February 06, 2019, 08:07:42 PM
Quote from: cactusfan on February 06, 2019, 06:24:57 PM

I was getting excited reading through your top 8, wondering what was going to be #1...and then....ooof.
What a kick in the dick that was.

If I haven't kicked at least one person in the dick, have I really done my job?
But c'mon, that movie was kinda great. Or am I crazy? Better than any of that Marvel live-action crap they've been shoveling for a decade.

Quote from: gainesvillegreen on February 06, 2019, 10:08:19 PM
Reminds me I do need to see First Reformed.

Went and saw Cold War on Monday night, really enjoyed it. I've been able to see Shoplifters and, of course, Roma, in the past 2-3 weeks. Hopefully going to see Capernaum in the next two weeks. Very much enjoy Indianapolis having one of these Landmark Theatre venues, they do pretty well with bringing the foreign language movies through.

But, as I was saying, Cold War. Terrific, the female lead is just incredible, she has so many facets on display, and incredible control of each. It's gone a little under the radar in the reviews I've read, but the music is outstanding. Polish countryside folk/traditional, Chopin, post-war jazz Paris style, state sanctioned propaganda type fare, cabaret, early rock and roll. It is in all truth the third character of the movie, it wouldn't work without it. Highly recommended.

Edit to add: Also wanted to recommend to anyone who likes foreign language film, from all eras, the Film Movement+ app. It is a subscription service, I think $5/month, but they have a really good rotating list of foreign films both new and old. Much better than either Netflix or Amazon Prime (although the latter is decent).

Definitely planning to see Cold War. Might just be lazy and wait till it arrives on Amazon, which I guess is soon, since they paid for it.

barnesy305

Quote from: cactusfan on January 27, 2019, 03:38:10 AM
Also on Netflix, there's this movie called The Night Comes for Us, which stars the guy from the Raid movies. This one is also Indonesian, but a different director. It's packed with insanely choreographed fight sequences. It's nuts. If you know the Raid, you get the idea, but the difference here is that the director is a horror movie guy, so it's not just people fighting with fists and feet, they've all got knives and whatnot, and cut each other to pieces. It's pretty outrageously gory. Like a zombie movie at times, almost. So, yeah. If you like that sort of thing, you'll like this thing.

I saw this at Fantastic Fest this year, it was one of my favorites.

ytowndan

Burning

Highly recommended!  I won't say much about the plot, because I think it's best to go in knowing as little as possible, but I will say that it's a pretty smart thriller that takes its time establishing a certain tone and atmosphere.  And then, at about its halfway point, it turns into a relatively fast-paced mystery/thriller that resists spelling every little thing out for you, though I believe it's (mostly) all there for you to put together. 
Quote from: nab on July 27, 2007, 12:20:24 AM
You never drink alone when you have something good to listen to.