News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

new wiki

Started by guyforget, April 05, 2006, 12:14:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

August

jephrey

Ok, I've got to stop...  I'm going to get in trouble here at work.

I made another category called "CategoryTemplates" which will contain all the templates.  I made the first template for show pages.  And they work a lot different here than in the last place.  Basically, you go to the template, hit the link to clone the page and it lets you type in a new name.  Basically you can clone any page just by typing "/clone" at the end of its web address.  This will work well with shows from the same venue, similar dates, etc.

What's cool is you can put code in the pages.  We'll have to work on that with polls and such for show ratings or maybe source comparisons.  All major languages are in there.  Any of you guys good with php?  I'm ok at VB, but I need a good example to get started doing it here.  Also allows html code, which means we can have some really cool pages. 

the template is unfinished, so let's get that done first. 

Some review, and a suggestion.  I say we go with -> instead of the arrow (for text file manipulation and such.  Plus it's less coding, and it's in line with the other >)  That arrow is placed outside the brackets around the song name like such

01. [[Name]] >
or
01. [[Name]] ->

Also, the show notes will be a bulleted list(I gotta go back and look at that again).  then I forgot what else, the stub (we'll have to figure a way to upload the images), link to the database, link to a search at etree, there's a comments section where people can add comments so that's kind of like the old "discussion" page.  And finally, as you can see, it has to have the Category so it shows up under that category when browsing.

I'll continue on that template.  thoughts?

Jephrey
There are 10 types of people in this world.  Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

August

:?

i swear i will get the hang of it......  :-)
a

jephrey

Well, this kinda stinks, but maybe it's ok.  More typing but then page names don't have to have symbols for spaces and stuff.  With these wikinames it's weird.  If there's a space in the song name, whatever is before the first space is the page name(which can't contain symbols spaces etc) and the second part is what you want it to say.

01. [[FirstTube First Tube]]
02. [[MikesSong Mike's Song]]
03. [[IAmHydrogen I Am Hydrogen]]
04. [[WeekapaugGroove Weekapaug Groove]]
05. [[Fee]]
06. [[BathtubGin Bathtub Gin]]
07. [[Glide]]
08. [[MySoul My Soul]]
There are 10 types of people in this world.  Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

August

10-7-00.
i see what youre saying.
and i would assume it would be the standard break
 after those.....
a

jephrey

actually no.  it does do that better.  I had forgotten that until you mentioned it.

no
 needed anywhere. 

Aside from the WikiName thing, I like this better than the old one.  And I don't think the wikiname thing is that big a deal.

Jephrey

August

thats actually alot easier then.

i think we should take each year and work on the set first i.e......
first tube
mikes
hydrogen
go year by year until we have all the sets entered in list form.

then go back and do them
first tube, mikes, hydrogen........

then we will at least, have a real solid foundation.
then we can go back and make links for songs or years etc....

i think we we do each thing one at a time, we will be a tad more
focused and the project, as a whole, will not seem so overwhelming.....

whadda ya think?
a

jephrey

Are you suggesting that under the show, the setlist would be written twice?  Once as a list and once in paragraph form?  I guess we did that before, but we did all the paragraph form ones on a single page and just had a slew of links at the top to pull you down to the right entry.  they were also corss-linked to the actual show's page.  I liked that.  I'm cool with just putting text in, and maybe there's a cool find and replace thing we could use to change them later.  Like make up a table and put everything in it. 

My personal hope is to get a good format down earlier on rather than just enter stuff, but we can work both ways.  Maybe I can work on the final pre-hiatus tour and related pages to try and nail down a format, while the rest of you do as you say with just data-entry?  I'd like to tweak and work on this one show 2000-10-07 until we're all happy with it and its format.  Also I'd like to start the year and tour pages and a couple song pages (as we had last time) just to get the initial format/idea down.  Then I can work on manipulating the data that you enter.  Maybe even like an assembly line.  Then we can kind of do both at once and things may seem really easy.

Just thinking out loud.

I got an email from groovy and he's fired up, hopefully he and phan can get in here soon and start expressing with their full capabilities 8-)

Jephrey

August

are we just waiting for guyforget to give them access?

but yeah, i was talking about the two setlists we were entering.
the one that appeared on the year page where you can scroll down (like mockingbird) and then the page in list form where you can view each show individually (which actaully contains all the stats, debuts "jams" etc)

once we all get here, we will discuss furthur.
really, whatever you, jedi and myself says goes!  :-D
joseph august

jephrey

yeah, drop the hammer and rule with the iron fist.

Actually, the year page had the shows listed down the right hand side(as links), no setlists.  It was more of an overall page and very similar to the tour page which contained similar information but tour related.  There was a "setlists" page that contained all the setlists in paragraph format which is what you're talking about.  At the top there were year "links" that would make the page scroll down to that year.  It's all coming back to me.  So we'll need to create that "Setlists" page.

I think these parts were all discussed in the past, and I for one am cool with keeping them the way they were.  Unless anyone has a dissenting opinion, I say we keep that format.

As for entering them, like you said is fine with me, but I also like the idea of having a team enter the physical data and start the pages, then another team format them.  After getting through 2000, we can get the formatting for some other pages down, and open up entry to a few other people.  I think this is pretty close to what you're saying we do.

But cool.

J

August

jephrey

We also need the ability to upload to the wiki (ticket stubs!)  We could link to PT, butif they go down, we're screwed.  We can always get ones that we don't have from there and load them over to the wiki.

I found how to do it but I don't have that kind of access

Warning: mkdir(uploads): Permission denied in /var/www/wiki/actions/files.php on line 11

Warning: opendir(uploads/Stubs): failed to open dir: No such file or directory in /var/www/wiki/actions/files.php on line 155

Warning: readdir(): supplied argument is not a valid Directory resource in /var/www/wiki/actions/files.php on line 156

Warning: closedir(): supplied argument is not a valid Directory resource in /var/www/wiki/actions/files.php on line 199

Hmmmph.

guyforget

phan003 and groovy should be in the wiki group now. 

Your 2000-10-07 page looks really good, Jeff. 

From my little experience with this wiki I do like it better than MediaWiki, aside from the WikiName thing... 

Ill take a look at that uploads problem now too. 
-AD_

jephrey

Actually, there are some things I like better, but I'm now running into some issues with the flexibility of the thing.  I really can't  even just tell a piece of text to be right justified, or keep it on the same line right after another piece of formatted text.  It's like a header always denotes a carriage return.  There are things that are more flexible, but they're not things that we'll use (if we want to keep it simpler).  The formatting documentation is for crap too.  I suppose the best thing to do is check out other sites that use the wikka and see if they have anything.  Maybe the documentation is just bad and I have to look somewhere else.  The MediaWiki was good because it had extensive instructions.  Oh well, once everyone gets in, we'll discuss it further.

I do like the look so far though.

Oh, that's the thing.  I have to be able to link to a specific header on a page.  I liked that in mediawiki.  I hope it's that flexible and I just have to figure it out.

Thanks for adding those dudes.  I'll let them know.

J

August

i will scan all of my brother's stubs that i dont have in png format, for whenever we get to that.
a