News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Outside of the GD and Phish your next three favorite concerts

Started by Superfreakie, November 22, 2009, 09:21:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PIE-GUY

I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

Hicks

Over a mill estimated attendance at this Stones show in Rio.

Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

PIE-GUY

sophist

Pat Metheny trio- Caught them last year and it was simply amazing.  I was completely sober and I left the venue with my face melted and mind blown. 

Wilco- Caught them a few summers ago and they were amazing.  The sound was perfect, and I had 15th row seats.  Detailed review can be found here. 

Radiohead-  Simply amazing live.  Another night where my mind was blown. 
Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

Gol D. Roger

Still haven't seen a phish show, but anyway:

Pearl Jam - Berlin 2006: Beatiful summer day in berlin, great venue, great vibe, meet lots of nice people. and of course excellent playing by the band and a great setlist.
Pearl Jam - Berlin 2009: see 2006

Sigur Ros  - Southside Festival 2009: Lying in the grass and listening to the band play with the sunset as background = priceless. The next and last band that played that day was Radiohead and they just destroyed everyhing.

Keith Caputo in a small "underground" club with approximately 50 people in attendance. Very relaxed and intimate show.

Blackmail : same club, this time sold out. The tore the roof down and the jam after the final song was fucking unbelievable  :rawk: :rawk:. Unfortunately the band broke up one or two weeks after that show.

Another cool thing was seeing the german band Sportfreunde Stiller at a local festival (for free) right before the got really big /started to suck and meeting our drunk teacher in the pit.  :-D

Just realized i named more than three, sorry.  :wink:
,,Teenage Dreams, So Hard To Beat"

gah

Quote from: PIE-GUY on November 23, 2009, 09:28:37 AM

2. Stevie Wonder - Jazzfest 2008. Rain and sun intermittently throughout the set. 40,000 people of all colors and backgrounds all dancing in the rain without a care in the world. Simply amazing.

This is in my top 5 as well, although I'm debating it, because I just saw him about a month ago, and that was really top 5 too, and I don't want to put two shows from the same person i my top 5, but man, they were both just that amazing.

This is a great topic though, and requires some thought.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.

fauxpaxfauxreal

-Medeski, Martin & Wood 10/23/00, Wait Chapel, Winston-Salem, NC

First Set:  Intro > Norah 6 > Philly Cheese Blunt > We Are Rolling, Lonely Avenue, Nostalgia in Times Square/Angel Race (I'll Wait For You), Hermeto's Daydream, Manic Depression 
Second Set:  Third Stone From The Sun > Shacklyn Knights, Brigas Nunca Mais > Partido Alto, Mercy Mercy Mercy, Big Time, Jelly Belly, Afrique, Note Bleu, Chubb Sub 
Encore:  Crosstown Traffic 

This show was the "release party" for the album, "The Dropper".  The year 2000 to MMW fans is kind of what the year 1995 is to Phish fans.  The fall/winter 2000 tour especially, is hot, hot, hot!  The Wait Chapel at Wake Forest University was a most majestic setting for this band.  The Wait Chapel itself, is a modern gothic chapel used on Sunday's for Wake Forest's Baptist Worship.  A week prior to this show, Gore and Bush totally debated on the same stage that the band would play on.  This show stands out as one of those "perfect" concert experiences.  From the gothic pews, that we were sitting, and dancing in, to the awesome song selection (Norah 6?!?! Wut?!?!?  1 out of 6 performances of the song evar!!?!?!?) to the killer acoustics, to the fantastic crowd.  This show will always go down in my book as the MOST KILLER MMW SHOW EVAR.  Many people are familiar with the Shacklyn throwdown that MMW gave everyone on Halloween, a short week and a day ever, but this show kicks that show in the nuts, imo.  For real, listen to the second set, and by the time Chubb Sub lays it's sickly thick bass groove on your ear drums, you'll be grinning from ear to ear.  Man.  This was a great experience.

2.  Bob Dylan in 2001 at the Burrus Auditorium at Virginia Tech.

Bob Dylan, in a small auditorium, still playing guitar and hot on the heels of Time out of Mind?  Saw him play Things Have Changed.  Saw him play Desolation Row.  Everything was precise, everything sounded perfect.  I have since retired from seeing Bob Dylan, as at the end of this show, I knew I would never be able to see another Bob Dylan show that would match the majesty of this show.   From the reviews and setlists of seen of other shows, I was totally right.
Here's the setlist...yes...he double encored.

Oh Babe, It Ain't No Lie (acoustic)
Mr. Tambourine Man (acoustic) (Bob on harp)
Desolation Row (acoustic)
Down In The Flood
Tryin' To Get To Heaven
Watching The River Flow (Larry on steel guitar)
It's All Over Now, Baby Blue (acoustic) (Larry on pedal steel guitar)
Tangled Up In Blue (acoustic)
One Too Many Mornings (acoustic)(Bob on harp and Larry on pedal steel)
Searching For A Soldier's Grave (acoustic) (Larry on mandolin)
(song by Johnnie Wright, Jim Anglin and Jack Anglin)
Drifter's Escape (Bob on harp)
Leopard-Skin Pill-Box Hat
(1st encore)

Things Have Changed
Like A Rolling Stone
If Dogs Run Free (acoustic) (Larry and Charlie on electric guitars)
All Along The Watchtower (Larry on steel guitar)
Knockin' On Heaven's Door (acoustic) (Charlie on electric guitar)
Highway 61 Revisited
Blowin' In The Wind (acoustic)
(2nd encore)

Rainy Day Women #12 & 35 (Larry on steel guitar)

#3-As others have mentioned-Lollapalooza 1994.  Simply amazing.  The surprise stand out performance that I saw was Green Day.  They only played 35 minutes, but it was totally bad ass.  Eye of the tiger and everything.  During the Beastie Boys show, people were being tossed in the air on blankets, and bonfires broke out all over the lawn.  As soon as security put out one bonfire, another erupted into flames.  I was actually kind of happy that Nirvana dropped out (my bad Kurdt, rip, bruh), because I was a huge Pumpkins fan at the time, and I totally loved the 15 minute version of "Silverfuck" that we got that night.  This was an amazing lineup, faux shaux.

Superfreakie

Quote from: rowjimmy on November 23, 2009, 08:10:26 AM
Still need a ruling on this before I can answer...

Quote from: rowjimmy on November 22, 2009, 02:17:07 PM
Do Jerry Garcia Band and Trey shows count?

The answer was in the second sentence of the first post of this thread which I have quoted for you below....I assumed that the names inferred their respective solo bands but to eliminate further confusion, add "band" after the name Trey and Jerry and "and friends" after Phil.  :lol:

Quote from: Superfreakie on November 22, 2009, 09:21:20 AM
This is specifically about your top three to five concerts attended, not counting a Dead or Phish show (including Jerry, Trey Phil ect..)
Que te vaya bien, que te vaya bien, Te quiero más que las palabras pueden decir.

Superfreakie

1. Paul Simon's Concert in Central Park - 1991. This was one of the greatest days of my life. We had my whole family plus a bunch of friends with us. We were in the park by 9am so we got pretty close. It set in motion my love for live music that will never cease.

Quote from: slslbs on November 23, 2009, 10:40:21 AM
reminds me - Simon and Garfunkle, Central Park 1982?
similar story to PG's Paul Simon - went with a bunch of friends, hung out in the Park all day, mad a lot of friends when we brought a few pizza's in for dinner. Very good show, great vibe all day, the human river stopped traffic on the East Side as we were leaving. Probably the largest, most orderly crowd I have ever been a part of.

You two lucky folks. I would give my left testicle to have seen the 1991 concert. My right one would have already been given for the one in 1982. 1982 in my top list of greatest concerts ever played....
Que te vaya bien, que te vaya bien, Te quiero más que las palabras pueden decir.

Superfreakie

Quote from: AntelopeFreeway on November 23, 2009, 12:18:51 PM
The Police - Austin '83 Synchronicity Tour with UB40 opening for them.  Outdoor venue with a great full moon for "Walking On The Moon"

Another tour I would of loved to have seen but I have no more testicles to give, so let's say I would give my small toe.

rowjimmy

Quote from: Superfreakie on November 23, 2009, 08:55:22 PM
Quote from: rowjimmy on November 23, 2009, 08:10:26 AM
Still need a ruling on this before I can answer...

Quote from: rowjimmy on November 22, 2009, 02:17:07 PM
Do Jerry Garcia Band and Trey shows count?

The answer was in the second sentence of the first post of this thread which I have quoted for you below....I assumed that the names inferred their respective solo bands but to eliminate further confusion, add "band" after the name Trey and Jerry and "and friends" after Phil.  :lol:

Quote from: Superfreakie on November 22, 2009, 09:21:20 AM
This is specifically about your top three to five concerts attended, not counting a Dead or Phish show (including Jerry, Trey Phil ect..)

But a JGB show is NOT a Grateful Dead show...

Anyway... I don't have an answer to this thread.

Caravan2001

Quote from: Superfreakie on November 23, 2009, 09:12:18 PM
1. Paul Simon's Concert in Central Park - 1991. This was one of the greatest days of my life. We had my whole family plus a bunch of friends with us. We were in the park by 9am so we got pretty close. It set in motion my love for live music that will never cease.

similar story to PG's Paul Simon - went with a bunch of friends, hung out in the Park all day, mad a lot of friends when we brought a few pizza's in for dinner. Very good show, great vibe all day, the human river stopped traffic on the East Side as we were leaving. Probably the largest, most orderly crowd I have ever been a part of.

You two lucky folks. I would give my left testicle to have seen the 1991 concert. My right one would have already been given for the one in 1982. 1982 in my top list of greatest concerts ever played....

Nice-- didn't see SLS's post, but I "attended" the Central Park show, which was in '81 actually.  I put "attended" because my parents lived on Central Park at that time and we were able to scope it all from our balcony.  They put attendance at 500K, it was massive, and I had a birds eye view...Don't honestly remember if we could hear it or not, doubt it though, but we saw it for sure......Great concert and well documented in the movie...

WhatstheUse?

Bring in the dude!

PIE-GUY

Quote from: WhatstheUse? on November 23, 2009, 11:55:52 PM
Quote from: PIE-GUY on November 23, 2009, 12:20:45 PM
This shows you where we were...

I think I can see you!

"You were at Woodstock? I was at Woodstock!"

"Yeah? I thought you looked familiar."

-from Parenthood (a great flick)

sls.stormyrider

Quote from: caravan2001 on November 23, 2009, 09:56:00 PM
Quote from: Superfreakie on November 23, 2009, 09:12:18 PM

Nice-- didn't see SLS's post, but I "attended" the Central Park show, which was in '81 actually.  I put "attended" because my parents lived on Central Park at that time and we were able to scope it all from our balcony.  They put attendance at 500K, it was massive, and I had a birds eye view...Don't honestly remember if we could hear it or not, doubt it though, but we saw it for sure......Great concert and well documented in the movie...

you should've come down - I would have given you some of our pizza

(right - it was 81. I'm getting old and senile)
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."