News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

R4/W06: 09-17-2000 Merriweather Post Pavilion, Columbia, MD

Started by blatboom, August 04, 2008, 06:33:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

blatboom

Quote from: mattstick on August 18, 2008, 08:49:41 PM

There is a nice Oktavia FOB source out there of this one too.

I've got that one also.  I did an A/B and the Neumann won out. (not knocking the Okt)

EDIT:  the SS links are still good Slim & Hicks if you wanna upgrade.

Hicks

Quote from: blatboom on August 18, 2008, 08:47:46 PM
Quote from: Hicks on August 18, 2008, 07:58:19 PM
Wow hater alert!!!!   :wink:

I agree with you on the recording quality, my B&K copy is kinda muddy. 

yall shoulda grabbed them Neumanns!

Don't sweat it Slim.  Win some, lose some  :-D

I A/B'd the Neumanns and the B&K came out on top, at least I think it did, whichever audio was slightly better is what I kept so who knows. . .

but uhhh, long story short I have both and wasn't that happy with either as both sounded kinda muffled. 
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

Hicks

Quote from: caravan2001 on August 18, 2008, 08:44:16 PM
haha...my buddy (Hicks) doesn't run this thing, he just thinks he does!  :-D

And I wanna come check out your new place too- congrats!

LOL!
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

GBL

i decided to switch it up for the second set and try these on for size

SET II

RnR - when this one takes off mike is in the lead! trey comes back around the 7:00 mark and throws down..
GREAT jam evolves around the 12 min mark ~ ~ ~ ~ gets very spacey flows quietly into -->

Theme - finally settles into something i like around 8:30 ~ ~ ~ ~ -->

Log - i like how these 1st three tunes flow nicely into each other -->

Mango - i would take the time to get a bowl ready here, not thinking much of what may come.. and then they
fly far far away.. mike settles into a nice groove.. gets way 'out there' at around the 5 min mark in the jam
again flows nicely into -->

Free - my fav part of this song is mikes bass line, i like how he leaves space between his notes, so its almost
like your bouncin against the walls in a room :P very solid version

Contact/Top - seems as though ppl dont really dif this encore too much? i thought it was a great way to end
this show even if it is a little standard

highlights for this guy were def the jam out of RnR and the post-mango jam with both getting way 'out' there
this one was still new to me and quite enjoyed the vibe i got from listening

B+/A-

If this is love, I'm never going home..

Hicks

Quote from: GBL on August 19, 2008, 05:05:02 PM

i decided to switch it up for the second set and try these on for size

SET II

RnR - when this one takes off mike is in the lead! trey comes back around the 7:00 mark and throws down..
GREAT jam evolves around the 12 min mark ~ ~ ~ ~ gets very spacey flows quietly into -->

Theme - finally settles into something i like around 8:30 ~ ~ ~ ~ -->

Log - i like how these 1st three tunes flow nicely into each other -->

Mango - i would take the time to get a bowl ready here, not thinking much of what may come.. and then they
fly far far away.. mike settles into a nice groove.. gets way 'out there' at around the 5 min mark in the jam
again flows nicely into -->

Free - my fav part of this song is mikes bass line, i like how he leaves space between his notes, so its almost
like your bouncin against the walls in a room :P very solid version

Contact/Top - seems as though ppl dont really dif this encore too much? i thought it was a great way to end
this show even if it is a little standard

highlights for this guy were def the jam out of RnR and the post-mango jam with both getting way 'out' there
this one was still new to me and quite enjoyed the vibe i got from listening

B+/A-

I thought the Contact was a bit subpar actually, how did the Oktavia sound?

VA $l!m

-I'm still walkin', so i'm sure that I can dance-

GBL

tbh im still alittle undecided.. although im leaning more towards the neumanns, there a little brighter
If this is love, I'm never going home..

rowjimmy

There's no 'i' in Oktava.
Decent Russian mics.
In Soviet Russia, the show tapes you.

ned_ryerson

This 9-17 show is a great show, especially for something from 2000.

Set I

Guyute opener is fun and exciting, while it never changes from night to night it just blazes as always. Back on the train is one that was fun and energetic, the guys definitly seemed as though they were having fun. Bathtub gin is always good, compare this track to the 9-15 show and you can see that Page has awoken from whatever funk he was in, he just was all over this tune. LimbxLimb, i have not listened to this song in a long time, and boy it was great. Moma goes right along with it, some great gems from teh late 90s. Fluffhead is where things get great right here. after all who would have thought that they would bust this out. Once it changes to the improved version it really takes off with all of the guys seeming like they are on the same page.  Ending this show with curtain and chalkdust just makes that set even better and rages to the finish.

Set II:

Rock and Roll is always a good set starter especially when they jam it out like they did here. Page really sounded liek he was having fun again.  Theme from the bottom was great, once they got going the jams ended up dark brooding and amazing. and what do we get out of it? a dog log, a dark, brooding dog log, who would have thought. Free, another song with sick guitar tones. and a great way to rage out the end of the show.

Encore:

Contact what a classic that flowed really well with the classic/current theme of this show.  Rocky Top, a raging one, they set a land speed record i believe.

over all a great show for 2k :)

(more reviews to come)
wait..what?