News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Gun Talk Re: have you heard about...?

Started by emay, July 20, 2012, 09:35:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rowjimmy

Local paper is, of course, covering this tragedy.
Notice the ad running adjacent?

PIE-GUY

Holy schnikeys... This tragic event turned Joe Scarborough around on guns. I'm at a loss for words.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/12/17/joe-scarborough-newtown-shooting_n_2315100.html

QuoteJoe Scarborough said on Monday that the massacre in Newtown had forced him to rethink his "long-held" belief about gun rights.

In a lengthy monologue, Scarborough talked about how shaken up he had been by the killing of 20 children at Sandy Hook Elementary School on Friday. He noted that his children's ages averaged that of some of the murdered victims.

"From this day forward, nothing can ever be the same again," he said. "... Let this be our true landmark ... politicians can no longer be allowed to defend the status quo."

He said that he was a "conservative Republican" who had been solidly aligned with the NRA during his time in Congress, and had previously held libertarian views on the Second Amendment. But he added that Friday "changed everything":

"I knew that day that the ideologies of my past career were no longer relevant to the future that I want, that I demand for my children. Friday changed everything. It must change everything. We all must begin anew and demand that Washington's old way of doing business is no longer acceptable. Entertainment moguls don't have an absolute right to glorify murder while spreading mayhem in young minds across America. And our Bill of Rights does not guarantee gun manufacturers the absolute right to sell military-style, high-caliber, semi-automatic combat assault rifles with high-capacity magazines to whoever the hell they want.

It is time for Congress to put children before deadly dogmas. It's time for politicians to start focusing more on protecting our schoolyards than putting together their next fundraiser. It's time for Washington to stop trying to win endless wars overseas when we're losing the war at home ... For the sake of my four children and yours, I choose life and I choose change."
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

twatts

Quote from: rowjimmy on December 17, 2012, 09:32:39 AM

To be fair, you are in Spotslyvania County...

T
Oh! That! No, no, no, you're not ready to step into The Court of the Crimson King. At this stage in your training an album like that could turn you into an evil scientist.

----------------------

I want super-human will
I want better than average skill
I want a million dollar bill
And I want it all in a Pill

rowjimmy

Quote from: twatts likes ghoti on December 17, 2012, 11:03:25 AM

T

To be clear, I do NOT live in Spotsylvania, or any county.

Also, I'll be having a word with my friend, neighbor, and the publisher of this fishwrap later this week.

PIE-GUY

Quote from: rowjimmy on December 17, 2012, 11:05:26 AM
Also, I'll be having a word with my friend, neighbor, and the publisher of this fishwrap later this week.

lulz.

twatts

T

I seemed to have touched a nerve! 

Terry
Oh! That! No, no, no, you're not ready to step into The Court of the Crimson King. At this stage in your training an album like that could turn you into an evil scientist.

----------------------

I want super-human will

rowjimmy

Quote from: twatts likes ghoti on December 17, 2012, 11:15:28 AM

T

Terry

No. But it's an important distinction.
Our city is the blue dot surrounded by red(necked) counties.

twatts

Quote from: rowjimmy on December 17, 2012, 11:39:40 AM

T

Terry

LOL!  I know, that's why I'm not at all surprised that your local paper is advertising a Tactical Christmas...

Terry

----------------------

I want super-human will

PIE-GUY

T

Terry

Sounds familiar... Austin is a blue oasis in a desert of red. Every time our idiot governor starts spouting nonsense about Texas seceding from the union we joke that South Austin will be like West Berlin. They're gonna have to fly in supplies.

gah

Quote from: PIE-GUY on December 17, 2012, 11:54:21 AM

T

Terry

Sounds familiar... Austin is a blue oasis in a desert of red. Every time our idiot governor starts spouting nonsense about Texas seceding from the union we joke that South Austin will be like West Berlin. They're gonna have to fly in supplies.

God Bless Texas.

QuoteRep. Louie Gohmert (R-Texas) told Fox News Sunday that he believed more guns are the answer to violence in schools.

"I wish to god she had had an M4 in her office," he said of Sandy Hook Elementary School principal Dawn Hochsprung, who was killed in the shooting.

Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.

shoreline99

Found out yesterday that a guy who works in an engineering office that we deal with lost a daughter in the shooting. This really sucks, and it's amazing how small this area really is. Many of the stories I keep hearing are just tragic. And brave.  :shakehead:

And the kid I mentioned that stayed home? She was in Ms. Soto's class.
Quote from: rowjimmy on August 25, 2015, 11:19:15 AM
You're entitled to your opinion but I'm going to laugh at it.

susep

Quote from: PIE-GUY on December 17, 2012, 10:49:19 AM
"I knew that day that the ideologies of my past career were no longer relevant to the future that I want, that I demand for my children. Friday changed everything. It must change everything. We all must begin anew and demand that Washington's old way of doing business is no longer acceptable. Entertainment moguls don't have an absolute right to glorify murder while spreading mayhem in young minds across America. And our Bill of Rights does not guarantee gun manufacturers the absolute right to sell military-style, high-caliber, semi-automatic combat assault rifles with high-capacity magazines to whoever the hell they want.   
It is time for Congress to put children before deadly dogmas. It's time for politicians to start focusing more on protecting our schoolyards than putting together their next fundraiser. It's time for Washington to stop trying to win endless wars overseas when we're losing the war at home ... For the sake of my four children and yours, I choose life and I choose change."
[/quote]

:clap:

aphineday

T

Terry

That's the seriously fucked part of this whole thing... it's a party debate.
No, it's not. Our kids are dying.
FUCK THE 2nd AMENDMENT. Completely.
If we could see these many waves that flow through clouds and sunken caves...

gah

I honestly don't see anything being done to change gun control laws. Or do you all believe that this was the tipping point? That for some reason, after the tragedy part is over, that THIS time the pain the country feels is enough to convince the 85 million gun owners and all powerful NRA that hey, maybe we should makes some compromises here. The NRA has been silent (on it's facebook, website, twitter, etc) since this occurred. No, I only see any changes being made if it's by their suggestion. Certainly not from the cowardly politicians that need the financial support.

We as a collective society have deemed this a reasonable amount of sacrifice to continue to allow the general public to be holders of military style assault rifles. Like someone said to me the other day, 85 millions gun owners didn't kill someone today, so uhhh, yeah, there's that.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.

aphineday

Quote from: goodabouthood on December 18, 2012, 06:23:09 PM
I honestly don't see anything being done to change gun control laws. Or do you all believe that this was the tipping point? That for some reason, after the tragedy part is over, that THIS time the pain the country feels is enough to convince the 85 million gun owners and all powerful NRA that hey, maybe we should makes some compromises here. The NRA has been silent (on it's facebook, website, twitter, etc) since this occurred. No, I only see any changes being made if it's by their suggestion. Certainly not from the cowardly politicians that need the financial support.

We as a collective society have deemed this a reasonable amount of sacrifice to continue to allow the general public to be holders of military style assault rifles. Like someone said to me the other day, 85 millions gun owners didn't kill someone today, so uhhh, yeah, there's that.
If you are right (as I suspect you are), then I guess it's time for the end. Bring on the big fucking meteor, or whatever else wipes this bullshit off the planet. We don't deserve it if that's our collective attitude.
If we could see these many waves that flow through clouds and sunken caves...