News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Gun Talk Re: have you heard about...?

Started by emay, July 20, 2012, 09:35:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gah

Quote from: aphineday on December 18, 2012, 06:33:57 PM
Quote from: goodabouthood on December 18, 2012, 06:23:09 PM
I honestly don't see anything being done to change gun control laws. Or do you all believe that this was the tipping point? That for some reason, after the tragedy part is over, that THIS time the pain the country feels is enough to convince the 85 million gun owners and all powerful NRA that hey, maybe we should makes some compromises here. The NRA has been silent (on it's facebook, website, twitter, etc) since this occurred. No, I only see any changes being made if it's by their suggestion. Certainly not from the cowardly politicians that need the financial support.

We as a collective society have deemed this a reasonable amount of sacrifice to continue to allow the general public to be holders of military style assault rifles. Like someone said to me the other day, 85 millions gun owners didn't kill someone today, so uhhh, yeah, there's that.
If you are right (as I suspect you are), then I guess it's time for the end. Bring on the big fucking meteor, or whatever else wipes this bullshit off the planet. We don't deserve it if that's our collective attitude.

I don't think we'll be that lucky to have it end that quickly. No, it'd be a slow multi-generational messy, destructive, painful ignorance fueled demise. Or we can get our heads out of our asses and wake the fuck up. Either way.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.

sls.stormyrider

Oddly enough, within a short span of time, Gov Perry implied that he was in favor of arming teachers, stressing that the decision should be based upon local control (shootouts in school - I might try to go back)

and, the NRA broke it's silence saying that they will anounce "meaningful contributions" at a press conference on Friday.
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

barnesy305

rowjimmy

barnesy305

rowjimmy

Quote from: barnesy305 on December 18, 2012, 09:40:24 PM
Quote from: rowjimmy on December 18, 2012, 09:39:32 PM
Quote from: barnesy305 on December 18, 2012, 07:03:23 PM
Fucking people.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/12/14/world/asia/china-knife-attack/index.html

Shits fucked up but... Noticed that nobody is dead?

That's not really the point as far as I'm concerned.

I thing that it is a point worth noting.
Gun control kept him from toting in a semi-automatic rifle...

Beyond that, the common thread here is that mental illness, its stigma and inadequate treatment are the overriding culprits.

emay

Quote from: rowjimmy on December 18, 2012, 09:44:56 PM
Fucking people.

Beyond that, the common thread here is that mental illness, its stigma and inadequate treatment are the overriding culprits.

Yeah, it doesnt say 22 dead, says 22 wounded. Those people/kids still have full lives to live after this event, traumatic as it is, they can still grow up to live a full live with all the joys and struggles that are involved in the journey of life.
The 26 people that are dead from someone running into a school with a gun, had their lives cut short, some very short, on Dec. 14th. If asian dude had a gun then it would probably read 22 dead and more wounded.

twatts

Fucking people.

Are we really prepared to debate the policies of the two gov'ts in the USA and China respectively???  Sure, in China they have more stringent gun control...  They also have all kinds of other stringent rules pertianing to almost every aspect of life.  Are we ready to go to that extreme to make sure 20+ children get stabbed instead of shot??? 

Terry
Oh! That! No, no, no, you're not ready to step into The Court of the Crimson King. At this stage in your training an album like that could turn you into an evil scientist.

----------------------

I want super-human will
I want better than average skill
I want a million dollar bill
And I want it all in a Pill

aphineday

Quote from: twatts likes ghoti on December 18, 2012, 11:14:40 PM
Fucking people.

Are we really prepared to debate the policies of the two gov'ts in the USA and China respectively???  Sure, in China they have more stringent gun control...  They also have all kinds of other stringent rules pertianing to almost every aspect of life.  Are we ready to go to that extreme to make sure 20+ children get stabbed instead of shot??? 

Terry

Nobody said that, the point was just being made that gun control does seemingly work.
You can have gun control without Communism.
If we could see these many waves that flow through clouds and sunken caves...

rowjimmy

Quote from: aphineday on December 18, 2012, 11:49:31 PM
Fucking people.

Terry

Nobody said that, the point was just being made that gun control does seemingly work.
You can have gun control without Communism.

Exactly.
Leave the straw men on the fields.

PIE-GUY

Fucking people.

Terry

With all due respect, the USA has more people in prison than China. Not more per capita...straight up more people...and half of the us prison population is in for drug offenses... Essentially thought crimes.

I hate it when Americans get preachy about China and their lack of freedom. It's fucking bullshit. Our two party system is nominally better than their one party system. Our freedom of speech is a beautiful thing. At the same time, Williamson County, Texas will put you in prison for 6 months and fuck up your ability to have a career in many many fields for a single joint. 

I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

Guyute

this rambles, but I needed to get it off my chest.

Newtown occurred on the 20th anniversary of the Simon's Rock College shooting and nothing has changed.  He used an assault weapon he mail ordered. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bard_College_at_Simon%27s_Rock#1992_shooting

I grew up the same distance from Simon's Rock as I live near Newtown.  I  spent a lot of time in Gt. Barrington and had a family friend who worked there.  Now (not people I really know, but still too close to home) a member of my company's son is dead, another lost his wife, another their niece, and another's wife has to live with going through that horror.

I grew up shooting, my parents didn't have guns, but they were a part of my community.  I have shot all kinds of weapons and enjoy it.  Yet what I have never been able to understand is why anyone needs an assault weapon and oversized magazines.  This fuck reloaded twice, twice!!!!!!   26 people are dead, some shot as many as 11 times, everyone shot more than once, everyone at a distance.

We know people in the ER at Danbury Hospital.  The quote was now we know what 9/11 was like.  We told to be prepared for mass casualties, 3 showed up and then nothing.  After about 30 minutes we knew that meant it was bad, real bad.

I now need someone to explain how they can defend our gun laws to me.   1 shoe bomber and I take my shoes off at the airport.  Simon's Rock, Columbine, Aurora, Oregon, Wisconsin, how many people have to die for this right?   Not a ban, but be reasonable, I have a freedom to speech and can't walk into a theater and yell fire.

Please find someone who can defend this wide open access to weapons using and Amendment which was written when we had no truly formed national army, a musket was the weapon of choice, and we need people to have the right so we could call them to defend the country.  Find me anyone who can defend this using logic and reason, I would love the debate.
Good decisions come from experience;
Experience comes from bad decisions.

About to open a bottle of Macallan.  There's my foreign policy; I support Scotland.

rowjimmy

Well said.

This gets right to the heart of the absurdity, imo: "1 shoe bomber and I take my shoes off at the airport."

barnesy305

My point with that post is that humanity has lost it's humanity. Botton line. Carry on.

rowjimmy

Quote from: barnesy305 on December 19, 2012, 09:11:26 AM
My point with that post is that humanity has lost it's humanity. Botton line. Carry on.

The fact that you've noticed suggests that it's not entirely lost.