News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

All Things COMIC BOOKS

Started by mistercharlie, February 03, 2011, 08:33:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fauxpaxfauxreal

Good deal.  I'll pick it up the first book this weekend.

Also, I agree, the Gunslinger books are pretty decent.  I like them a lot more than I like most of the Dark Tower books after Drawing of the Three.

shoreline99

I really liked that series. The writing is superb, and as RJ said there wasn't too much fluff, and it didn't get too preachy. I'd recommend it. I'm a big Brian K. Vaughan fan.

Can't go wrong with the Sandman. Neil Gaiman's stories are worth re-reading again and again. He created a wonderful universe.

Someone just lent me the first TPB of the Mice Templar. Anyone ever read any of that series?
Quote from: rowjimmy on August 25, 2015, 11:19:15 AM
You're entitled to your opinion but I'm going to laugh at it.

fauxpaxfauxreal

I read the first five Trade paperbacks of the Last Man.

It's addictive but I disagree about it not being fluff.  I think it's incredibly 2 dimensional, but that's not to say I don't enjoy it.  I wouldn't have read all five Trades today if that was true.

I really like it, and can hardly wait to read more of it.

It would make an awesome action flick that's for sure.  Thanks for the suggestion.

rowjimmy

Quote from: fauxpaxfauxreal on February 12, 2011, 10:06:39 PM

It's addictive but I disagree about it not being fluff.  I think it's incredibly 2 dimensional, but that's not to say I don't enjoy it.  I wouldn't have read all five Trades today if that was true.

It would make an awesome action flick that's for sure.  Thanks for the suggestion.

You could say the overall series is nothing but fluff if you want every little arc to be 100% about reaching the end point. But what I meant by not a lot of fluff is that the various arcs rarely lower the quality of the book even if they don't steadily advance the overall narrative.

I agree about the film idea.

barnesy305

Quote from: rowjimmy on February 13, 2011, 03:23:23 PM

You could say the overall series is nothing but fluff if you want every little arc to be 100% about reaching the end point. But what I meant by not a lot of fluff is that the various arcs rarely lower the quality of the book even if they don't steadily advance the overall narrative.

I agree about the film idea.
I've heard a film has been in talks.

fauxpaxfauxreal

Quote from: rowjimmy on February 13, 2011, 03:23:23 PM

But what I meant by not a lot of fluff is that the various arcs rarely lower the quality of the book even if they don't steadily advance the overall narrative.

I agree with you there. 

I do think the whole thing is fluff.  But the fluff tastes damn good.  The questions get answered way too conveniently however.

rowjimmy

So let's talk Crisis on Infinite Earths...

Who's read it?
Thoughts on the crossovers, etc?

When you start looking at the index, you see that there are way more comics connected to the thing.. it's kind of dizzying...

mistercharlie

Quote from: rowjimmy on February 14, 2011, 08:25:03 AM
So let's talk Crisis on Infinite Earths...

Who's read it?
Thoughts on the crossovers, etc?

When you start looking at the index, you see that there are way more comics connected to the thing.. it's kind of dizzying...

Every 'Crisis' series that DC publishes is awesome, but yes the broad scope of every book that tie's-in with them is overwhelming. Infinite Earths was great and then the newer Infinite Crisis is almost as good if not equal to the original.
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

shoreline99

I dunno. DC lost me with the whole '52' series, and the whole death of Bruce Wayne arc confused the crap out of me. I really haven't followed a lot of their books since then.

mistercharlie

Quote from: shoreline99 on February 14, 2011, 11:22:43 AM
I dunno. DC lost me with the whole '52' series, and the whole death of Bruce Wayne arc confused the crap out of me. I really haven't followed a lot of their books since then.

I LOVED 52. It followed a bunch of c-list characters and did a great job with it. And the 'Death' of Bruce Wayne was a little off, but Battle For The Cowl was very well done. Tony S. Daniel wrote and drew some great stories in that arc.
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

shoreline99

I have to say, though, that the 6 issue 'return of batman' series was cool. It reminded me of a lot of the 'elseworlds' stuff, which i really like.

mistercharlie

Quote from: shoreline99 on February 14, 2011, 12:13:25 PM
I have to say, though, that the 6 issue 'return of batman' series was cool. It reminded me of a lot of the 'elseworlds' stuff, which i really like.

Yeah, Elseworlds was awesome. I loved In Darkest Knight where Bruce Wayne became the Green Lantern of sector 2814 instead of Hal Jordan.

barnesy305

Reading the Conan series from Dark Horse, especially the Kurt Busiek and Cary Nord issues. Nord's work reminds me of Frazetta which was the selling point for me, and the issues bookend actual Howard stories.

mistercharlie

I just read that Dwayne McDuffie passed away last week. He was only 49 and died from complications due to heart surgery. RIP

mistercharlie

X-Men: First Class hits theaters on June 3rd.