News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

This is a tour for the ages!

Started by Hicks, August 10, 2015, 12:05:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PIE-GUY

Quote from: Hicks on July 26, 2017, 02:24:08 PM
Quote from: mattstick on July 26, 2017, 02:05:50 PM

so fuck touring right? They can just do 13 night stands in one city 2 or 3 times a year...

Hmmm, not many cities they could really do that in, NYC (or surrounding area), Boston, Philly (maybe), where else?

Vegas: the town that invented residencies.
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

mattstick

I think any big US city could support it, if they could get an appropriate size venue, do ticket packages for weekends, etc...

Hicks

Quote from: PIE-GUY on July 26, 2017, 02:29:08 PM

so fuck touring right? They can just do 13 night stands in one city 2 or 3 times a year...

Hmmm, not many cities they could really do that in, NYC (or surrounding area), Boston, Philly (maybe), where else?

I dunno man, 5-6 maybe, but 13?

You would have to rely on different crews flying in and out at different times because who is going to stay in that money sucking shithole for two weeks?
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

cactusfan

Quote from: PIE-GUY on July 26, 2017, 02:29:08 PM

Or, I don't know, maybe... the SF Bay Area? Time for a west coast residency next year, having been so cruelly robbed of any Phish in 2017.

Hicks

Quote from: mattstick on July 26, 2017, 02:30:27 PM

I think any big US city could support it, if they could get an appropriate size venue, do ticket packages for weekends, etc...

They can barely sell out a single show in LA. 
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

whatapiper

Yup,  I am giddy as a school child right now, I think San Francisco could handle a residency, especially at a small venue like Bill Graham.
We are all and we are all we are
Far flung bits of Sun and bits of Stars
From the  ocean from the land from the
beginning to end
Backwards forwards back toward
we belong

anthrax

i don't think they are doing 13 nights at msg to avoid touring.  i think they are doing it because it's a venue they love and it's close to home.  i bet page and maybe fish head home on the off days.  it's a pretty easy flight from nyc to maine or vt.  being stuck in a hotel room in vegas for 3 weeks sounds like complete hell. 

mattstick

But if that's the only tour for months, people would travel to LA or San Fran.  The reason Dicks is so sold out this year is the lack of any other West Coast dates.... 

Maybe the 4 weeknight shows would be undersold slightly but that's not a huge deal in the context of not hauling the gear around and having a big road crew...

whatapiper

I'm looking at it a little differently, that article that came out in the winter, Trey made reference to them trying some new things this year to see how they worked out, I am assuming this is what he was talking about. MSG is the guinea pig.

Plus, who says they would ever stay in a hotel room, the lady and I love to do Airbnb or VRBO, I'm pretty sure each family could end up renting a pretty sick house with beyond deluxe accommodations for a run in any city. Hotels are so 1990s.
We are all and we are all we are
Far flung bits of Sun and bits of Stars
From the  ocean from the land from the
beginning to end
Backwards forwards back toward
we belong

mbw

Quote from: anthrax on July 26, 2017, 02:41:32 PM
i don't think they are doing 13 nights at msg to avoid touring.  i think they are doing it because it's a venue they love and it's close to home.

soooo, to avoid touring?

they could probably pull off a residency at UIC.

emay

The could do 13 nights at Pepsi Center in Denver I bet. I would say Dicks but I dont think they could sell out 26k that many times  esp on weekdays it will be a ghost venue.
Pepsi Center though I think they could fill in nicely. 13 nights at Red Rocks would be hard with the weather, but would be doable

ph92

Quote from: emay on July 26, 2017, 03:40:22 PM
The could do 13 nights at Pepsi Center in Denver I bet. I would say Dicks but I dont think they could sell out 26k that many times  esp on weekdays it will be a ghost venue.
Pepsi Center though I think they could fill in nicely. 13 nights at Red Rocks would be hard with the weather, but would be doable
I almost feel like because of weather, a 13 night run outside may be out of the question. I kinda assumed thats why they did it indoors during summer to eliminate that possibility
Make America Melt Again!

Quote from: runawayjimbo on July 25, 2017, 11:10:15 PM
FUCK YEAH TREY. FUCK YEAH

emay

Quote from: ph92 on July 26, 2017, 04:32:02 PM
Quote from: emay on July 26, 2017, 03:40:22 PM
I almost feel like because of weather, a 13 night run outside may be out of the question. I kinda assumed thats why they did it indoors during summer to eliminate that possibility

Def. Weather probably played a huge part. Summer '13 was miserable with the thunderstorms that followed that tour. It was terrible. I did Bangor > Northerly and it rained prob 90% of the shows, not to mention they had to cancel a set at Northerly because of it. Jones Beach was pretty much flooded during the show too.

gah

Or they just call it quits after this. Leave on a high note.

::ducks::
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.

mistercharlie

Quote from: whatapiper on July 26, 2017, 02:44:50 PM
I'm looking at it a little differently, that article that came out in the winter, Trey made reference to them trying some new things this year to see how they worked out, I am assuming this is what he was talking about. MSG is the guinea pig.

Plus, who says they would ever stay in a hotel room, the lady and I love to do Airbnb or VRBO, I'm pretty sure each family could end up renting a pretty sick house with beyond deluxe accommodations for a run in any city. Hotels are so 1990s.

They stayed at my hotel back in 2010 when they played Deer Creek. I still have their rooming list with Room numbers and their crazy aliases (Fishman was the only band member who didn't use an alias). The others were Saul Cornball (I assume this was Mike), Conrad Cave (This one was Trey), and Al Dante (Page).
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens.